Author Topic: Catholic ads on Celticsstrong  (Read 28200 times)

Re: Catholic ads on Celticsstrong
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here's a new one. Honestly, enough is enough with this stuff.

Yeah.  Most of the ads are, to me, easy to ignore or laugh off.  This one is just deeply offensive to many, many people.

Even though I have nothing to do with the ads, I'm sorry our members are subjected to that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2021, 12:14:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah.  Most of the ads are, to me, easy to ignore or laugh off.  This one is just deeply offensive to many, many people.

Even though I have nothing to do with the ads, I'm sorry our members are subjected to that.
Yeah. Ad isn't even correct.  I mean it presupposes that God didn't invent gay people, which obviously can't be true since God invented everything.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah. Ad isn't even correct.  I mean it presupposes that God didn't invent gay people, which obviously can't be true since God invented everything.

Definitely one of the dumber ones.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If you are so offended, maybe you should buy up all the advertising.  Many (most?) dont share your worldview.

If you are insinuating that most people are in favor of 'protecting' their families from gay people, then I don't know what to say. Maybe we should have ads like, 'protect your families from black people' or 'protect your families from giving women the right to vote' - see what I did there. Judging by your response, I'd guess you would probably favor those ads, as well.

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2021, 12:20:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I appreciate the more prominent members of the site saying they oppose this ad (as well as the others). I know that it's nobody's fault, but I mentioned this a year or so ago as something I was afraid might happen.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:49:39 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

If you are so offended, maybe you should buy up all the advertising.  Many (most?) dont share your worldview.

Unfortunately, it looks like the link to the ad is no longer in Jambrs post so I can't speak specifically to my agreement or disagreement re: the world view presented.  I will say that Jambr is a thoughtful and reasonable poster and even if I disagreed with his view on this ad, I'd most likely respect his view as I think many if not most here would.

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The problem for me is not the particular views that the ads are expressing. I just don't enjoy seeing partisan, sectarian, political messages when I come to this site, especially if it's purposefully controversial and click-baity.

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2021, 02:22:59 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

If you are insinuating that most people are in favor of 'protecting' their families from gay people, then I don't know what to say. Maybe we should have ads like, 'protect your families from black people' or 'protect your families from giving women the right to vote' - see what I did there. Judging by your response, I'd guess you would probably favor those ads, as well.

Thats not very nice of you.  You seem hostile to people with other view points on lifestyle choices.  BTW, many blacks are offended by that comparison.  They are also more hostile to gay marriage than white people. 

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2021, 02:33:27 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Anyone want to take the odds on this particular strand of the conversation remaining productive?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2021, 02:36:53 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Thats not very nice of you.  You seem hostile to people with other view points on lifestyle choices.  BTW, many blacks are offended by that comparison.  They are also more hostile to gay marriage than white people.

A "black" here. Not offended by that comparison at all.

I agree with Jambr's point and I think he's been respectful in expressing it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2021, 02:45:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone want to take the odds on this particular strand of the conversation remaining productive?
Strangely enough, the ad seems to be working.

It's divisive and is attempting to incite anger and elicit negative reactions from both sides on a very sensitive subject.

At this point, we can't let the ad win. We can either:

1. Switch our browsers to an ad blocking browser(I have)
2. We can learn to ignore the ads(admittedly this isn't easy for many)
3. We can all boycott CelticsStrong until byennie gets that media company from showing those ads or hires a different media agency.

I chose option #1 as I couldn't do option #2, the ads were just hitting subjects that bothered me, and byennie is a nice guy and I like CelticsStrong as a community so also couldn't do #3.

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Gay people exist and will continue to exist in this free country of ours. Your family isn't being wronged by their existence. The ad suggesting one needs a filter to block out "pride" is hateful and paranoid, and has no place on this site. Diversity is the spice of life. Not everyone is the same. Why can't we just live our lives and not obsess about how others are living theirs.

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
On a lighter note:

I need a filter that shelters me from all references to LeBron, Space Jam, and the Lakers. And possibly the colors purple and gold. Can someone tech-savvy make this happen?

I would also like to protect my family from Country Music.

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2021, 03:58:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
On a lighter note:

I need a filter that shelters me from all references to LeBron, Space Jam, and the Lakers. And possibly the colors purple and gold. Can someone tech-savvy make this happen?

I would also like to protect my family from Country Music.

if (randomWord == "LeBron" || randomWord == "Space Jam" || randomWord == "Lakers" || randomWord == "purple and gold" )
{
randomWord = "LOSER";
}

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2021, 04:07:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Gay people exist and will continue to exist in this free country of ours. Your family isn't being wronged by their existence. The ad suggesting one needs a filter to block out "pride" is hateful and paranoid, and has no place on this site. Diversity is the spice of life. Not everyone is the same. Why can't we just live our lives and not obsess about how others are living theirs.

Well said.   

I've now seen the ad (it didn't show on my laptop because my ad blocker blocked it) and I understand better now why it triggered this response.    I guess I'll block the ads now on my phone too. 

The other provocative religion ads were annoying, this one is over the top.   Really needs to be addressed/ stopped.