Author Topic: Our future draft picks  (Read 5373 times)

Our future draft picks
« on: February 14, 2022, 08:42:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
First Rounders:

2022 - 1-4 Own; 5-30 to SAN

2023 - 1-4 Own; 5-30 to SAN if not already settled

2024 - Own

2025 - Own

2026 - Own

2027 - Own

2028 - 1 Own; less favorable of BOS 2-30 and SAN then other to SAN (via SAN swap for BOS)

Second Rounders:

2022 - Own

2023 - 31-45 to CHA; 46-60 to WAS (via CHA); Less favorable of DAL and MIA if HOU 31-32; or more favorable of (i) HOU 33-60 and (ii) less favorable of DAL and MIA (via MIA to DAL; via MEM swap of DAL or MIA for HOU) if BOS has conveyed 1st round pick to SAN by 2023; ORL 56-60; POR (via CLE to DET to LAC to ATL) if BOS has conveyed 1st round pick to SAN by 2023

2024 - To CHA if BOS 46-60 in 2023 or to WAS (via CHA) if BOS 31-45 in 2023

2025 - More favorable of BOS and MEM to OKC then other to ORL (via MEM to BOS)

2026 - Less favorable of (i) BOS and (ii) more favorable of IND and MIA then other to MEM (via MIA to IND; via MIL to MEM; via MEM swap of IND or MIA for BOS)

2027 - To ORL

2028 - 31-45 to SAN if BOS 1 in 2028; 46-60 to ORL

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Our future draft picks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:44:26 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
What are the conditions and timing conditions on what and when the Cs can trade future firsts? For example, the Cs can trade their '23 1st after the '22 draft (or draft lottery?), correct, because the '22 order will be set and the pick will be conveyed to SAS?

Trying to understand the 'no consecutive 1sts' rule. I'm sorry I'm lazy about looking these things up, just feel like others know this stuff by heart.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:49:26 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Personally, I think one of the biggest reasons the team was so fun to follow from 2016-2020 was because of the amount of draft picks Danny had accumulated. It was a lot of fun following the drafting process and reading up on prospects and watching highlight packages knowing that we had 2 or 3 1st round picks.

Now the “war chest” of picks and assets is gone, there were a lot of squandered drafting opportunities, but thank god we have two stars to show for all those picks! That’s about as much as a fan base can ask.

I hate to be a pessimist, but the team just isn’t going to be as fun to follow for the next couple of years, and a big reason for that is because the lack of draft capital…We are not quite the 90’s Celtics, but the team now finds itself in a much deeper conference than in years prior, with few picks, and little to no cap space to sign any impactful free agents.

Here’s to hoping Stevens can get lucky with some late 1sts and second rounders. I’m still really eager to see how the team drafts with Brad at the helm. But it looks like we won’t have our first sample of that until June 2023…if that pick isn’t traded away by then.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
What are the conditions and timing conditions on what and when the Cs can trade future firsts? For example, the Cs can trade their '23 1st after the '22 draft (or draft lottery?), correct, because the '22 order will be set and the pick will be conveyed to SAS?

Trying to understand the 'no consecutive 1sts' rule. I'm sorry I'm lazy about looking these things up, just feel like others know this stuff by heart.

The 2023 #1 can be traded any time after draft night, because the 2023 will no longer be a "future" pick.  The Stepien rule doesn't allow a team to trade away its "future" first rounders, if doing so would leave the team without any first rounders in two consecutive future drafts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 09:52:42 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

The C's can trade their 2023 after the draft, unless they bomb out this season and finish in the top 4, in which case they couldn't trade a 1st until 2025 at the earliest because the 2023 pick would be potentially owed to the Spurs, and the consecutive drafts rule would prevent the 2024 pick from being traded.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I hate to be a pessimist, but the team just isn’t going to be as fun to follow for the next couple of years, and a big reason for that is because the lack of draft capital…We are not quite the 90’s Celtics, but the team now finds itself in a much deeper conference than in years prior, with few picks, and little to no cap space to sign any impactful free agents.

I think that's only true if we're not winning.

I'm less upset about blowing the Sengun pick because we're playing very well now.  If we turn Horford into something, I'll feel even better about it.

But, if we're losing and still not making draft picks?  Then, it would suck royally.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 10:04:31 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

I'm less upset about blowing the Sengun pick because we're playing very well now.  If we turn Horford into something, I'll feel even better about it.

But, if we're losing and still not making draft picks?  Then, it would suck royally.

Yeah, the recent surge has made me a little less bitter out the Sengun pick. Right now it sorta seems like a small price to pay to get Kemba off the team while getting a defensive anchor in Horford in return. But if Sengun ends up maxing out his potential and becomes the next Pau Gasol I will be royally ticked off lol.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

The C's can trade their 2023 after the draft, unless they bomb out this season and finish in the top 4, in which case they couldn't trade a 1st until 2025 at the earliest because the 2023 pick would be potentially owed to the Spurs, and the consecutive drafts rule would prevent the 2024 pick from being traded.

So as soon as SAS officially drafts their player with the Cs pick, the 2023 pick is back on the table?

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 10:13:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So as soon as SAS officially drafts their player with the Cs pick, the 2023 pick is back on the table?

Yes, unless SAS ends up owning that 2023 pick.

Which, I guess, would be a mixed bag.  It means we missed the playoffs, but also that we moved up in the lottery to get a top-4 prospect.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Now the “war chest” of picks and assets is gone, there were a lot of squandered drafting opportunities, but thank god we have two stars to show for all those picks! That’s about as much as a fan base can ask.

To add to what Roy said, in addition to winning being fun to follow It's also worth noting that while we walked away with 2 Stars, it's not like those are the only 2 draft victories of the DA era that we're still benefitting from.

it's clear that Timelord is Massively outperforming his draft selection range. Smart has been fair value for where he was drafted. Grant Williams is turning into a solid rotation player and still has upside. We've given up on Langford but Nesmith may still develop and Pritchard is roughly fair value from his draft range.

All of these guys can be used in deals to acquire the 3rd star so it's really more that the Warchest has morphed from a mystery box of potential to a solid selection of mostly cost controlled B+ assets. Tack a couple of those guys with more of our picks and we could really make a run at a top 20 player.(Donovan Mitchell?!)

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Which, I guess, would be a mixed bag.  It means we missed the playoffs, but also that we moved up in the lottery to get a top-4 prospect.

right. i'm operating under the concept that we don't make it back to the lottery AND move up to the 4th pick.

basically, i'm trying to make sense of when the Cs could trade the 23 first for a Barnes or the like. sounds like a such a deal would happen after FA begins on 6/30, not around the draft (6/23).

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 11:59:02 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Yeah, the recent surge has made me a little less bitter out the Sengun pick. Right now it sorta seems like a small price to pay to get Kemba off the team while getting a defensive anchor in Horford in return. But if Sengun ends up maxing out his potential and becomes the next Pau Gasol I will be royally ticked off lol.

Trying to compete on multiple timelines is tempting and would be phenomenal if it worked, but it carries plenty of risks. If they trade some combination of firsts and any non-core salaries to get an all-star or near all-star I will be more than satisfied. The pieces are in place. Time to go for the chip.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 11:59:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

right. i'm operating under the concept that we don't make it back to the lottery AND move up to the 4th pick.

basically, i'm trying to make sense of when the Cs could trade the 23 first for a Barnes or the like. sounds like a such a deal would happen after FA begins on 6/30, not around the draft (6/23).

Correct, although nothing stops the teams from agreeing to the deal on or even before draft night and executing it afterwards.  This is not uncommon.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 12:00:04 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Yeah, I found the original post hard to follow but the reasonable assumption is that SAS will get our 2022 first and that we will own our 2023 first.  We can trade the 2023 first after the draft, so essentially in the off season.  I believe we could use it for someone like Barnes.

If by some miracle, we keep or 2022 pick, we could trade that as we approach the draft.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 12:05:53 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Correct, although nothing stops the teams from agreeing to the deal on or even before draft night and executing it afterwards.  This is not uncommon.

of course. mostly considering leverage in relation to other teams that may make offers at the same time, as is common in the NBA (considering 85-90% of deals get done one 3 calendar events a year).