Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 77743 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2021, 01:30:48 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
In other disappointing Patriots news...Josh McDaniels is very likely staying for the next season. Too bad, I wanted this fraud gone.

Hopefully, the Patriots trade for Watson. Or get Jimmy G back. Any of them better than whatever QBs we have in the team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2021, 08:46:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the Pats can grab either of these two QBs playing tonight in the national championship game, through trading up for them or having Fields or Jones fall to them, I would be very good about the Patriots future.

« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2021, 09:05:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
In other disappointing Patriots news...Josh McDaniels is very likely staying for the next season. Too bad, I wanted this fraud gone.

Hopefully, the Patriots trade for Watson. Or get Jimmy G back. Any of them better than whatever QBs we have in the team.

I think it is had kind of already been said Cam won't be back and it really seemed like the staff did not think very much of Stidham

« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2021, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Haha fraud. Yeah, Josh McDaniels is the problem..... Having a QB that couldn't throw had nothing to do with it.

Watson isn't going anywhere. I don't think Jimmy G is that good.

Patriots fans are probably going to have to be patient at QB. Bill can probably trade up and get Fields or Wilson in the draft, or stay put and grab Lance/Trask/Mac Jones.

I'm not that interested in most of the veteran QBs in the league, and fortunately, the Patriots have build up enough good grace that they have time to develop a young, talented QB.

« Reply #484 on: January 11, 2021, 09:26:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The only way the Patriots can trade for Watson, is if Robert Kraft buys the Texans and demands/approves the trade.

« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2021, 09:35:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel like Gilmore and 2 1st rounders could be a potential base for a Watson deal, but that’s a heap to give up.

Wonder how attainable Stafford is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #486 on: January 11, 2021, 10:07:45 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1805
Belichick turned down excepting the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump.  Apparently last week really turned him off.  Good for him.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2021, 03:50:07 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Full text of Belichick's statement:

Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior citizens. Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award. Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation's values, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots team. One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions. Continuing those efforts while remaining true to my people, team and country I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/11/sports/patriots-coach-bill-belichick-will-decline-presidential-medal-freedom-trump/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2021, 07:52:09 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I feel like Gilmore and 2 1st rounders could be a potential base for a Watson deal, but that’s a heap to give up.

I don't think Watson is obtainable, but Wentz might be and I'm in on that, even on the big salary.  He's a big guy, 6'5" 237LB, just like BB likes, and he's still just 28.

Have a look at his stats, not sure why they haven't done more:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WentCa00.htm
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The NFL trade market is more confusing to me than the NBA (remember Randy Moss for a 4th rounder?), but that doesn't seem like nearly enough to give up for a 25 year old 3X Pro-Bowl QB. Of course I love Gilmore and I love 1st round picks, but teams go decades looking for a legit franchise QB and spend top pick after top pick on the position. I would gladly roll with Jones, Jackson, McCourty, or whoever at CB while giving up a couple of picks in order to land a QB the caliber of Watson.

« Reply #490 on: January 30, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Watson's a pipe dream, but I think Stafford and Garoppolo are both very realistic. And I would love to get either of them. I'd prefer Stafford, but wouldn't mind Jimmy G. either at the right price.

You could still draft a QB to develop long term, but I also think Stafford/JimmyG would mean you have 3-5+ year plans in place, which might also fit with the timeline of Belichick's career unless if we're not expecting him to retire until after he's 80 years old lol.

There are a lot of holes to fill, but I trust with the cap space and draft picks + returning opt-outs, they can find a way to become a playoff team again as early as next season. The AFC's getting better, but after KC I'm not sure there are too many "sure bets" in the AFC either. Plus now with expanded playoffs, I think with a good QB the Pats can have a chance to make it as a wild card.

I mean, they went 7-9 last year with barely any talent and Cam Newton looking terrible from October onwards. Most other teams with a similar roster would go like 5-11 or worse. Now yes, some of that is Belichick's fault due to poor drafting, but even then I think with an average QB, they could have gone like 9-7 or even 10-6 last season. They did lose like 3 games in the last seconds which were very winnable (ex. Seahawks + Bills games).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #491 on: January 30, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I just don't think Gilmore is very valuable to Houston, who would clearly be rebuilding after trading away Watson. A trade of Tua and pick #3 from the dolphins is a much better deal imo. Houston gets a potential starting qb, along with the best receiver/O-lineman in the draft to kickstart their rebuild.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #492 on: January 30, 2021, 01:30:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

I don't think Watson is obtainable, but Wentz might be and I'm in on that, even on the big salary.  He's a big guy, 6'5" 237LB, just like BB likes, and he's still just 28.

Have a look at his stats, not sure why they haven't done more:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WentCa00.htm

Not sure about Wentz (haven't seen him enough), but I'm sorry to say that Stafford just feels like decent stop-gap fill in to me.  Will bring winning seasons, but not championships.  His stats are good.  TD-Int ratio and game-winning drives impressive.  But watching him through the years, he's been underwhelming.  Same feel I get with Philip Rivers.  Wouldn't hate to have him, but not overjoyed.

Wentz perhaps hasn't yet found himself and that's intriguing.  At present I wouldn't think of him as a better QB than Stafford.  But I wonder if he's got a ways to go to be a finished product.  Some work with BB and Josh, who knows?

Watson would be exciting. Hope they really try to get him.

« Reply #493 on: January 30, 2021, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I just don't think Gilmore is very valuable to Houston, who would clearly be rebuilding after trading away Watson. A trade of Tua and pick #3 from the dolphins is a much better deal imo. Houston gets a potential starting qb, along with the best receiver/O-lineman in the draft to kickstart their rebuild.
Yeah, I could see not only Miami, but also the Jets putting together better trade packages. Also, I think the price from New England for Watson would be JC Jackson and three firsts. And.....you would need to convince Watson of waiving his no trade clause to come to the Pat's, a team with exactly zero major weapons to throw too, currently.

« Reply #494 on: January 30, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, I could see not only Miami, but also the Jets putting together better trade packages. Also, I think the price from New England for Watson would be JC Jackson and three firsts. And.....you would need to convince Watson of waiving his no trade clause to come to the Pat's, a team with exactly zero major weapons to throw too, currently.

Yeah ESPN floated the idea of JC Jackson, N'Keal Harry, 2 first rounders, and 2 more picks (1 definitely being a future 1st or 2nd rounder) to the Texans. I love Watson a lot, but that seems real steep. Which makes sense, but what talent would we even have around him? I'm not taking about Harry who is being traded in this proposal and might need a change of scenery anyways, but JC Jackson would be a tough loss for the defense, and how much can the Pats add with about 30M in cap space left after they absorb Watson's deal?

I do think Stafford and Jimmy G. are very realistic for us though. And call me crazy, but I'm not against giving up a 1st round pick + a future 3rd for Stafford. I think he's tough and underrated. His contract also isn't bad at all and they'd still have ample cap room to add pieces around him.

I think people don't realize that after Fields, Lawrence and maybe Wilson/Lance, there really isn't a QB that is expected to start Week 1 of 2021, and probably not for a few years in some instances. Getting someone like Stafford isn't stopping us from adding a developmental QB in the draft, or keeping Stidham and hoping he improves. There aren't many "surefire" options at #15 so I'm not against trading it, unless somehow some QB slips and you're able to trade up and get him (maybe for Wilson or Lance)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:32:47 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller