Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366827 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #2085 on: December 05, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Sixers lost to the Wizards ... you hate to see it.   ;)

They are 10-0 at home, but a pretty bad 5-7 on the road. Not great for a veteran team with championship aspirations. And those losses are mostly to bad to mediocre teams: DC, Phx, Orl, OKC, Utah. I can't dock them too much for the road losses in Toronto and Denver.

The Sixers have some work to do. They may need to trade for a shooter/scorer off the bench before too long.
It would be a sixers thing to do - trade Horford for Blake Griffin lol

Totally... ;D

« Reply #2086 on: December 06, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
it would make sense for them to trade horford. He is an unnecessary luxury for them. If they traded Butler for Horford they win the title this year. 

« Reply #2087 on: December 06, 2019, 02:54:41 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
it would make sense for them to trade horford. He is an unnecessary luxury for them. If they traded Butler for Horford they win the title this year.
The reason why Philly fell out of the playoffs last year is cause they didn't have a backup center. Also, their starting center has never been in optimal shape in his 6 NBA years, increasing the need for a solid 5. Horford can also play some 4 alongside Embiid. All that points to the conclusion that they need Horford. I agree that Butler would give them more value but it is out of the realm of possibility as Miami would never do it.

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2088 on: December 06, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
they lost Reddick/Butler...those two guys averaged 18ppg each last year.....everyone was gushing about the addition of horford but neglected to mention they lost 36ppg in scoring.

Horford gives you alot in terms of rebounding/defending/assists....but the guy only averaged 13ppg. players like butler dont grow on trees. I feel like you always take the all-star scorer over need (bigs to backup embiid)

« Reply #2089 on: December 06, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
they lost Reddick/Butler...those two guys averaged 18ppg each last year.....everyone was gushing about the addition of horford but neglected to mention they lost 36ppg in scoring.

Horford gives you alot in terms of rebounding/defending/assists....but the guy only averaged 13ppg. players like butler dont grow on trees. I feel like you always take the all-star scorer over need (bigs to backup embiid)
Butler wanted to leave Philadelphia, their best replacement was Horford.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2090 on: December 06, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

They didn't just get Horford.  They picked up Richardson in the Butler trade.  Who respectively are averaging 14.4ppg and 16.1ppg per game.  Last year they were mid-pack in defense.  This year they are a top defensive team.   

They didn't lose to the Wiz because of scoring.  They lost because they didn't defend up to their level and most importantly they turned the ball over 21 times to 11 times for the Wiz.  Also Richardson is out with a hamstring injury. 

« Reply #2091 on: December 06, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
They had Butler last year and lost to Toronto because of the lack of a backup center.  Horford fits their need.  They don't need Butler.  He's not a good fit with Simmons or Harris.  Richardson has been a very good replacement and a much better fit.  He's also much cheaper and a much better personality. 

« Reply #2092 on: December 06, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They didn't just get Horford.  They picked up Richardson in the Butler trade.  Who respectively are averaging 14.4ppg and 16.1ppg per game.  Last year they were mid-pack in defense.  This year they are a top defensive team.   

They didn't lose to the Wiz because of scoring.  They lost because they didn't defend up to their level and most importantly they turned the ball over 21 times to 11 times for the Wiz.  Also Richardson is out with a hamstring injury.
Wait what?

They did lose to the Wizards because of their offense. Turning the ball over is part of how teams fail to score, that's offense. To separate scoring and turnovers is similar to separating scoring and shooting, or scoring and free throws.

They scored at 113 ORTG last night, sounds good right? Except the Wizards have the worst defense in the league! On average the Wizards give up a 116 ORTG to their opponents, that's right the 76ers did worse than the average Wizard opponent offensively.

The Wizards did do well to score on the 76ers, but the Wizards have the 4th best offense in the league. They will put points up on you, you have to punish their awful defense in return and the 76ers didn't. (Boston for example cooked the Wizards for a 133 ORTG)

« Reply #2093 on: December 06, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The problem with this is that Simmons/Brown did not get mesh or get along with Butler. I think they thought they'd have to choose between Simmons and Butler sooner than later if they did offer him the full max and bring him back. They chose Simmons.

« Reply #2094 on: December 06, 2019, 11:50:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The problem with this is that Simmons/Brown did not get mesh or get along with Butler. I think they thought they'd have to choose between Simmons and Butler sooner than later if they did offer him the full max and bring him back. They chose Simmons.

SOunds crazy, but maybe there were better off moving Simmons who has not improved at all in his time in the league

« Reply #2095 on: December 06, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

SOunds crazy, but maybe there were better off moving Simmons who has not improved at all in his time in the league
If they could have gotten any sort of buy in from Davis, I think moving Simmons for Davis over the summer (or even during last year) would have made a great deal of sense.  Heck, if it was mid-season last year, I might have done it without the buy in at all and given it a shot with 2 playoff runs of Davis.  As the season shook out (with the Warriors injuries), I'm pretty sure the Sixers would be NBA champions right now with their trio of Embiid, Davis, Butler (along with guys like Redick).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2096 on: December 06, 2019, 02:15:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

If they could have gotten any sort of buy in from Davis, I think moving Simmons for Davis over the summer (or even during last year) would have made a great deal of sense.  Heck, if it was mid-season last year, I might have done it without the buy in at all and given it a shot with 2 playoff runs of Davis.  As the season shook out (with the Warriors injuries), I'm pretty sure the Sixers would be NBA champions right now with their trio of Embiid, Davis, Butler (along with guys like Redick).

It's a darn shame that things didn't work out for them that way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2097 on: December 06, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's a darn shame that things didn't work out for them that way.
I know I am heartbroken over it.

« Reply #2098 on: December 07, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Cue blockbuster trade centered around Simmons and Chris Paul. You red it here first.  :P
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2099 on: December 07, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

He is another one who is chomping at the bit to play in LA .  It will happen soon enough as it is.  He ll be playing with Davis in LA when Lebron s contact expires