Author Topic: Simone Biles  (Read 44188 times)

Re: Simon Biles
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 12:26:05 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
people just have not accepted the health part of ‘mental health’. All the time you see people either mocking or deriding the mentally ill or expecting more from them when their illness is actually acknowledged. That is a problem. The young lady has come out to say she was not mentally well enough to complete the competition yet the idiot press still peppered her with questions before the entire world, and made her speak about her health…weird. And here this thread questions her in ways that she would not have been questioned if she had a physical injury…double weird.

The lack of focus she had was potentially dangerous for her physical health too, since that is all anyone really cares about.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 12:41:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
people just have not accepted the health part of ‘mental health’. All the time you see people either mocking or deriding the mentally ill or expecting more from them when their illness is actually acknowledged. That is a problem. The young lady has come out to say she was not mentally well enough to complete the competition yet the idiot press still peppered her with questions before the entire world, and made her speak about her health…weird. And here this thread questions her in ways that she would not have been questioned if she had a physical injury…double weird.

The lack of focus she had was potentially dangerous for her physical health too, since that is all anyone really cares about.

She’s not mentally ill, though.  She’s stressed and lacking focus, and is succumbing to pressure.  In evaluating a top athlete, that’s part of the package.

I guess if Jaylen misses a crucial FT in Game 7 of the Finals and then walks off the court before the second FT because he can’t take the pressure, you’ll be celebrating him for his courage?  Congratulating him for putting himself before the team?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 12:53:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

She’s not mentally ill, though.  She’s stressed and lacking focus, and is succumbing to pressure.  In evaluating a top athlete, that’s part of the package.

I guess if Jaylen misses a crucial FT in Game 7 of the Finals and then walks off the court before the second FT because he can’t take the pressure, you’ll be celebrating him for his courage?  Congratulating him for putting himself before the team?
Have we won 4 rings leading up to this? She has runs on the board
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 01:20:36 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

what is your definition of mental illness?

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 02:02:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

A psychiatric disorder that has serious impacts upon somebody’s ability to function.

So, about those JB free throws?  He gets a pass, a Pat on the back, and celebratory talk about his courage, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 02:48:30 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

A psychiatric disorder that has serious impacts upon somebody’s ability to function.

So, about those JB free throws?  He gets a pass, a Pat on the back, and celebratory talk about his courage, right?

So by your definition you cannot conclude that she does not have a mental illness. The JB hypothetical is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how people react to the JB situation, they may react just as insensitively as some are reacting to the Biles situation. If JB did that the situation would deserve concern and not ridicule.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 03:03:21 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

So by your definition you cannot conclude that she does not have a mental illness. The JB hypothetical is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how people react to the JB situation, they may react just as insensitively as some are reacting to the Biles situation. If JB did that the situation would deserve concern and not ridicule.
So if Simmons had talked about his mental health after his poor playoff performance, you would have shown concern for him rather than ridiculing him? 

If Biles is considering coming back for the individual event finals, she doesn't have a mental illness in my book. 

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2021, 05:21:04 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
She’s already got 4 Olympic gold medals and 19 World Championship golds. This is more like Michael Jordan stepping away after the first 3-peat to honour his father and play baseball than it is to Ben Simmons not improving his game IMO. Stepping away at the top of the world because something else is weighing you down is a bit different to choking from my perspective.

At a quick glance I think this sums it up pretty well.

On another note: Would you really want to be representing that moronic radio guy from earlier in the thread? The Olympics are cool because of the insane athleticism on display, but the spittle-spewing flag wavers (in every country, mind) are beyond tiresome.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2021, 05:22:50 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don't know if its a similar case. But didn't Marcus Camby had a lot of stress and anxiety back in 2001 playoffs due to the kidnapping of his family?

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2021, 05:23:36 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

So if Simmons had talked about his mental health after his poor playoff performance, you would have shown concern for him rather than ridiculing him? 

If Biles is considering coming back for the individual event finals, she doesn't have a mental illness in my book.

What if she is not?

I have advocated for Simmons to the Cs. What else do you have?

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 05:24:29 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I don't know if its a similar case. But didn't Marcus Camby had a lot of stress and anxiety back in 2001 playoffs due to the kidnapping of his family?

Clearly a sign of weakness. Unthinkable that a truly elite athlete would let something like the well being of his family interfere with his ability to put a ball through a hoop.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 07:31:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
She’s already got 4 Olympic gold medals and 19 World Championship golds. This is more like Michael Jordan stepping away after the first 3-peat to honour his father and play baseball than it is to Ben Simmons not improving his game IMO. Stepping away at the top of the world because something else is weighing you down is a bit different to choking from my perspective.

If she’d retired before the Olympics, absolutely.  But, she quit in the middle of a competition.   I think it’s different (even if it’s entirely fair to suggest that she’s Jordan with three rings).

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2021, 07:35:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Clearly a sign of weakness. Unthinkable that a truly elite athlete would let something like the well being of his family interfere with his ability to put a ball through a hoop.

1.  Camby competed;

2.  Biles said she was stressed by the weight of expectations.  That’s simply different, and is relevant when assessing athletes.

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2021, 08:09:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So when you are mentally stressed,  you are more likely to make mistakes.  In the basketball example, maybe you mistakes free throw or a defensive rotation.

When you launch your body through the air what physical damage can you do to yourself if you miss? 

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2021, 08:17:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I support her decision, however, I think she should not have waited until the last moment to make it.   It took courage to withdraw but I don't she is a hero to do so.  She was contemplating retirement at one point earlier in the year, decided she wanted to compete.  If you're not fully engaged do the right thing  and not wait until the last minute.