Author Topic: Looks like we dodged a bullet with the Cavs getting Shaq...  (Read 10022 times)

Re: Looks like we dodged a bullet with the Cavs getting Shaq...
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Shaq vs Ben Wallace?

I think it's a big improvement for the Cavs.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just have no idea what Danny Ferry is doing and how he continues to keep a job.

First, he doesn't trade Wally Szczerbiak at the deadline to get any help in the frontcourt. Instead he keeps the slow, unathletic Wally, signs a much slower and playing much older than expected, Joe Smith.

Now, he trades for a huge, slow, old amd limited Shaq. I say limited because the Cavs lost in the playoffs because they just weren't athletic enough up front to contain Howard, Turk, and Lewis. Their other major competitor in the East is Boston with Perk, Pierce and KG, three other athletic guys.

What are they thinking?

Their big guys right now are Shaq, Z and Hickson and that's it!!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I just have no idea what Danny Ferry is doing and how he continues to keep a job.

First, he doesn't trade Wally Szczerbiak at the deadline to get any help in the frontcourt. Instead he keeps the slow, unathletic Wally, signs a much slower and playing much older than expected, Joe Smith.

Now, he trades for a huge, slow, old amd limited Shaq. I say limited because the Cavs lost in the playoffs because they just weren't athletic enough up front to contain Howard, Turk, and Lewis. Their other major competitor in the East is Boston with Perk, Pierce and KG, three other athletic guys.

What are they thinking?

Their big guys right now are Shaq, Z and Hickson and that's it!!!!

It's a little premature to assume that they're going into next season with just Shaq, Z and Hickson. What if they add Wallace to that rotation? The Cavs would be pretty dangerous in any halfcourt set. Ferry has a dilemma, he wants to win now but be in position to sign 2 max guys (1 being James) next summer. What would you have done? I think this is a great trade for the Cavs for now and the future.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For next season, I think Shaq is a much better fit than Chandler.  I think Chandler has become a bit overrated, especially with his injury concerns.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
For next season, I think Shaq is a much better fit than Chandler.  I think Chandler has become a bit overrated, especially with his injury concerns.

co-sign!  this is bad news for us

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
If I'm a Cavs fan I don't know what to think. Shaq can give them what Big Ben did on defense and rebounding plus the offense. On one hand, it having Shaq in the low post will give them another option in the half court but wouldn't Shaq also clog the lane?

At least Z could step out and hit those midrange shots and space the floor better for Lebron. I don't know what to think about this trade.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Shaq vs Ben Wallace?

Agreed.  Good move for the Cavs.  It doesn't make them much better, but it definitely makes them better. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Especially for the Cavs, they need offense out of their Bigs. Chandler is limited on that end.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Shaq was still an 18/8/1.5 player in just over 30 minutes.  That is a massive improvement for the Cavs in the low post. 

Look for Cleveland to re-sign Varejao and also add a wing with the MLE (Charlie V talked about signing in Cleveland for the MLE, but he is restricted and I would think Milwaukee would match that)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Especially for the Cavs, they need offense out of their Bigs. Chandler is limited on that end.

It is true that Chandler has no post game, but having Shaq means they will have to slow down the tempo even morethan they already do for him to get his touches. IMO they get even more predictable and stale on offense. It is time for the Cavs to start pushing the tempo a little more frequently to take advantage of Lebron's abilities. With Chandler, they would have had an athletic big who makes them dynamic on defense against the pick and roll (something Shaq and Z are god awful against) and who can run the floor with Lebron. I completely agree that Shaq makes more sense for financial flexibility and hence, they made the right move, but you cannot convince me that Shaq is a better fit than a healthy Chandler.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Shaq vs Ben Wallace?

Agreed.  Good move for the Cavs.  It doesn't make them much better, but it definitely makes them better. 

agreed. but where it makes them better is exactly in the area of weakness that killed them in the playoffs with orlando....

they were unable to contend with howard down low. at least with shaq, they have the possibility of containing howard better, allowing the rest of the team to play better perimeter defense on orlando's 3 point shooters.

cleveland is better than they were at the end of this year. it's going to be tough and entertaining playoffs next season.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Of course if Chandler is hurt I am completely wrong.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 10:52:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It is true that Chandler has no post game, but having Shaq means they will have to slow down the tempo even morethan they already do for him to get his touches. IMO they get even more predictable and stale on offense. It is time for the Cavs to start pushing the tempo a little more frequently to take advantage of Lebron's abilities. With Chandler, they would have had an athletic big who makes them dynamic on defense against the pick and roll (something Shaq and Z are god awful against) and who can run the floor with Lebron. I completely agree that Shaq makes more sense for financial flexibility and hence, they made the right move, but you cannot convince me that Shaq is a better fit than a healthy Chandler.
They already play slow, Shaq will fit right in. Instead of so many LeBron isos they can run a few posts for Shaq.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I'm not wild about the Tyson Chandler fit, I think the Cavs would need to bring in a jump shooting solid scoring power forward in order to make it work. But if they got that, they'd be incredible.

I think the Cavs need a jump shooting big man to space the floor for LeBron.

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I'm not wild about the Tyson Chandler fit, I think the Cavs would need to bring in a jump shooting solid scoring power forward in order to make it work. But if they got that, they'd be incredible.

I think the Cavs need a jump shooting big man to space the floor for LeBron.

You mean like Joe Smith?