Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369882 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #2025 on: November 20, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
That Chris Paul trade is just sitting there for the Bucks, Heat, or Sixers. In each case, it likely makes them the favorites.

« Reply #2026 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Some of their players lack heart and quite frankly don't care about winning.   I feel bad for AL going there.
I don't feel bad at all.  appreciated Al for what he did here but he was seemingly out the door before free agency officially started.  he got to choose where he went.  no pity for poor life choices
How did he make a poor choice?

He went to the 76ers because of money as much as anything. Sure they also sold him on being a part of a title team, but they also paid him more than anyone else was willing to offer.

And what about if he’d known Kemba Walker was coming. Horford paused.

“I don’t want to get caught up in the past,” he said, “but, yeah, that would have been totally different.”

This sounds to me like his decision was based more on team structure than money. I am not sure what BOS was offering, but if they were even in the ballpark, Horford should have reconsidered. Reneging on an assumed deal with a different suitor to remain with your current team seems totally acceptable. It's not like they were even in the moratorium period when the world knew the Cs were signing Kemba.

I tend to agree with slam on this one. I mean, the Sixers may put it all together and win a championship, but I certainly don't feel bad for him right now. He made his decision.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:53:09 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #2027 on: November 20, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
That Chris Paul trade is just sitting there for the Bucks, Heat, or Sixers. In each case, it likely makes them the favorites.

Paul's base salary is $38,506,482 this year.  How do those respective teams put a deal together that would a) interest OKC and b) match salaries.

a) Shouldn't be too difficult because I imagine they would like to get out from under the contract.  He has a player option for over 44 million TWO YEARS from now.  Yikes.  That said, the team trading for him would be making quite the gamble.

b) Miami could send out Dragic as an expiring as a starting point and maybe add Waiters and some other pieces plus draft picks.  Milwaukee, would probably have to send out Middleton, no?  Sixers probably wouldn't mind shipping out Harris.

« Reply #2028 on: November 20, 2019, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Paul's base salary is $38,506,482 this year.  How do those respective teams put a deal together that would a) interest OKC and b) match salaries.

a) Shouldn't be too difficult because I imagine they would like to get out from under the contract.  He has a player option for over 44 million TWO YEARS from now.  Yikes.  That said, the team trading for him would be making quite the gamble.

b) Miami could send out Dragic as an expiring as a starting point and maybe add Waiters and some other pieces plus draft picks.  Milwaukee, would probably have to send out Middleton, no?  Sixers probably wouldn't mind shipping out Harris.

What would Sixers have to give to sweeten a Harris deal? Thunder aren't going to want to take on even more salary across more years, and Harris is not good enough for them to do it on talent. I don't think they have any good picks. Does it only work for OKC if Simmons is included? Then I think Philly balks.

« Reply #2029 on: November 20, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Look they are 8-5, thats a roughly 51 win pace despite playing 9 road games and only 4 home games (where they are 4-0). Thats also despite having their starting lineup together for very few of those games due to a short injury to Simmons and a suspension for Embiid. Tobias Harris isnt going to shoot 25% from 3 this year, and Al Horford will probably shoot better than 31%.

Sure, they have structural problems, and I love watching them lose as much as the next guy, but their downfall is being greatly exaggerated on this board.

Post here is kind of missing some important details. You are touting their 4-0 home record but it includes three wins against teams that were in the lottery last year and two that are objectively bad (hornets and Cavs by one point in a game the year should have lost). I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they won like 8 in a row and were first in the east in a month, but acting like they haven’t been mediocre so far is weird.

They have also played 13 games and only three of those games were against teams that will definitely make the playoffs (us, Denver and jazz)

No, its not. The sixers have been a much better team at home then the road winning roughly 75% of their home games and only 50% of their road games so playing a road heavy opening schedule will in fact decrease their win totals. Their schedule, while not the most difficult, hasn't been incredibly easy either. Tankathon has their SOS at 17th in the league, so slightly easier than average but not by a lot. They've also already made one full west cast road trip which only happens about twice a year and is notoriously difficult quality of opponents aside.

Also they literally haven't been mediocre, they are tied for the 9th best record in the NBA. They have been less than everybody expected, but by no means  bad and as I pointed out there is plenty of room for simple reversion to the mean to allow them to improve.

Again, I'm not saying they are gonna be elite or ECF favorites or anything, but its not a full blown panic time yet.
I totally agree with you.  If the Sixers were 9-4 instead of 8-5, they would be on a 56 win pace which is better than Vegas at 53.5, better than BPI or 538, and right on pace with the overall ESPN win projection.  It isn't like they are well below .500 or anything.  Changing the outcome of 1 game this early in the year alters things a lot. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2030 on: November 20, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don’t feel bad at all for Al. For some reason, he’s received a complete pass from Celtics fans for how he left and went to one of our biggest rivals in the East. His departure is on the same level of Ray Allen leaving for Miami. If Al stayed, the Celtics are legitimate title contenders. I don’t want to hear that things may have been different if he knew about Kemba. Maybe if Al was talking to Danny and interesting in remaining a Celtic, he would have been well aware of what was going on. Instead, he made a promise before free agency began, to a team that was on its way to resigning Tobias Harris to a 5 year $180M deal. A player, btw, who was on his 5th team in 8 years before signing that deal.

« Reply #2031 on: November 20, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

What would Sixers have to give to sweeten a Harris deal? Thunder aren't going to want to take on even more salary across more years, and Harris is not good enough for them to do it on talent. I don't think they have any good picks. Does it only work for OKC if Simmons is included? Then I think Philly balks.

Yeah I don't see it happening for Philly.  The Harris signing was such a panic move after Butler left. 

I think a deal for Miami could make a lot of sense if they included expirings/near exprings, a decent prosepect, and picks. 

« Reply #2032 on: November 20, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

First Philly signs Al Horford, which moved Ben Simmons from being the starting PF to PG. Now they’re supposed to trade for one of the most ball dominate PGs the league has ever seen? If Ben Simmons is most effective with the ball in his hands, then why add Chris Paul? I still think adding Al was a mistake, as Simmons was a matchup problem for PFs.

« Reply #2033 on: November 20, 2019, 01:04:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think a lot depends on what OKC looks like this year on what they want to do with Paul.  There is a very good chance they are going to be and may not see the need to unload Paul as I don't think they are getting value for him. 

That said, I think Denver makes a lot of sense. 

Paul and Gallinari for Millsap, Plumlee, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt, maybe a draft pick (though I do think Paul has negative value so you probably don't need one)

Denver goes all in and OKC dumps salary as both Millsap and Plumlee are expiring and the other 2 are nominal future salary.  OKC can then use the expiring contracts if they want or just let them come off the books.  Denver adds a legit scorer in Gallinari down low with Jokic and a cagey defensive veteran to support Murray.  Potentially you could add the Cavs and maybe swap out Gallinari for Love if you are Denver. 

That said that has nothing to do with the Sixers, but it seemed like an interesting thought to me nonetheless. 

« Reply #2034 on: November 20, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think a lot depends on what OKC looks like this year on what they want to do with Paul.  There is a very good chance they are going to be and may not see the need to unload Paul as I don't think they are getting value for him. 

That said, I think Denver makes a lot of sense. 

Paul and Gallinari for Millsap, Plumlee, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt, maybe a draft pick (though I do think Paul has negative value so you probably don't need one)

Denver goes all in and OKC dumps salary as both Millsap and Plumlee are expiring and the other 2 are nominal future salary.  OKC can then use the expiring contracts if they want or just let them come off the books.  Denver adds a legit scorer in Gallinari down low with Jokic and a cagey defensive veteran to support Murray.  Potentially you could add the Cavs and maybe swap out Gallinari for Love if you are Denver. 

That said that has nothing to do with the Sixers, but it seemed like an interesting thought to me nonetheless.

I think Denver needs Love or another big because their big rotation gets REAL thin with no Millsap/Plumlee/Hernangomez. At that point it's pretty much Jokic, no backup C at all, an undersized Jerami Grant and Porter who they absolutely do not want soaking up major regular season minutes at the 4.

But more importantly does Paul coexist well with Murray?

« Reply #2035 on: November 20, 2019, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Look they are 8-5, thats a roughly 51 win pace despite playing 9 road games and only 4 home games (where they are 4-0). Thats also despite having their starting lineup together for very few of those games due to a short injury to Simmons and a suspension for Embiid. Tobias Harris isnt going to shoot 25% from 3 this year, and Al Horford will probably shoot better than 31%.

Sure, they have structural problems, and I love watching them lose as much as the next guy, but their downfall is being greatly exaggerated on this board.

Post here is kind of missing some important details. You are touting their 4-0 home record but it includes three wins against teams that were in the lottery last year and two that are objectively bad (hornets and Cavs by one point in a game the year should have lost). I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they won like 8 in a row and were first in the east in a month, but acting like they haven’t been mediocre so far is weird.

They have also played 13 games and only three of those games were against teams that will definitely make the playoffs (us, Denver and jazz)

No, its not. The sixers have been a much better team at home then the road winning roughly 75% of their home games and only 50% of their road games so playing a road heavy opening schedule will in fact decrease their win totals. Their schedule, while not the most difficult, hasn't been incredibly easy either. Tankathon has their SOS at 17th in the league, so slightly easier than average but not by a lot. They've also already made one full west cast road trip which only happens about twice a year and is notoriously difficult quality of opponents aside.

Also they literally haven't been mediocre, they are tied for the 9th best record in the NBA. They have been less than everybody expected, but by no means  bad and as I pointed out there is plenty of room for simple reversion to the mean to allow them to improve.

Again, I'm not saying they are gonna be elite or ECF favorites or anything, but its not a full blown panic time yet.
I totally agree with you.  If the Sixers were 9-4 instead of 8-5, they would be on a 56 win pace which is better than Vegas at 53.5, better than BPI or 538, and right on pace with the overall ESPN win projection.  It isn't like they are well below .500 or anything.  Changing the outcome of 1 game this early in the year alters things a lot.

This is a bit silly if you have actually been following their games. They won two games on buzzer beaters by one point (and they were down basically the whole 4th in both those games). You could make the case they stole games from Portland and Atlanta and Cleveland (yikes) that they really deserved to lose. I would concede Denver stole the game against them in Denver (I was at it). But if you are going to play the game of changing their record, they really should probably be 7-6 and not moving in the other direction. If they were 7-6 they would be on like a 43 win pace and may not make playoffs. They have been playing very average, and thoroughly mediocre to what they were projected for. No other way to honestly slice it. Very well could turn it around completely and rattle off 12 straight wins (i am worried they could), but lets be honest about how they have played with the 17th ranked schedule so far.

« Reply #2036 on: November 20, 2019, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

This is a bit silly if you have actually been following their games. They won two games on buzzer beaters by one point (and they were down basically the whole 4th in both those games). You could make the case they stole games from Portland and Atlanta and Cleveland (yikes) that they really deserved to lose. I would concede Denver stole the game against them in Denver (I was at it). But if you are going to play the game of changing their record, they really should probably be 7-6 and not moving in the other direction. If they were 7-6 they would be on like a 43 win pace and may not make playoffs. They have been playing very average, and thoroughly mediocre to what they were projected for. No other way to honestly slice it. Very well could turn it around completely and rattle off 12 straight wins (i am worried they could), but lets be honest about how they have played with the 17th ranked schedule so far.

Again, no its not. Their expected W-L record is the same as their current win loss record, their point differential is indicative of a team with the record the currently have. You can point out that they've won some close games but they've also lost some close games.

Also I was wrong about their strength of schedule, their schedule thus far has been 19th. Their schedule going forward is 17th. So they've played a stretch of games pretty similar to what their overall season strength looks like.

« Reply #2037 on: November 20, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Again, no its not. Their expected W-L record is the same as their current win loss record, their point differential is indicative of a team with the record the currently have. You can point out that they've won some close games but they've also lost some close games.

Also I was wrong about their strength of schedule, their schedule thus far has been 19th. Their schedule going forward is 17th. So they've played a stretch of games pretty similar to what their overall season strength looks like.

Could you use actual discussion of the games they have played rather than relying on statistics that can be very easily skewed by a big blowout (especially at this point in the season). I have provided three wins that they have had that were rather improbable. They trailed Portland the entire game including ten going into the 4th quarter. They won on a buzzer beater 3. Would you say that was not a bit lucky?

Do we think they were lucky to win the Atlanta game? They were down basically the entire game and won on two free throws with 5 seconds.

Where they lucky to beat Cleveland? They were down the entire 4th and took their first lead of the quarter with 5 seconds or so left. Kevin Love missed a wide open shot that would have won it at the buzzer.

Now games they should won that they lost? They definitely should have beaten Denver as they dominated them for 3 quarters (much like these other teams were dominating them. They were unlucky and also were the victim of a lucky shot by Jokic and a bad foul call. (i was at this game)

While they only lost by 2 to Utah they were down by multiple posessions the entire 4th quarter (don't believe they ever had the chance to tie or take the lead at any point in the 4th. They scored a meaningless jumper at the buzzer to make it a 2 point loss instead of 4. I watched that game and would certainly say they deserved to lose (and that was generally the take I read on liberty ballers also)

You could argue they could have beat OKC (an overtime game), but they did get absolutely steamrolled in overtime.

None of their other games were really random or lucky that you could argue the end result was not legitimately earned. The problem with your stats versus actually watching the game is that they look like a bit of a better team because of two games blowing out Cleveland by 20 and blowing out the Twolves by 22 after Embiid and Towns were ejected. If you really want to hang your hat on that as a better indicator of how they have played for their years rather than actually watching the games, that strikes me as quite bizarre. Again I think anyone that has watched there games would say if anything they are a little worse than their record (and absolutely not better than it). Sorry.

« Reply #2038 on: November 20, 2019, 07:37:48 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
He did it!!!
Simmons made a 3!
(Although I think he stepped on the line )

« Reply #2039 on: November 20, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
They were up 9 on the Thunder with about 7 minutes left in the game.  They lost in OT.  Does that one not count?  Horford was out against Cleveland, might that not affect the outcome (they did after all just beat them by 20 with a full squad).   While they were down most of the game against the Hawks, that was entirely a result of the 9 point 1st quarter lead as Philly won the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters of the game. So despite being down they were in fact the better team for the majority of the game.  Embiid didn't play against Portland.  Somehow I think he matters to the Sixers.  Without Embiid they also lost to the Magic by 15 (seems odd to say the 20 point wins skew things but not the 15 point loss).

The Sixers are 1 win off their commonly predicted pace.   That is meaningless in the scheme of things given how early it is. If they beat the Knicks they will be less than a win off their Vegas number.  In other words right where they were projected to be and that is with Embiid getting suspended and Simmons missing 2 games (he has only missed 4 total the last 2 seasons)