Author Topic: Heat (4-4) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/10/21  (Read 14850 times)

Heat (4-4) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/10/21
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:10:10 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Miami Heat (4-4) at Boston Celtics (7-3)
Game #11/Home Game #5
Sunday, January 10, 2021
7:00 PM ET
TV:  NBA-TV, NBCSB, FS Sun
Radio:  WBZ-FM, WAXY/WAQI
TD Garden 
Referees:  Scott Foster, Eric Dalen,  Suyash Mehta

Probable Celtics Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG:  Jeff Teague
SG:  Carsen Edwards
SF:  Marcus Smart
PF:  Daniel Theis
C:    Tacko Fall

Celtics Reserves
Tremont Waters
Payton Pritchard
Aaron Nesmith

Injuries
Kemba Walker (knee) out
Romeo Langford (wrist) out
Tristan Thompson (covid) out
Grant Williams (covid) out
Robert Williams (covid) out
Jayson Tatum (covid) out
Jaylen Brown (covid) out
Javonte Green (covid) out
Semi Ojeleye (covid) out

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Probable Heat Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG: Tyler Herro
SG:  Duncan Robinson
SF:  Jimmy Butler
PF:  Kelly Olynyk 
C:   Bam Adebayo

Heat Reserves

Precious Achiuwa
Avery Bradley
Goran Dragic
Udonis Haslem
Andre Iguodala
Meyers Leonard
Kendrick Nunn
KZ Okpala
Chris Silva
Max Strus
Moe Harkless

Injuries
Avery Bradley (covid) out
Goran Dragic (knee) questionable
Meyers Leonard (shoulder) questionable
Kelly Olynyk (groin) questionable
Gabe Vincent (knee) probable

Head Coach

Erik Spoelstra

Game Notes

The Celtics and Heat meet for the second time this season and the first time at the TD Garden.  The Celtics played the Heat in the 4th game of their 4 game road trip on January 6th.   They will likely play at least one more time in the second half of the season but that schedule has not been released as yet. 

It was announced on Saturday that Jayson Tatum tested positive for Covid and will be out for the next 10-14 days. Semi Ojeleye, Jaylen Brown, and Javonte Green are also out for this game due to contact tracing.  Grant Williams, Tristan Thompson and Robert Williams were already out due to contact tracing.  With Kemba Walker (knee) and Romeo Langford (wrist) also out, that leaves the Celtics extremely short handed. 

I'm not sure how the league does their contact tracing, but this entire team has been in very close proximity to Jayson as they played the game vs the Wizards.  Bradley Beal was out on Saturday because he was seen talking to Jayson after Friday's game.  But, both teams were up close and personal during the entire game so I'm not sure how they determine who to quarantine and who to allow to play. 

All that being said, I'm not sure if this game will be played or not.  With everyone out, that leaves the Celtics with 8 available players, including 6 guards (with 2 under 6 ft) and 2 bigs. The Heat will be missing Avery Bradley (covid) while Goran Dragic (knee), Meyers Leonard (shoulder), and Kelly Olynyk (groin) are all questionable.    The 76ers played on Saturday with just 7 available players, so it's not just the Celtics who are being affected by injuries and the health and safety protocols but that doesn't make it any easier. 

Looking at the players available to play if Brown, Green and Ojeleye are indeed out, there really aren't a lot of options.  I took a guess that Brad would start Teague, Edwards, Smart, Theis and Tacko but I'm probably wrong so don't take the listed starters as fact. Brad may get daring and start Nesmith rather than Edwards.   If Brown, Green and Semi can play, I would put Brown and Semi in the starting lineup in place of Edwards and Tacko.

Key Matchups
vs
Tacko Fall vs Bam Adebayo
Adebayo has been Miami's best player so far this season.  He is averaging 18.6 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 5.1 assists per game.   In the first game between these two teams, the Celtics held him to 15 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks.  If Brown and Ojeleye can play in this game, Theis will likely match up with him, but if they can't, the Celtics are out of power forwards and Tacko would likely start at center. 

vs
Marcus Smart vs Jimmy Butler
Butler is averaging 13.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.2 steals per game.  In his first game against the Celtics, Butler put up 26 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks.  He always seems to show up against the Celtics.  Once again, if Brown can play,  I would expect him to start vs Butler. 

Honorable Mention
Carsen Edwards vs Duncan Robinson
Robinson is averaging 11.9 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.4 assists.  In their first meeting, Robinson got hot from the perimeter and put up 16 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists.   Again, depending on who is out and who can play,  this may be Edwards, Smart or even Pritchard against Robinson. 

Keys to the Game

Defense - Defense is always a key to winning.  The Celtics have struggled on the defensive end so far this season at times but have also shown flashes of playing good defense at other times.   The Celtics must get back to making defense a priority, especially against a dangerous team like the Heat.  However, when you are as short handed as the Celtics are, defense will likely suffer. 

Rebound - The Celtics have to crash the boards to keep the Heat from getting second chance points on the one end and to give themselves extra possessions on the other end.  Rebounding takes effort and the Celtics have to put out the extra effort to beat the Heat on the boards.  With so many player out, rebounding is going to be even harder for the Celtics so they will have to work extra hard to crash the boards.

Move the Ball Carefully -  The Celtics need to move the ball and find the open man for the best shots available.  When they dribble too much or try to play hero ball,  things don't often end well.  On the other hand, when they share the ball and make the extra pass, good things happen.  The Celtics have to keep the ball moving but they have to make careful passes and avoid careless turnovers. 

X-Factors
Fatigue - The Celtics will be short handed and some players may have to play big minutes.  On the other hand,  the Heat are at full strength but are playing on the second night of back to back games, with both games on the road.  Which team will have more stamina to finish out the game?

Injuries/Covid -  The Heat are pretty much at full strength while the Celtics are going to be very short handed.   The best we can probably hope for is that the Heat will be tired from the night before and they will underestimate the depleted Celtics. 

Officiating - Officiating is always an x-factor in every game.  Every crew officiates differently.  Some call it tight, others let them play.  Some favor the home team.  Some favor the road team.  Some just make bad, head scratching calls.  With Scott Foster calling the game, you never know what to expect.   The Celtics need to adjust to the way the refs call the game and not let bad calls take them out of the game.  Hopefully the refs will take pity on the short handed Celtics and give them the benefit of the whistle. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:44:26 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Heat (3-4) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/10/21
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:12:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
2 threads for the same game?

you're keeping me guessing here.  great job -- hope we're not falling apart from exhaustion in the end

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:13:27 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to slamtheking   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (what's left of) CELTICS!!

Beat the Heat!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

I was having problems getting it to post and some how, it posted twice.  I was able to remove one of them so there should be only one now.  Sorry. 

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:04 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Lets Go Celtics!!!                ;D                 Beat the Heat!!!

TP...                 FLCF...          and    slamtheking

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 09:28:09 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Uh. If those players are all out, We’re in trouble for this one I think   Yikes. 😁

Re: Heat (4-4) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/10/21
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GoOoOooOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo CELTICS TP FLCF FOR ANOTHER GREAT THREAT

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO CELTICS BEAT THE Heat

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 10:01:12 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Our lineup looks like MJ’s team in Spacejam, with MJ out with Covid.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 10:08:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
This is going to be an interesting game, lol.  Eight players and five of them play the same position. 

This is just a pickup game at this point.  Go jack some threes.  Maybe something ridiculous happens. 

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Man this is going to be interesting if they play.  Go Cs!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 10:44:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Is interesting another word for disaster?

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 10:50:00 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799

Is interesting another word for disaster?

Probably, but here are some synonyms of interesting:
absorbing · engrossing · fascinating · riveting · gripping · compelling · compulsive · spellbinding · captivating · engaging · enthralling · entrancing · beguiling · appealing · attractive · amusing · entertaining · stimulating · thought-provoking · diverting · exciting · intriguing
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:58:54 PM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 11:03:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I was having problems getting it to post and some how, it posted twice.  I was able to remove one of them so there should be only one now.  Sorry.
nothing to be sorry about.  amazed you're able to put the time and effort into these threads.  have another TP for that other thread   ;D

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 11:04:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
This is going to be an interesting game, lol.  Eight players and five of them play the same position. 

This is just a pickup game at this point.  Go jack some threes.  Maybe something ridiculous happens.
with who's available expect everyone but Tacko to jack mostly 3's

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 11:06:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
come to think of it, this is the type of team Olynyk needs to play against to look like at least an average rebounder.  wonder what the Vegas odds are for Smart still outrebounding KO?