Author Topic: Trade Idea to Set Up for Offseason  (Read 3203 times)

Trade Idea to Set Up for Offseason
« on: January 10, 2022, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Although this deal does not help the Celtics this year, it may be something to consider to put us in a better situation this offseason.

Celtics Trade: Schroder (1/5.9) and Richardson (2/24)
Celtics Receive: Rubio (1/17.8 - injured, out for the year), Cavs 2022 lottery-protected 1st round pick, which would turn into 2 2nd round picks if the Cavs fall back into the lottery this year.

Why for Cavs:
Cavs get two immediate rotation players at positions of need to make up for losses of Sexton and Rubio and help cement them as a playoff team in the East. Richardson being signed for next year as well makes this more than just a rental for Cleveland. The lottery-protection means at most they're giving up a pick in the teens for two rotation players.

Why for Celtics:
1. Adds a likely first round pick in the teens to the war chest for trades this summer.
2. Frees up playing time for Pritchard and at least one of Nesmith/Langford to get more clarity on our young prospects (and audition them for summer trades).
3. I assume we would hold Rubio's bird rights in the summer after this deal. Although he is older and coming off injury, he might be a useful vet PG piece to re-sign in the summer, especially if we off-loaded some of our youth/depth in a deal for a 3rd star of some sort.

Re: Trade Idea to Set Up for Offseason
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Creative idea.  Although I don't like giving up J Rich right now, I think this may be what it takes to get CLE to give up their first round pick.  Only change I'd make is that if Cavs fall into lottery this season, we get first round pick the following season also lottery protected, that doesn't convert to two 2nds for another year.

I think Rubio would be a great fit on our team.  He tore his ACL, but it sounds like he could come back next season, just don't know when.

This trade is a step back for this season, but would give more PT to the three kids to develop and/or build asset value. And also secure a better draft pick for us, since we would be less likely to make playoffs with the loss of Schroder and Richardson this season.

Tommy point.  Most on this board will dismiss this trade idea because they are too impatient!!

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 11:41:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hey nebist, great minds think alike.   ;D  I've proposed a variation on this in other threads, but was trying to use Hernangomez instead of Richardson, who I think should be kept, if possible.

I really like Rubio but since he's injured, a trade may not be possible now, and it puts a lot on Pritchard to step up to be the regular backup PG.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Not near enough value for both Schroder and Richardson.  Richardson and Hernangomez I'd do though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 11:47:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Not near enough value for both Schroder and Richardson.  Richardson and Hernangomez I'd do though.
Gonna lose Schroder anyway if not traded so his "value" is not really relevant.
Although I don't like giving up J Rich right now, I think this may be what it takes to get CLE to give up their first round pick.
That's why I would forget about the 1st rounder and do something like Hernangomez + Schroder for Rubio.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Although I don't like giving up J Rich right now, I think this may be what it takes to get CLE to give up their first round pick.
That's why I would forget about the 1st rounder and do something like Hernangomez + Schroder for Rubio.
While I thnk Rubio would be a great fit here, I'm not so sure Cleveland would want anything to do with a half season rental for Schroder. He doesn't really do anything for them.  And Richardson is too much to give up since Rubio can determine his own future this summer. 

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Sure it is.  His value is relevant as far as the Cavs might not be the only team interested in trading for him.  If the C’s trade him it will be to the highest bidder.  Personally, I think the Cavs have the most to gain with him, followed by the nuggets, so those two make the most sense.

That said, I don’t see Hernangomez plus Schröder working for the C’s, as that would have a major impact on the luxury tax bill.  C’s aren’t going to add salary in a move for picks.  However, they also aren’t trading Schröder and Richardson combined for a lottery protected first that immediately becomes two seconds.  That package would likely call for some sandwich protection (e.g. protected 1-10 and 21-30, with the protections loosening at both end for a couple of years before converting to 2nds.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
While I thnk Rubio would be a great fit here, I'm not so sure Cleveland would want anything to do with a half season rental for Schroder. He doesn't really do anything for them. And Richardson is too much to give up since Rubio can determine his own future this summer.
True, now with Rondo on board.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 12:17:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Of course his value is relevant.  Because Cleveland isn't the only team that may be interested and it is far from a given that Schroder is going to have a market next summer.  I mean sure he probably has a market at the full MLE, but that isn't much different than what Boston can offer, and he may very well be stuck with the tax payer MLE which is less than what Boston can offer.  And seriously who is paying Schroder more than 10 million a year this summer?  Until you can come up with that team, I think Boston has to operate like Schroder is going to be re-signed (if Boston wants to re-sign him). 

Aside from Schroder, Richardson has value as well.  And pretty good value to a team competing. 

No way I'd trade Schroder and Richardson for Rubio and a pick that is either around 20 or 2 2nd's.  As I said, I would make the trade if it was Hernangomez and Richardson.  That seems more aligned value wise. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

Sure it is.  His value is relevant as far as the Cavs might not be the only team interested in trading for him.  If the C’s trade him it will be to the highest bidder.  Personally, I think the Cavs have the most to gain with him, followed by the nuggets, so those two make the most sense.

That said, I don’t see Hernangomez plus Schröder working for the C’s, as that would have a major impact on the luxury tax bill.  C’s aren’t going to add salary in a move for picks.  However, they also aren’t trading Schröder and Richardson combined for a lottery protected first that immediately becomes two seconds.  That package would likely call for some sandwich protection (e.g. protected 1-10 and 21-30, with the protections loosening at both end for a couple of years before converting to 2nds.
No, his value isn't relevant is he is not traded.  That's what I mean.  His value becomes zero.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 12:35:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I don’t love the overall trade but I agree that Schroeder needs to be moved in order to gain some value from him and to solidify a role for Pritchard.

Richardson I think needs to see his role expanded. Ideally I’d like to see the Cs start Smart, Richardson, brown, Tatum and rob. Trade Schroeder for a future asset (into Utah TPE for future 1st?) and then make Al, PP, Grant, and Nesmith or Romeo the normal healthy rotation.

With an expanded role Richardson not only will help this team win games but he will also increase his off-season trade value.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
''Not near enough value''? We'd get a first for 2 backup players (one of whom is likely a rental). If we are sellers at the deadline, imo it's an easy yes on our part. I bet the Cavs say no. First-round picks are valuable assets.

Bonus points: I'd love us to have full Bird rights on Rubio. We desperately need better ball movement. A pass-first player like Rubio would be a nice fit on our team.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:59:03 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 12:53:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I doubt Cleveland gives up a 1st under the circumstances.  Schroder would be a rental, and JR was a salary dump this past summer.  But, if they’ll give up their first, we should do it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 12:55:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Not near enough value? We'd get a first for 2 backup players. Imo, it's an easy yes for the C's. I bet the Cavs say no. First-round picks are valuable assets.

1) Schroder gets starter minutes (4th on the team in MPG), and is virtually always in the closing lineup.
2) One of Schroder or Richardson would supplant Okoro in the Cavs starting lineup.
3) Richardson should be a starter here.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Not near enough value? We'd get a first for 2 backup players. Imo, it's an easy yes for the C's. I bet the Cavs say no. First-round picks are valuable assets.

1) Schroder gets starter minutes (4th on the team in MPG), and is virtually always in the closing lineup.
2) One of Schroder or Richardson would supplant Okoro in the Cavs starting lineup.
3) Richardson should be a starter here.
Still, when everyone is healthy, they are both backup players. If we are sellers at the deadline, they are both expendable. Not to mention, Schroder will likely walk at the end of the season.