Poll

Who's playing the worst?

Terry Rozier
Jaylen Brown
Gordon Hayward
Marcus Smart
Jayson Tatum

Author Topic: Worst Rotation Player right now?  (Read 2615 times)

Worst Rotation Player right now?
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:58:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Morris is playing out of his mind. Horford's doing his thing. Kyrie's finding his rhythm. Baynes is hitting threes. But on the other end of the spectrum, we have guys who don't look like they were part of that gritty wrecking crew that made it to the ECF last year.

Tatum's been struggling, Smart can't buy a bucket even with his new multi-million dollar contract, Hayward can't break a leg (too soon?), Brown is playing like current day TMac, and Rozier's just been downright scary in a not-good way. Who do you guys think is playing the worst right now (and should probably have their minutes cut)?

I gotta go with T-Ro. Just playing selfish out there and not making things happen. I appreciate the rebounds but the guy looks like he's chasing a contract out there.

- LilRip

Re: Worst Rotation Player right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not sure how you can go with anyone but Brown. His stats, in every area, are worse than all the rest of the rotational players. His shooting has been coming around and his defense has been great but he needs to play more like the player in last year's playoffs than the 5th banana he is playing now.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:19:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not sure how you can go with anyone but Brown. His stats, in every area, are worse than all the rest of the rotational players. His shooting has been coming around and his defense has been great but he needs to play more like the player in last year's playoffs than the 5th banana he is playing now.
I voted Terry. Similarly awful on offence, but IMO worse defensively
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:48:34 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
Rozier.
The construction of the roster + the way he is playing clearly shows he is not a part of the Cs future.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:30:04 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I voted Terry. Similarly awful on offence, but IMO worse defensively
I agree that it's Terry.  It's true that Brown is playing like the 5th banana but Rozier is playing like the 8th or 9th banana.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It’s T.Rosè. Guy is just playing hero ball.
He’s a PG with a shoot first mindset, dribbles in circles, into traffic and takes circus shots. He had a similar game last year, difference being he hit those shots. That said it drove me insane last season and is really bothering me this season.

Honorable mention to Hayward. Some games he looks good some nights he looks lost. I think it’s psychological with him tho and I’m hopeful it improves in time. I also love his court awareness and asides from the inbound pass at the end of the game last night feel his passing has been the among best on the team this year. Either way his contract has a scary Chandler Parsonseque feeling to it right now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:23:04 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love the guy, but Rozier is the guy who seems the most out of sorts right now with his role.

If we want to use percentage of payroll as a main factor, then it's Hayward by a country mile. I don't worry about him having a Parsons-like injury riddled career, but I am just hoping for Joe Ingles-like production and efficiency moving forward. I know it takes time to recover, but being happy that he can dunk the ball or make an open mid-range jumper seems insulting based on the player he once was.

Smart should also get plenty of criticism. Somehow his shooting in all facets of the game seems to get worse each year he is in the league. I am glad that he is an elite defender and that he is shooting less, but for a guard who can't drive to the hoop, it is still very alarming.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
i voted for Hayward..i know it will take awhile to get his body into NBA shape but will he be the player he was at Utah? i dont think so and hope im wrong..he did severe damage to both his leg and ankle..he just look average so far
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Voted Brown , he is the most disappointment so far
Rozier played the worst but he haven't show anything of consistence ever and he was a backup
Hayward has a pass

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Voted Brown , he is the most disappointment so far
Rozier played the worst but he haven't show anything of consistence ever and he was a backup
Hayward has a pass

So your real answer is Rozier.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Hayward. Browns struggles and to an extent tatums is also directly correlated to hayward being back in the lineup. Everyone is way to concerned with getting him going instead of playing like they did last year

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Rozier.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hayward. Browns struggles and to an extent tatums is also directly correlated to hayward being back in the lineup. Everyone is way to concerned with getting him going instead of playing like they did last year
Rozier isn’t concerned with getting anyone going but himself
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Some possibly surprising numbers from the plus-minus bin:

1. For all Kyrie's seemingly improved defensive effort, we give up nearly 10 points more (per 100 possessions) with him on the court vs off.

2. The only rotation player who's worse? Marcus Morris. His defensive on/off is 112/93(!).

3. Our best defenders by that metric? Tatum (+11) and, in a shocking development, Smart (+9).

4. Our offense is 10 points better with Smart on the floor (112/102).

5. By net plus/minus our three best players have been Smart, Baynes and Tatum, in that order. Our three worst have been Irving, Horford and Hayward.

Yes, I know, something something eye test something something small sample. But I've watched the games closely and some of this surprised me.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Some possibly surprising numbers from the plus-minus bin:

1. For all Kyrie's seemingly improved defensive effort, we give up nearly 10 points more (per 100 possessions) with him on the court vs off.

2. The only rotation player who's worse? Marcus Morris. His defensive on/off is 112/93(!).

3. Our best defenders by that metric? Tatum (+11) and, in a shocking development, Smart (+9).

4. Our offense is 10 points better with Smart on the floor (112/102).

5. By net plus/minus our three best players have been Smart, Baynes and Tatum, in that order. Our three worst have been Irving, Horford and Hayward.

Yes, I know, something something eye test something something small sample. But I've watched the games closely and some of this surprised me.

I'm surprised Horford is on the crappy play list as he's a good shotblocker, but I can see how mediocre rebounding from the center position kills his plus minus.

Sadly, Hayward is no surprise.  He's been a huge disappointment this season.  The only tittle he's currently competing for is biggest beta-male in the NBA.   

The Celtics really can't afford another Max contract player who averages 15 ppg.