Author Topic: Outlining What Kevin Love Suitors Could Offer  (Read 7689 times)

Re: Outlining What Kevin Love Suitors Could Offer
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston sends: Brandon Bass, Keith Bogans, Joel Anthony, Jared Sullinger, 2014 BOS #6, 2015 BOS 1st rounder, 2016 BKN 1st rounder.
This can only happen on draft day, since you can't trade out of consecutive drafts (2014 and 2015 in this case.

The rule allows you to do so, if you have another team's first rounder in one of those drafts.  Unless we also tried to trade the 2015 Clippers pick, we'd be okay.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Boston sends: Brandon Bass, Keith Bogans, Joel Anthony, Jared Sullinger, 2014 BOS #6, 2015 BOS 1st rounder, 2016 BKN 1st rounder.
This can only happen on draft day, since you can't trade out of consecutive drafts (2014 and 2015 in this case.

The rule allows you to do so, if you have another team's first rounder in one of those drafts.  Unless we also tried to trade the 2015 Clippers pick, we'd be okay.
Interesting. I don't think it's going to happen, of course, but it's a curious option nonetheless.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Exclude the 2015 BOS 1st rounder, and that deal sounds about right...That's the only way the trade would work anyways, because teams can not trade away 1st round draft picks in consecutive years. (For instance, that's part of why we got a 2014/2016/2018 pick package in the Brooklyn trade last summer.)

Teams have to have a first round pick every other year, but it doesn't have to be their own.  Boston can trade away its own 2014 and 2015 picks because it still has a 2014 pick from the Nets and a 2015 pick from the Clippers, and it can even trade one of those and still comply with the Stepien rule.

I'd actually like to explore the idea of Sullinger, the 2014 Nets pick, a 2015 first, and a 2016 first.  Minnesota's fan base would probably explode at the idea of trading with the Celtics without getting #6 in return, but the possibility of having a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Love/Asik starting lineup with Olynyk, #6, and a quality MLE signing coming off the bench excites me.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 03:37:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Exclude the 2015 BOS 1st rounder, and that deal sounds about right...That's the only way the trade would work anyways, because teams can not trade away 1st round draft picks in consecutive years. (For instance, that's part of why we got a 2014/2016/2018 pick package in the Brooklyn trade last summer.)

Teams have to have a first round pick every other year, but it doesn't have to be their own.  Boston can trade away its own 2014 and 2015 picks because it still has a 2014 pick from the Nets and a 2015 pick from the Clippers, and it can even trade one of those and still comply with the Stepien rule.

I'd actually like to explore the idea of Sullinger, the 2014 Nets pick, a 2015 first, and a 2016 first.  Minnesota's fan base would probably explode at the idea of trading with the Celtics without getting #6 in return, but the possibility of having a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Love/Asik starting lineup with Olynyk, #6, and a quality MLE signing coming off the bench excites me.

If Ainge also took Martin and Corey Brewer for Wallace and filler and threw in another 1st, it might be possible but it is hard to imagine the Minny fan base tolerating it.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

If Ainge also took Martin and Corey Brewer for Wallace and filler and threw in another 1st, it might be possible but it is hard to imagine the Minny fan base tolerating it.

If it turns out to be the best offer, would TWolves fans prefer letting Love walk for nothing?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If it turns out to be the best offer, would TWolves fans prefer letting Love walk for nothing?
That's assuming Love will "walk for nothing". Love can still be traded later on, or he can even be signed and traded. Or he can be convinced to stay. Way too many scenarios there.

And all this being said, there's zero guarantee he'd actually want to resign in Boston.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
That's assuming Love will "walk for nothing". Love can still be traded later on, or he can even be signed and traded. Or he can be convinced to stay. Way too many scenarios there.

And all this being said, there's zero guarantee he'd actually want to resign in Boston.

If you were a Minnesota fan, what would you believe in your heart about the prospects of Love staying there?

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If it's a sign and trade there's no way they'll get a lot of value for him.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The Raptors got two first-rounders for Bosh. Perhaps not the greatest haul on earth, but still nothing to sneeze at.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Hopefully we get him
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think you've made the offers too sweet for Boston and others.  This is a buyers market.

Boston's not throwing 3 1sts into the deal (at least without protection), but Minnesota trying to rid itself of Budlinger's or Kevin Martin's contract is a real possibility.

I've yet to hear anything like the deal you're putting on the table for GSW. Lee, Barnes, and a 2015 first with GSW reluctant to include Thompson never mind Green.  Wolves fans hate that deal because of Lee's defense and his contract and even Warrior fans don't see it.  Maybe a 3 team deal, with Lee rerouted elsewhere (ORL?), but Lee's critical to the deal getting done.

Suns trade likewise too sweet with Dragic (or Bledsoe). Trade a star for a star and throw in a ton of picks too?

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The golden state Warriors deal, while I think is about right , doesn't make much sense for Minny . Lee and Thompson would just make them a mediocre team with no chance in improving because they would have cap space tied up with having to resign Thompson soon , not being bad enough to get a top pick , and not having the ability to lure free agents to sign with a mediocre team.

Same with the Bulls . Gibson and Butler would both need to be re-signed soon .

I honestly think the c's deal is their best chance, unless Cleveland offers the # 1 pick . They get a quality starting PF in Sully , who shouldn't cost more than about 10 mil to resign, but is still on a rookie contract for 2 more years. They get a high lottery pick that will also be on a rookie contract for 4 years, They get two more first rd picks(though I would put to 7 protection on the Brooklyn pick) . They can also send back a long term contract in Martin for a shorter one or expiring one .

I think the C's have as good a shot as any team to land Love, especially with the good working relationship between Flip Saunders and the C's organization

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If you were a Minnesota fan, what would you believe in your heart about the prospects of Love staying there?

I'd probably look into a Rubio jersey, myself.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The Raptors got two first-rounders for Bosh. Perhaps not the greatest haul on earth, but still nothing to sneeze at.

True, but that's like what's proposed here minus Sully and a 1st rounder and whatever else we'd throw in.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think you've made the offers too sweet for Boston and others.  This is a buyers market.

Boston's not throwing 3 1sts into the deal (at least without protection), but Minnesota trying to rid itself of Budlinger's or Kevin Martin's contract is a real possibility.

I've yet to hear anything like the deal you're putting on the table for GSW. Lee, Barnes, and a 2015 first with GSW reluctant to include Thompson never mind Green.  Wolves fans hate that deal because of Lee's defense and his contract and even Warrior fans don't see it.  Maybe a 3 team deal, with Lee rerouted elsewhere (ORL?), but Lee's critical to the deal getting done.

Suns trade likewise too sweet with Dragic (or Bledsoe). Trade a star for a star and throw in a ton of picks too?

Fair points, but I simply disagree. Some people seem to misunderstand exactly what I'm outlining in this thread. The deals proposed are what I believe to be the "standard," we'll call it, for convincing the Wolves to deal Love. It doesn't mean the trade partner wants to offer what I suggested. Hence why the Warriors proposal got a C+ even though it's an offer that could fetch Love (because as you said, they would never give all that up). Also, your own GSW offer wouldn't work. GSW can't trade their 2015 1st rounder because of the Stepien rule.

As for the Suns, there's a big difference between Dragic and Love. Dragic is a borderline All-Star who has maxed out his abilities. Love is a borderline MVP candidate at 25. And again, I'm not suggesting the Suns would be eager to swap packages... just saying that's what it would take for them to get Love, IMO.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/