Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 33459 times)

ozgod, letsgoblue86 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #345 on: Today at 02:12:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Still need to bring him back regardless. He needs reps. I'll take a 70% Porzingis. Miami Heat brought back Chris Bosh from his injury while he wasn't 100% and pretty much contributed in beating us in the ECF back in 2012.

Myles Turner abused the hell out of Kornet and Horford, and Joe is refusing to go deeper into the bench so we need answers to that.

70% Porzingis wouldn't make it out of the ECF.  Heck, based on how the original injury occurred, I'm skeptical that he'd survive a full game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #346 on: Today at 02:12:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I think you have to get Porzingis some run to shake off the rust and back into the flow.  Missing a month and then getting inserted into high stakes (ECF/Finals) playoff intensity would take at least a game or two.

yeah, I don't understand this concept that even if healthy you want to sit him and throw him out in Game 1 against say Gobert/towns in a high intensity finals game 1.

Nobody, including KP or his doctors, are going to know for certain that he's 100% healthy.  He might feel fine, but that doesn't mean he's healed all of the way.  More rest means more healing time, more strengthening, etc.

From what I've read, every calf strain makes a subsequent calf strain more likely.  That being the case, mixed with the fact that KP's calf popped so quickly and easily after he compensated for his ankle injury, makes me extremely wary.  I think that once he returns, we'll only be able to count on him for a limited number of games.  In my mind, I'd like to start that clock as late as possible.

If that part is true, and that is what the Doctors tell the team, that he is only good for 5-10 games or whatever, then sure, don't play him until you have too.  But what if the "number of games" is more like between 10-100, something more realistic in my mind.

It is of course a trade off.  The more games you ask him to play, the more risk of injury. I don't see the time between game 4 and finals game 1 (about 1.5 weeks if I remember correctly) making all that much difference in his healing.  If he isn't healed by game 4, then something is going on and he may not be healed until next season.

But if he is healed, or as healed as he is going to get, I say get him out there for game 4.  We are all in for this title.  The best chance to win the title is to have Porzingis back with a couple of games under his belt for Game 1 of the finals.

What are you basing the underlined on?  It seems arbitrary to say that 30 days is enough (or whatever the time frame is), but another 10 days (i.e., 25% more healing time) would make no difference.

Based on all the reporting of what a Grade 1 or 2 strain takes to heal.  That is why I say that if it isn't healed in 4 weeks, it probably isn't a Grade 1 or 2 strain, it is something more serious, and it probably isn't going to be healed or all that much different in 5 weeks.  Grade 3 strains or full tears are being reported as season ending injuries.  All just speculation based on connecting dots.

That is really my biggest concern, that if he isn't ready in 4 weeks, he may not be ready at all.  If he comes back for game 4, for example, that would be 7-10 games he would try to play.  If he comes back for game 1 of the finals, what 6-7 games likely?  If this injury is so fragile that he can play 7 games but not 9 games, we are in trouble in any case.  May as well roll the dice and see if we can get 7-10 games out of him, with him being that much better for the first few games of the finals.

« Reply #347 on: Today at 02:18:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think you have to get Porzingis some run to shake off the rust and back into the flow.  Missing a month and then getting inserted into high stakes (ECF/Finals) playoff intensity would take at least a game or two.

yeah, I don't understand this concept that even if healthy you want to sit him and throw him out in Game 1 against say Gobert/towns in a high intensity finals game 1.

Nobody, including KP or his doctors, are going to know for certain that he's 100% healthy.  He might feel fine, but that doesn't mean he's healed all of the way.  More rest means more healing time, more strengthening, etc.

From what I've read, every calf strain makes a subsequent calf strain more likely.  That being the case, mixed with the fact that KP's calf popped so quickly and easily after he compensated for his ankle injury, makes me extremely wary.  I think that once he returns, we'll only be able to count on him for a limited number of games.  In my mind, I'd like to start that clock as late as possible.

If that part is true, and that is what the Doctors tell the team, that he is only good for 5-10 games or whatever, then sure, don't play him until you have too.  But what if the "number of games" is more like between 10-100, something more realistic in my mind.

It is of course a trade off.  The more games you ask him to play, the more risk of injury. I don't see the time between game 4 and finals game 1 (about 1.5 weeks if I remember correctly) making all that much difference in his healing.  If he isn't healed by game 4, then something is going on and he may not be healed until next season.

But if he is healed, or as healed as he is going to get, I say get him out there for game 4.  We are all in for this title.  The best chance to win the title is to have Porzingis back with a couple of games under his belt for Game 1 of the finals.

What are you basing the underlined on?  It seems arbitrary to say that 30 days is enough (or whatever the time frame is), but another 10 days (i.e., 25% more healing time) would make no difference.

Based on all the reporting of what a Grade 1 or 2 strain takes to heal.  That is why I say that if it isn't healed in 4 weeks, it probably isn't a Grade 1 or 2 strain, it is something more serious, and it probably isn't going to be healed or all that much different in 5 weeks.  Grade 3 strains or full tears are being reported as season ending injuries.  All just speculation based on connecting dots.

That is really my biggest concern, that if he isn't ready in 4 weeks, he may not be ready at all.  If he comes back for game 4, for example, that would be 7-10 games he would try to play.  If he comes back for game 1 of the finals, what 6-7 games likely?  If this injury is so fragile that he can play 7 games but not 9 games, we are in trouble in any case.  May as well roll the dice and see if we can get 7-10 games out of him, with him being that much better for the first few games of the finals.

Talk to any doctor:  you can't make any conclusions about KP's injury based upon the publicly available information.  Time frames found on the internet are just estimates.  Nobody can talk about KP's expected healing rate without examining him and his medical records.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #348 on: Today at 03:32:19 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 293

you also have to factor in, not just the injury, but second order effects as well. maybe an injury is 100% healed but conditioning could be improved with 3-5 extra days of cardio/rehab that can't be done until the injury is fully healed. and that conditioning reduces the likelihood of re-injury by 20%. so you have 6-7 games of reduced re-injury or 9 with greater risk. that's just an example. it could be many considerations.