Author Topic: Brad, please make Hayward the sixth man  (Read 14222 times)

Re: Brad, please make Hayward the sixth man
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
We have one of the best bench units in the league with Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis and Baynes. Once they play together long enough, our starting five will also be on of the best in the league. There is absolutely no reason to change things as Stevens can just use rotational substitutions to have a starter or two play with the bench or a bench player or two play with mostly starters. And in that way he can balance out the minutes and not insult any of the 5 star starters who have all earned spots as starters.

Hasn't Baynes earned his place by anchoring the best defensive team with the best defensive rating in the league?

I worry that with Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford together some guys get fewer shots than they need to get into the rythm of the game, while that second unit has too many bad or inconsistent shooters.

Apart from that I believe Stevens has a tendency to go too small. While the Celtics have had the best results when Baynes played 20+ minutes, besides that Theis has proven himself as well.
No. Baynes was a substitution in the starting lineup for a hurt Gordon Hayward. The team is still the best defense in the league and that's with Hayward starting in 5 of 6 games and Baynes not playing in two games. Baynes is a bench player.

And as I said, your concern of shots available is easily answered through substitution patterns. This is not hockey where you have to have entire line changes. There is no reason to have two completely different lineups, starters and bench. Simply substitute to create a bunch of different lineups mixing starters and bench players.

I'm not sure Baynes gets enough credit. For now Baynes is the best on the team at defensive rating, net rating and rebound rate.

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
We have one of the best bench units in the league with Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis and Baynes. Once they play together long enough, our starting five will also be on of the best in the league. There is absolutely no reason to change things as Stevens can just use rotational substitutions to have a starter or two play with the bench or a bench player or two play with mostly starters. And in that way he can balance out the minutes and not insult any of the 5 star starters who have all earned spots as starters.

Hasn't Baynes earned his place by anchoring the best defensive team with the best defensive rating in the league?

I worry that with Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford together some guys get fewer shots than they need to get into the rythm of the game, while that second unit has too many bad or inconsistent shooters.

Apart from that I believe Stevens has a tendency to go too small. While the Celtics have had the best results when Baynes played 20+ minutes, besides that Theis has proven himself as well.
No. Baynes was a substitution in the starting lineup for a hurt Gordon Hayward. The team is still the best defense in the league and that's with Hayward starting in 5 of 6 games and Baynes not playing in two games. Baynes is a bench player.

And as I said, your concern of shots available is easily answered through substitution patterns. This is not hockey where you have to have entire line changes. There is no reason to have two completely different lineups, starters and bench. Simply substitute to create a bunch of different lineups mixing starters and bench players.

I'm not sure Baynes gets enough credit. For now Baynes is the best on the team at defensive rating, net rating and rebound rate.
And yet is a bench player on this team.

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2018, 06:47:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Our starting lineup is fine. Quit screwing around with it.

Our starting lineup from last year was fine as well.

When everybody is healthy we have the center position covered with Baynes, Theis and Williams. Horford can play PF which is more his natural position.

PG: Irving (28), Rozier (20)
SG: Brown (24), Smart (24)
SF: Tatum (28), Hayward (16), Brown (+4)
PF: Horford (24), Morris (16), Hayward (+8)
C: Baynes (20), Theis (16), Williams (+8), Horford (+4)
That is way too little MPG for our stars, and probably too many minutes for Williams too

Over the first 6 games the players that played more minutes than what I suggest are Tatum (5), Irving (3), Morris (+8), Rozier (3), Ojeleye (5) and Yabusele (4).

Probably less of a difference than you'd have thought. But it shows my preference of playing bigger than Stevens. Also I'd like to develop Williams and do not care too much about Ojeleye and Yabusele. Morris is the biggest victim by downgrading his minutes from 24 mpg to 16 mpg.

Although injuries give more playing time options than can expected on paper. The injury to Theis would increase minutes to players like Morris and Williams.
The only really standout among those in minutes is Morris, who has arguably been our best player.

But I don't think having an 11 man rotation long-term is the way Stevens will roll. I agree with you about developing Williams, but I think at this stage winning has to take the frontseat, and giving Morris 20+MPG is the way to help that cause. I also think when Hayward's minute restriction is lifted he will move closer to 30+MPG.

I just don't see our All-Star caliber players (besides Al) averaging less than 30MPG
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

True, "on this team".  But that's because we have a really, really, really talented starting 5!

I'm a huge Baynes fan and agree with the notion that he doesn't get enough credit.   And I DO believe that our defense is at it's best when he and Horford are in the front court together.   Moving Al to the 4 just has so many benefits on D (and quite a few on O as well).   The two together were just a statistical shutdown nightmare last year.  And the threesome of Baynes+Horford+Brown was phenomenal.  A massive +18 net rating.

But I also believe firmly that Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are all too talented overall of basketball players to not start them.   So I'm totally a believer in our current starting 5 and see no reason to mess with.

Baynes will get plenty of usage off the bench and the occasional spot start.  There will be games where he plays 20+ minutes.  And others when we don't need the size and defensive presence that he provides.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

True, "on this team".  But that's because we have a really, really, really talented starting 5!

I'm a huge Baynes fan and agree with the notion that he doesn't get enough credit.   And I DO believe that our defense is at it's best when he and Horford are in the front court together.   Moving Al to the 4 just has so many benefits on D (and quite a few on O as well).   The two together were just a statistical shutdown nightmare last year.  And the threesome of Baynes+Horford+Brown was phenomenal.  A massive +18 net rating.

But I also believe firmly that Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are all too talented overall of basketball players to not start them.   So I'm totally a believer in our current starting 5 and see no reason to mess with.

Baynes will get plenty of usage off the bench and the occasional spot start.  There will be games where he plays 20+ minutes.  And others when we don't need the size and defensive presence that he provides.
TP. Agree with everything here

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Every game that passes it becomes more clear that Brown should be on the bench and Smart should start
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2018, 10:07:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Every game that passes it becomes more clear that Brown should be on the bench and Smart should start

It is amazing that I just watched the same game, and I respectfully completely disagree with you. lol...

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2018, 10:16:02 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
He'd be a great 6th man, but now is not the time imo.  Give him a chance for confidence instillation while he gets his feel for the game back in check.

He's still a step slow, and unfortunately we don't know how long this will last, or if it will even change (I think it will). Maybe next year is his year.

In which case, do we ride it out? If he goes to the bench this year, will he ever make it back into the starting lineup?

Lotta questions. Lotta dominos. Lotta jumpshots.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 10:20:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He'd be a great 6th man, but now is not the time imo.  Give him a chance for confidence instillation while he gets his feel for the game back in check.

He's still a step slow, and unfortunately we don't know how long this will last, or if it will even change (I think it will). Maybe next year is his year.

In which case, do we ride it out? If he goes to the bench this year, will he ever make it back into the starting lineup?

Jaylen is my candidate for the bench.... Smart should be starting... allows Jaylen to headline the second unit. I wish the NBA would move away from the concept of starters vs bench players.

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 10:31:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

It is amazing that I just watched the same game, and I respectfully completely disagree with you. lol...
I feel the same way. Just don't get that take. Pretty obvious to me he has been one of the best Celtics on the floor the last two nights and deserves his starting position. His defense has been great

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2018, 11:12:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I feel the same way. Just don't get that take. Pretty obvious to me he has been one of the best Celtics on the floor the last two nights and deserves his starting position. His defense has been great
I agreed with Moranis prior to the two Detroit games, because I thought JB needed to get some touches. Now he looks like what I expected, or at least close to it

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I agreed with Moranis prior to the two Detroit games, because I thought JB needed to get some touches. Now he looks like what I expected, or at least close to it

I didn't get to see the game tonight, but from the box score it's hard to fathom that smart outplayed brown tonight

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2018, 11:34:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I didn't get to see the game tonight, but from the box score it's hard to fathom that smart outplayed brown tonight
He definitely didn't, although his effort at the end of the game did save us a bit

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2018, 12:08:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I think Hayward looks way more healthy and athletically fluid than he did even a week ago.  I thought he played well tonight, the shots just didn't go down.

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2018, 12:49:57 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

There has to be continuity. Regardless of how deep this team is, you can’t just start benching guys if they string together a couple subpar games.

Hayward looks slow, he should come off the bench!
Brown needs touches, Smart should start over him!

The reality is these our are starters. They may have good games or bad, but they will be our starters.

The more reps they get now, the better they will be come playoffs.
CELTICS 2024