Author Topic: Alabama v. Ohio St.  (Read 5869 times)

Alabama v. Ohio St.
« on: January 02, 2021, 12:43:34 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The two biggest brand names in college football (at least right now).  The old HOF coach vs. the young upstart.  The team that didn't belong vs. the favorite all year.  Both had super dominant convincing victories in the semis.  Should be a good national championship in a very strange year in college football.  Two unbeatens.  The two best teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Alabama v. Ohio St.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 02:14:35 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Was very impressed by Ohio state today. Was glad fields did not get injured and have to leave the game. Lawrence looked really rattled all game. I’ll root for anyone against Alabama at this point, but I can’t help but feel like Alabama will win. I hope I am wrong

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Was very impressed by Ohio state today. Was glad fields did not get injured and have to leave the game. Lawrence looked really rattled all game. I’ll root for anyone against Alabama at this point, but I can’t help but feel like Alabama will win. I hope I am wrong
This is one time that I hope you're 100% correct.  Ohio State looked impressive but Clemson looked unimpressive too.  OSU caught a break with the Clemson OC being unavailable for the game due to Covid.  Now it looks like Texas is hiring Bama's OC.  The big question is how good are OSU's offensive and defensive lines.  Bama's starting center being out injured could be a really big deal against OSU.  Fingers crossed that Waddle is back from injury for the game. 

Even if I weren't a Bama fan, I'd be rooting against OSU.  Don't want to see them rewarded for playing so few games and definitely don't want the Big Ten rewarded after bungling Covid. 

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 02:46:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Bit off-topic, but can we PLEASE for the love of god stop putting Notre Dame in these games. I know it wasn't a blowout loss, but literally everyone and their mother expected Alabama to win that convincingly. Notre Dame benefitted from playing Clemson without Lawrence the first time in which they still only barely beat them in OT, then got blown out by Clemson again with Lawrence yet still were #4.

Also I know Ohio State had a great win over Clemson, but the fact that they got in at #3 despite only playing 6 games just doesn't fit well with me. Teams like Texas A&M and Oklahoma IMO were more deserving as they played all their games (10-11 games) and had quality wins too along the way.

If anything, expanded playoffs HAS to be a thing. Should have been this season with COVID, but going forward an 8-team playoff is needed. Can't believe it's still not a thing. It's unfair to a handful of teams.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 02:54:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Note Dame has an embarrassing record in big games

They're like 0-7 in the recent past

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 05:02:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Bit off-topic, but can we PLEASE for the love of god stop putting Notre Dame in these games. I know it wasn't a blowout loss, but literally everyone and their mother expected Alabama to win that convincingly. Notre Dame benefitted from playing Clemson without Lawrence the first time in which they still only barely beat them in OT, then got blown out by Clemson again with Lawrence yet still were #4.

Also I know Ohio State had a great win over Clemson, but the fact that they got in at #3 despite only playing 6 games just doesn't fit well with me. Teams like Texas A&M and Oklahoma IMO were more deserving as they played all their games (10-11 games) and had quality wins too along the way.

If anything, expanded playoffs HAS to be a thing. Should have been this season with COVID, but going forward an 8-team playoff is needed. Can't believe it's still not a thing. It's unfair to a handful of teams.
Going to 8 teams (7 games instead of 3) during Covid would have been an idiotic thing to do.  It would have greatly increased the chance that Covid would impact the playoffs. 

I might have gone with Texas A&M at #4.  However Bama had already blown them out and ND arguably had the best win beating Clemson.  I see no argument for Oklahoma.  They are a two loss team which included a loss to a losing record (4-6) Kansas State team.  Cincinnati couldn't even beat a very depleted Georgia team who was the 4th best team in the SEC. 

Before yesterday, there were really only 2 deserving teams, Bama and Clemson, and there were really only 3 teams that arguably could be the best team, Bama, Clemson and OSU.  The best teams are still going to dominate in an expanded playoff.  The extra game is just going to increase the possibility of injuries impacting the playoffs.   

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Who exactly did Texas A&M beat?  They played 3 teams with a winning record all year and one of those they lost by 28 points.  They beat Florida and Auburn (I'm not counting NC for this given that was after the playoff selection).  Florida was a solid win, but one that was was marred significantly when LSU beat them (they then lost their bowl game by 35 points, which I get was before the playoff announcement, but still).  Auburn got shellacked by Northwestern in the bowl as well.  And that Florida win was by 3 on a last second FG after Florida fumbled the ball around mid-field blowing their own chance to win.  They beat 0 win Vanderbilt by 5 points.  The only teams they beat by 3 scores were 2 win South Carolina and 3 win Tennessee. 

This notion that A&M was a great team or deserving to be #4 just isn't borne in reality.  They played a weak schedule, didn't look all that great in the schedule, and got their doors blown off by the only great team they played.  The team they would have met in the playoffs. 

This is why I think the committee just should have put Cincinnati in.  There wasn't really a deserving team for that 4th spot. 

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 09:44:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This Alabama offense is something else. 

Taking the Buckeye D to the woodshed right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 10:11:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Devonta Smith looks like he’s playing Madden on easy. Looking like 2013 Calvin Johnson vs the Cowboys out there
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 10:22:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
This Alabama offense is something else. 

Taking the Buckeye D to the woodshed right now.
Yeah Smith is just so good and so fast.  Easy to see why he won the Heisman and will be a top 5 pick in the draft.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 10:47:44 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Notre Dame was very deserving of their place in the playoff. Undefeated regular season, then lost to another playoff team in conference championship. No, they are not quite at the very top of college football. They just don't have the glut of these over-the-top athletes that Bama, Ohio State and Clemson currently have. Not sure what their limitations are in regard to recruiting. Do their prospects face tougher admissions standards in regard to academic requirements than other schools ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 11:14:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
There’s the 50 burger.  This is utter dominance.

Even with Smith out, Bama is still rolling.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 11:34:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Same story different year

College football is painful to watch with this monopoly Alabama has

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 11:47:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Roll Tide Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 12:21:28 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Same story different year

College football is painful to watch with this monopoly Alabama has
Bama wasn't even in the playoffs last season.  LSU won.  Year before it was Clemson.  Really special team this year.  It was a joy to watch them.