Author Topic: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado  (Read 120991 times)

Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
@WojYahooNBA: The Boston Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado of Sioux Falls in the D-League, league source tells Y! Sports.

Here is a scouting report on him:

Jarvis Varnado

A Mississippi State product, Varnado was named D-League Player of the Week for November 23-December 2. The 6-foot, 10-inch forward averaged 15.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 5.7 blocked shots per game through the first three games of the season.

Varnado is an athletic, shot blocking post player who physically resembles the body type of Walter McCarty. He was a second-round pick (41st overall) by Miami in 2010, but was waived by the Heat in training camp this fall.

The forward spent the past two years playing in Israel and Italy, while the Heat maintained his rights. This followed a very successful four-year career at Mississippi State, where Varnado averaged 10 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 4 blocks over the course of 141 career games. He finished his career as the only player in NCAA history to record at least 1,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 500 blocks.

Varnado holds the NCAA record for most career blocks with 564, while becoming the first player to be named as the SEC Defensive Player of the Year in three consecutive seasons (2008, 2009, and 2010).

The big man is still raw on the offensive end. He doesn't have a "go to" move and needs to develop a better idea of what to do with the ball in the post. Varnado did show some ability with his back to the basket, feeling the defense and spinning accordingly. He put up 21 points, grabbed eight rebounds, and blocked eight shots against the Springfield Armor last week.

Varnado needs to work harder to defend the post, fight for position and bump the receiver out of his comfort zone. Despite this, he is a solid offensive rebounder and plays the game with energy and enthusiasm. With refinement of his offensive skills, Varnado could eventually get some NBA minutes down the road.
DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

Re: Celtics are signing forward Jarvis Varnado
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »

Offline craigsagersuit

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
who?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:33:16 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
i have no idea who dis guy is someone on twitter got mad at me nd said i need to do my homework cuz he was da NCAA all-time leader in blocks. I'll reserve my judgement cuz he could be dis years Stiemsma but rite now i think we reachin, it aint say we signed him to a 10 day contract we outright gave our last roster spot to a random dude named Jarvis

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
These are college highlights of dude he looks like a hell of a shotblocker i mean we could use dis when KG comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TiUU-RcE_2g

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
why ??? to bench him?

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:53:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Much rather have signed Martin or Birdman. I just don't see a guy, that the undersized Heat cut this summer, offering us much more than Melo would.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
The Heat gave up on him. Playing against them he'd be highly motivated.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:57:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I just don't see a guy, that the undersized Heat cut this summer, offering us much more than Melo would.

Ah. Here's the crux of it. Is not this Varnado signing an indictment of just how much the Celtics think Melo can "offer" the team right now?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:14:24 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Watched a bunch of Varnardo when I was at Ole Miss, he's athletic and great instincts for weak side blocks, but dude is skinny. Rondo might make him useful, think a more talented Ryan Hollins.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
varnado is the answer to a championship.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 12:15:43 AM »

fitzhickey

He looks alright. Don't know how he is the answer to our problems though

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
He looks alright. Don't know how he is the answer to our problems though
apparently dude can block shots rebound nd has an OK post game wit Wilcox out a month guess they think they can find someone in da D League like Stiemsma last year i'll reserve my judgement til i see dude play a big wit a high motor athleticism nd energy cant hurt too bad i guess

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
This is the guy who had a thread on him on here like a couple weeks back right?

I like him.

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 12:47:06 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This is the guy who had a thread on him on here like a couple weeks back right?

I like him.

I like him too.

This from nbadraft.net:

Strengths: The best shot blocker in the country 4.7 BPG ... He controls the paint well ... Extremely long and athletic player with great motor and ability to run the floor ... Improved offensively since a year ago and looks to post up much more than last year ... His go-to move on the low post is to receive the ball on the left side of the floor and turn around to his left shoulder and shoot the right handed hook shot ... Learned to play pick-and –roll effectively … he is a solid cutter to the basket and has no problems catching the ball in traffic ... His points are mostly inside the paint off of put-backs, dunks, offensive rebounds and second shot opportunities (converts a good percentage of shots out to 10 feet) ... Possesses great timing and excellent ability to block shots and he is extremely explosive off the floor ... It’s very difficult to shoot over him or finish around the rim when he is in the game due to his extremely long arms, and if he doesn’t block shots he will alter them ... Due to his extremely long arms and athleticism, Varnado is a very good rebounder both defensively and offensively ... Even though he averages 3.1 offensive rebounds per game, he gets his hands on many loose balls ... Defensively he often lets opponents get position on the low post and makes them shot over him ... a strong help defender ... "

Sounds like we can use his skills. Looking forward to see him protecting the rim.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 12:54:33 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Watched a bunch of Varnardo when I was at Ole Miss, he's athletic and great instincts for weak side blocks, but dude is skinny. Rondo might make him useful, think a more talented Ryan Hollins.

A more talented Hollins isnt saying much..

If he can get off the bench maybe he provide some Larry freaking Sanders syndrome for us.