C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59005 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2017, 07:58:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Still F-. ;)

But seriously, Kyrie looks great. His defense and leadership have been better than expected. That said, it’s toughto give the trade a final grade until we see how IT performs and where the BRK pick falls.

Doesn't it matter that CLE resigns IT? I think that is a huge factor.

It is, but say Isaiah leads them to a Finals win and he leaves. Then CLE would have won the trade.

If the Cavs win the Finals, IT won’t have “led them” to the win. He might be a contributor, but LBJ is the best player on that team, even with a full-strength Isaiah, and it isn’t close.

You have to compare what the players do and how the pick lands. Right now, Boston is ahead (given that IT hasn’t played yet and JC’s replacements are significantly outplaying him, it’s pretty clear). We’ll see what happens. If KI keeps doing what he’s doing or improves a bit and IT is about 75% of last years version, and the Nets pick is high lottery, I call the trade for Boston whether Cleveland wins or not. Especially if KI’s performance goes up another notch next year and he’s on the books for 10 million less than we’d have had to pay IT...

I mean yeah that's what I meant. Isaiah helps lead them to a Finals win (as a #2 guy).

And yeah it does depend on where BKN pick lands, which fortunately looks like it could land close to #10 (give or take a few spots), so likely NOT a Top-5 pick.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Still F-. ;)

But seriously, Kyrie looks great. His defense and leadership have been better than expected. That said, it’s toughto give the trade a final grade until we see how IT performs and where the BRK pick falls.

It is, but say Isaiah leads them to a Finals win and he leaves. Then CLE would have won the trade.

If the Cavs win the Finals, IT won’t have “led them” to the win. He might be a contributor, but LBJ is the best player on that team, even with a full-strength Isaiah, and it isn’t close.

You have to compare what the players do and how the pick lands. Right now, Boston is ahead (given that IT hasn’t played yet and JC’s replacements are significantly outplaying him, it’s pretty clear). We’ll see what happens. If KI keeps doing what he’s doing or improves a bit and IT is about 75% of last years version, and the Nets pick is high lottery, I call the trade for Boston whether Cleveland wins or not. Especially if KI’s performance goes up another notch next year and he’s on the books for 10 million less than we’d have had to pay IT...

I mean yeah that's what I meant. Isaiah helps lead them to a Finals win (as a #2 guy).

And yeah it does depend on where BKN pick lands, which fortunately looks like it could land close to #10 (give or take a few spots), so likely NOT a Top-5 pick.
Frankly, I don’t judge the trade by how Cleveland does.  So what if IT contributes to a title in Cleveland?  He wasn’t going to do that there and then we’d be forced to overpay him.  Kyrie is 100% keeper and that’s enough for me.

« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Still F-. ;)

Frankly, I don’t judge the trade by how Cleveland does.  So what if IT contributes to a title in Cleveland?  He wasn’t going to do that there and then we’d be forced to overpay him.  Kyrie is 100% keeper and that’s enough for me.

He's loyal as the day is long, too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:00 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
F-

I was wondering what people think about this trade now?

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
F-

Well I made this poll/thread and originally gave it a C/C-.

Now I'll give it a solid B.  :)

Nets Pick unfortunately looks like it will be Top-6. Also depends if Kyrie re-signs here or not in 2 years when he hits FA (there's still the risk he bolts).

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I gave it a B+ and now would move it to an A/A- 

But final grade will have to wait until we see what is gotten from BKLN Pick.

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2018, 09:58:57 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
F-

Well I made this poll/thread and originally gave it a C/C-.

Now I'll give it a solid B.  :)

Nets Pick unfortunately looks like it will be Top-6. Also depends if Kyrie re-signs here or not in 2 years when he hits FA (there's still the risk he bolts).

Agree on both counts - and Irving can be a flake.
He is notorious for becoming "bored" with his current situation. Supposedly needs a new challenge and all that. Funny how stars from the past didn't complain about being bored with their teams or just had to be "The Man" somewhere. McHale loved playing with Bird, Dr. J was very happy to have Moses join the Sixers and Magic was quite content to leave the Lakers as Kareem's team.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I was curious to see if the old board got fired up about 22 minutes of Kyrie not looking the best.

Seriously though, Kyrie is still tradeable. Not that I am saying we should.. we should definitely get at least one playoffs out of him, but if something came up, say a deadline deal for Gasol and Tyreke??
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2018, 10:30:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was curious to see if the old board got fired up about 22 minutes of Kyrie not looking the best.

Seriously though, Kyrie is still tradeable. Not that I am saying we should.. we should definitely get at least one playoffs out of him, but if something came up, say a deadline deal for Gasol and Tyreke??
SMH. Kyrie for a player on an expiring contract that could just leave and 33 year old Marc Gasol who has become slow on defense and a lot less efficient on offense?

Ummmm...no

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What? Are you suggesting a trade of Kyrie for Gasol and Evans? That would be bad on so many levels. Not only would it help cement the 'Traitor Danny' narrative, but it is terrible value. Kyrie may be tradable, but only in like a 1 for 1 deal for AD. Otherwise, it's time to commit to our franchise leader now and in the future.

Agree on both counts - and Irving can be a flake.
He is notorious for becoming "bored" with his current situation. Supposedly needs a new challenge and all that. Funny how stars from the past didn't complain about being bored with their teams or just had to be "The Man" somewhere. McHale loved playing with Bird, Dr. J was very happy to have Moses join the Sixers and Magic was quite content to leave the Lakers as Kareem's team.

I also disagree with this. If you think the reason Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland was because he didn't want to play with another great player and that he was 'bored', then I think you are missing the whole point. It is possible that Kyrie doesn't stay in Boston long-term, but so far so good. As for wanting a challenge, is there a more engaging coach the Brad Stevens?

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Huh? Kyrie for Gasol + Tyreke???

I mean sure he's not untouchable but for that trade idea he better be...

« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is this a joke post?

You can't seriously be suggesting this, rofl
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Kyrie looked amazing at the beginning of the season. Now Rozier looks amazing.

« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Kyrie looked amazing at the beginning of the season. Now Rozier looks amazing.

Hey, Smart's time has to be coming, right?  :P

« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Bias aside, he'd be our best trade asset for Davis.  Im sure itd make us better, but obviously that would negate a lot of the benefit of landing Davis.  And obviously Ainge woulsnt do that with his love for guards and Kyrie.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC