Author Topic: Looks like we dodged a bullet with the Cavs getting Shaq...  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Chris Broussard is reporting on ESPN right now that the Cavs' plan B was to go after Tyson Chandler if the Shaq deal fell through. I think Chandler would have been a much better/younger fit for the team who would have made them BEASTLY defensively.

Re: Looks like we dodged a bullet with the Cavs getting Shaq...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:37:56 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It's a decent move for the Cavs, not as big a deal as the media will make it out to be because Shaq will slow them down some. It's definitely an upgrade over Z, though.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:39:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Chris Broussard is reporting on ESPN right now that the Cavs' plan B was to go after Tyson Chandler if the Shaq deal fell through. I think Chandler would have been a much better/younger fit for the team who would have made them BEASTLY defensively.
If healthy sure he would have been, though he doesn't have any post game.

It would have also taken them out of the free agent sweepstakes for another max player. So if they can get Bosh/Amar'e/etc. to join LeBron we won't have dodged anything.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:47:57 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Yeah, I think this trade could have been a lot worse for the Celtics. I'm fairly happy that Shaq was the guy they choose.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:41:45 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Isn't Chandler missing his big toe?  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

It would have also taken them out of the free agent sweepstakes for another max player. So if they can get Bosh/Amar'e/etc. to join LeBron we won't have joined anything.

I am pretty sure Shaq is going to want a 2 year extension meaning they wont have enough anyway. Does anyone know of Cleveland's cap situation. I dont see how they could afford Lebron AND Bosh/Amare/etc. in any scenario.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I actually think Shaq is a scarier scenario.

Having Chandler could have prevented the Cavs from adding a Wade or Bosh come next summer. With Shaq they get both an upgrade at the position and the financial relief for 2010. Ferry did the right thing.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I dont see how they could afford Lebron AND Bosh/Amare/etc. in any scenario.

According to Hoopshype.com, The Cavs will be in position to re-sign James to max dollars and add another max salary guy to their roster.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It would have also taken them out of the free agent sweepstakes for another max player. So if they can get Bosh/Amar'e/etc. to join LeBron we won't have joined anything.

I am pretty sure Shaq is going to want a 2 year extension meaning they wont have enough anyway. Does anyone know of Cleveland's cap situation. I dont see how they could afford Lebron AND Bosh/Amare/etc. in any scenario.
Sure if they give Shaq his two year extension, but they aren't going to do that.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

According to Hoopshype.com, The Cavs will be in position to re-sign James to max dollars and add another max salary guy to their roster.

Thanks for this, I definitely see your point now. I just cant see Shaq being happy with no extension. Talk about lack of job security, if it doesnt work out in Cleveland (which I believe is a 50/50 toss up right now) then the Cavs have a GREAT trading chip in season. Anyone here think Shaq could get traded twice in a calendar year?

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Thanks for this, I definitely see your point now. I just cant see Shaq being happy with no extension. Talk about lack of job security, if it doesnt work out in Cleveland (which I believe is a 50/50 toss up right now) then the Cavs have a GREAT trading chip in season. Anyone here think Shaq could get traded twice in a calendar year?
Not unless he gets hurt or completely loses it. The Cavs will not give up his expiring deal unless they get Bosh, Amar'e, or another big time player.

So what other players could help them, have expiring deals, and would be available.

waiting for Shaq for Ray Allen threads to start up again....

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:09 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
well...there is no way perkins get moved now....he is needed to bang on howard and shaq

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

Not unless he gets hurt or completely loses it. The Cavs will not give up his expiring deal unless they get Bosh, Amar'e, or another big time player.

So what other players could help them, have expiring deals, and would be available.

waiting for Shaq for Ray Allen threads to start up again....

Im not sure they could get a good player who is also expiring, but I do know that if the team takes a step back with Shaq, the front office will have to do something. If Lebron's last year before free agency results in anything less than a finals appearance (or an ECF loss to the C's) he is gone IMO. They may be able to convince Lebron that they will be able to pair him with another max player, but they will have to fill out the rest of the roster as well. If Lebron is going to start with a brand new team anyway, my gut tells me he will go to NY.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I dont think Shaq will be much better than Z. Shaq will clog up the middle and make it harder to drive to the hoop. Z could space the floor and draw his defender out to the three point point line, clearing the lane for James. If Shaq travels out of the paint, his defender will stay there, waiting for the driving James.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Im not sure they could get a good player who is also expiring, but I do know that if the team takes a step back with Shaq, the front office will have to do something. If Lebron's last year before free agency results in anything less than a finals appearance (or an ECF loss to the C's) he is gone IMO. They may be able to convince Lebron that they will be able to pair him with another max player, but they will have to fill out the rest of the roster as well. If Lebron is going to start with a brand new team anyway, my gut tells me he will go to NY.

Shaq doesn't need a Twitter message to know he isn't the long term solution for Cleveland. Even if they win the title I can see them going in another direction. 2010 is about putting the Cavaliers in position for multiple championships, so unless Shaq takes a massive pay cut he is a hired gun for one season.