What would you do?

Exercise
26 (32.5%)
Decline
46 (57.5%)
Unsure
8 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?  (Read 6720 times)

Re: Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I voted no, but I do wonder if he might have Terry Rozier like trajectory.  Rozier looked awful early on, but hit another gear seemingly out of nowhere.

It wasn't out of nowhere for me. I saw signs even in his rookie year.

Nor for me. 

What I was seeing:  Quick, flexible, “juicy“ joints – combined with good length and fine motor skills.  It turns out that he has an exemplary work ethic and a winner’s mentality as well; combine those together, and there’s a high probability that a player will develop an effective jumpshot and other skills that he needs.

I know that there is a reckoning coming next summer, but I’d say  that the Celtics are very fortunate to have a backup ballhandler like him, at least for this season. I think that it is apparent from the preseason games that he’s put time over the summer into finishing in the paint, finding open teammates, and making uncontested midrange jumpers off the dribble.

I don't see the same potential in Yabu, despite really wanting to.

I am in more of the “glass half full“ school when it comes to him than you are, I think.  His upside is “triple threat big man“; the coaching staff had him working during summer league on facilitating the offense from up top, where he could make decisions, drive, shoot, or make a play.  His skill set is very unusual for someone his size, so, no matter how his future in Boston turns out, he’s going to keep getting chances.

I would not place too much store in his shooting percentages, by the way. The sample size is just too small. If he had made two more of the three pointers that he took, he would have shot .378 -  and posters would see him very differently. Two shots missed or made is essentially noise in the data.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:48:01 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Any news? Two more days...  :D

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 04:45:55 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I was on the fence before, but his garbage-time stints push me back into the "no" category. He isn't showing anything a two-way contract player couldn't do for the Cs at much less cost.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
decline..hes just a 12th man on bench and always will be..his best chance of playing is overseas
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2018, 08:54:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think he gets it picked up.   

C's could lose Morris and Theis after this year leaving a gap in the front court.  Also, no guarantee the C's get the Sac pick or the Memphis pick this year to fill those spots with a decent prospect but even if they get both, they're still just adding rookies who are unlikely to provide much help for a championship drive.

Semi hasn't established himself this season as better than last year.  decent defender whose shot looks worse than last year.   Williams looks like he can be a good backup center but his offense doesn't look like much so far.

Yabu probably gets one more year to show something.  He doesn't look as lost as James Young did so I think he gets that chance.

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I think he is a goner
The fact Stevens play Williams over Yabu last game says it all
Also as expected even third string guard can drive past him easily, which means even if he has an great passing/shooting game he will be hard to get on court in playoffs, let alone he has none
I think Ainge is ready to cut his failure

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I voted “decline”.

Danny didn’t agree with me. The Cs exercised the option. I defer to DA’s judgment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/9szw87/shams_sources_the_boston_celtics_have_exercised/

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2018, 10:44:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I voted “decline”.

Danny didn’t agree with me. The Cs exercised the option. I defer to DA’s judgment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/9szw87/shams_sources_the_boston_celtics_have_exercised/
I think Danny and Brad agree with you but think he was renewed because he is a $3 million trade piece. It's sorta like when Danny used to sign players at the end of the year with the next year completely unguaranteed then used that player in a trade that off season.

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I voted “decline”.

I think Danny and Brad agree with you but think he was renewed because he is a $3 million trade piece. It's sorta like when Danny used to sign players at the end of the year with the next year completely unguaranteed then used that player in a trade that off season.

TP,, nick.

In that light, I understand the move.

Hey, who knows, maybe Yabs will have a “ahaah” moment, and it’ll all click for him. Don’t think it’s going to happen, though. Well see, but the trade filler angle makes a lot of sense.