Author Topic: Who Is On The Mount Rushmore Of Pro Wrestling?  (Read 28850 times)

Who Is On The Mount Rushmore Of Pro Wrestling?
« on: September 22, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I was watching an episode of Beyond The Ring, and somebody mentioned the "Mount Rushmore of Pro Wrestling", I believe in reference to Randy Savage.  It got me thinking, who belongs on there?  If we disregard morals, it seems like Flair and Hogan have to be there.  The Rock seems obvious.  Vince McMahon?

Those are probably my four, but I guarantee I'm overlooking somebody instrumental in the "sport".  Andre?  Undertaker?  Stone Cold?  Some of the pioneers? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Who Is On The Mount Rushmore Of Pro Wrestling?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 10:29:06 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hogan, Flair, Sammartino,  Austin

This is really tough, though.  Rock, Taker, Rhodes, Savage, & Andre are also right in contention for that fourth spot.

EDIT:  I already changed my #4.  That's how much I'm over thinking it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Hogan and Flair would have to be the universal locks. I'd put Andre there and have The Rock and Stone Cold battle it out for the last spot (I believe Stone Cold was a bigger star within the wrestling circles, but The Rock was more of an ambassador to the outside world).

My personal list would be Hogan, Andre, Savage and The Undertaker. Jake Roberts being a near miss, and personal favorite, and if not for such a short run and flame out, The Ultimate Warrior, whose high was as electric and iconic as any.

Admittedly, I'm omitting the NWA legends and newer guys like John Cena and Brock Lesnar who I expect would make a lot of lists.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 10:39:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’ll share a second hand story about Randy Macho Man Savage that cracks me up.

A friend of mine who lived in Staten Island worked out a gym that Savage would occasionally show up at.  My buddy said he always worked out alone and kept to himself while he lifted.  He said that he, his friends, and others would randomly shout out “oh yeah” to which Randy would always respond with his own “Oh Yeah”.   ;D  Humble, kept to himself, worked out hard, yet had fun with others by playing to his character.  Excellent!  And funny.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You probably need to pick guys that were national and not regional. So no pre WWF stars as things were more network areas.

Andre, Hogan, Flair, Undertaker

It's just not close for any other star imo.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 11:19:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
You probably need to pick guys that were national and not regional. So no pre WWF stars as things were more network areas.

Hogan and Flair are probably undisputed.  I think it gets very debatable after that. For instance, to me The Rock is clear-cut, but it seems like many others disagree. 

I think that you can make a case for a lot of guys.  The “sport” had a lot of megastars. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hogan and Flair are probably undisputed.  I think it gets very debatable after that. For instance, to me The Rock is clear-cut, but it seems like many others disagree. 

I think that you can make a case for a lot of guys.  The “sport” had a lot of megastars.

Why Rock over Austin?  Just out of curiosity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Hogan, Flair, Andre, Taker.

I personally don't like Taker but his influence/longevity is undeniable.

Honorable Mention:
Austin
Rock

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why Rock over Austin?  Just out of curiosity.

I think he probably did more to grow the sport than anybody since Hogan.  He also, just for me personally, had some more memorable matches.  But, there’s plenty of personal bias there.

I also love Stone Cold.  The way he and the Rock both could amp a crowd was unbelievable.  Stone Cold’s injury sucked big time, because he was at the top of his game.

To me, that was the second Golden Age of wrestling.  My roommate in law school was a kind of uptight, buttoned-down future doctor.  Within a few months, I had him hooked on WWE to the point of Monday night raw being the highlight of our week, and routinely ordering paper views. The performances were that compelling.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Rock wasn't in the WWE (or wresting in general) nearly as long as many of the other all timers, I think that does hurt him when talking about something like a Mount Rushmore. 

Hulk really does seem like the only given.  Probably have to go with Flair as a lock if you include all wrestling and not just WWE (or WWF).

After that though, there are so many ways to go.  You have the Undertaker, Stone Cold, the Rock, Cena, Sting, Andre, Triple H, Macho Man, Shawn Michaels, Rowdy Roddy, the Hitman, Mick Foley, and guys like Dusty Rhodes that stuck around long after they stopped wrestling.  That doesn't even account for actual Olympic style wrestlers like Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar that had great careers in wrestling. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 01:00:51 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think there are 3 no doubters, in Hogan, Flair, and Undertaker. It’s the fourth guy that is difficult to narrow down too. No wrestler probably had a greater peak than The Rock, but I’m not sure he wrestled long enough to qualify. I think it comes down to Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, and John Cena.

Subject to change, but I’ll go with Hogan, Flair, Undertaker, and Stone Cold.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 01:03:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Old School:

Starts with Bruno Sammartino. 

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 01:20:28 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Andre The Giant
Gorgeous George

All 4 of these inspire a lot of wrestlers to be wrestlers & great entertainment for us fans..also big money makers for whoever they wrestle for
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin