What would you do?

Exercise
26 (32.5%)
Decline
46 (57.5%)
Unsure
8 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?  (Read 6738 times)

Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?
« on: October 06, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Deadline October 31.

Spotrac.com lists Yabusele's team option as $3,117,240.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/guerschon-yabusele-20221/

Re: Poll: Exercise or Decline Yabusele's Third-Year Option?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The Celtics are going to need some cheap talent going forward and I think Yabu still has a lot of potential. He'll likely be worth the (relatively) small amount of money.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Decline..never be nothing but 12th man off anyone bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
such big predictions based on so little evidence.

look back at bradley and perk's early careers. they showed very little, but turned out all right. yabu might be all right. he might be a nothing.

the point is that we do not know as it is way too early.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Exercise = the guy has got good talent to be a quality backup PF. Good size and athleticism. Can shoot the ball from the perimeter. Can fake and drive. Can score in transition. Defense still needs work and his rebounding could be better ... but there is talent there. Keep him and develop that talent.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
There's little reason to decline that option. He should be easy enough to move even if we eventually give up on him. There are always rebuilding teams willing to take a shot on guys like Yab.

And he's at least another matching salary if we make a trade.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
There's essentially no chance that option doesn't get picked up. He was drafted as a project big with a good physical toolset, and in the event he puts it together he's a very good fit for what Stevens likes his bigs to be able to do. The salary's also a nice trade-building chip for salary matching, for what it's worth.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The Celtics are going to need some cheap talent going forward and I think Yabu still has a lot of potential. He'll likely be worth the (relatively) small amount of money.
What is his NBA skill?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
What is his NBA skill?

Falling on the floor?

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What is his NBA skill?

Falling on the floor?

Sitting on the bench

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
We need salary for the definitely gonna happen no doubt in my mind shut up Anthony Davis trade so hell to the yes. Plus, we need an end of the bench cool/ funny guy with a fun name to yell at the end of games.

YABUUUUU
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
At the end of last year I was a straight no. At least in the preseason games he looks to have a few NBA skills. He knows how to use his size in the post against a smaller player. He is not completely lost on defense. I think they could reasonably decide either way, and it probably comes down to how they want to manage the luxury tax and the repeater tax.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Why not exercise (the demon)? There are always options if we need to rid ourselves of him.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've consistently said that he has already proven to have NBA level rebounding and outside shooting skills. He also keeps the offense moving side to side from the top of the key, which is a key ability for big men in the modern NBA.

He's still struggling to find a rhythm scoring in other ways. Whether that is due to length (getting his shot blocked) or due to inability, I think remains to be seen.

His defense has not been great. He is consistently out of position, he cannot switch onto smaller players, and he is foul-prone.

I'm still convinced that Yabu could score 16-20 points per game on a bottom-dweller team that needed scoring. The question is whether or not he can contribute to winning.

In other words, right now, he is more Mo Speights than Kyle O'Quinn. Both are productive players, but only one has contributed to wins in his career.

I don't see a reason why we wouldn't pick up his option. His teammates seem to like him. He has decent upside as an offensive-minded big. He is on a cost-controlled contract. I don't think his contract will have significant tax implications. Now, picking up his 4th year option might be a different question, as his fourth year will cost closer to 5 million.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Why not exercise (the demon)? There are always options if we need to rid ourselves of him.

I agree with this.  Why not?

While I haven't ever really be overly impressed by Yabu, he does have some skills, isn't a locker room problem at all, works hard when he is on the court.  Our lineup is just stacked this year though.  I also wonder if Williams continues to impress it may even be harder for Yabu to get minutes.  He could be future trade fodder.