Author Topic: You are not giving the Heat enough credit  (Read 5876 times)

Re: You are not giving the Heat enough credit
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yes there are people thinking Murray > PG13 right now. It's hard to make the same argument about Kawhi because he has so much past credits, not the same for anyone in this Celtics team.
Nobody with any credibility is making that argument. A guard who is a 18/4/4 guy and hasn't improved for 2 years has gotten hot in the playoffs. He still doesn't play defence. Paul George was an MVP candidate last year, is a 6x All-Star and 5x All-NBA alongside 4x All-Defensive teams. Anyone thinking Murray > PG13 is deluded
Pretty [dang]ing verdict on most posters on this forum :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 05:48:32 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I would like to add something else in this discussion.

There are 4 teams left in the Playoffs. In my opinion, 3 of them have elite coacheds: Celtics, Nuggets and Heat. The 4th being the team of Lebron and AD, which can reach WCF just out of pure talent.

I think that, crowds being off of the picture, the strategical aspect of the game has become more important. The Rockets and the Clippers being the opposite example (Sorry Doc).

This is something I like about the Bubble and credit goes to the Heat on that regard : they are a team full of average-talent players who maximize their chances of wining by playing good basketball and put effort every night. Crowder, for example, wouldn't reach these numbers in any team.

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 07:52:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know if I am giving the Heat too much or too little credit but they are a good team post the big trade.

The Miami Heat have traded Dion Waiters, Justise Winslow and James Johnson to the Memphis Grizzlies for Andre Iguodala, Solomon Hill and Jae Crowder, the teams announced Thursday. The Minnesota Timberwolves later joined the deal, acquiring Johnson from the Grizzlies in exchange for center Gorgui Dieng.Feb 6, 2020

This is not the same team from the regular season.  And the way that the Covid delay happened, it allowed them more time to integrate these new players it seems.  Add this this Herro and Robinson who are two young guys playing way better than anyone would reasonably expect, and yes, the Heat are the surprise team of the year.

I don't understand what the debate is here.  They are good.  So are the Celtics.  They deserve to be in the ECF based on the way they have played.  The Celtics are going to need to bring their A game to beat them.

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 08:29:20 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I'll give Heat credit if they give C's 3 more wins.

Jokes aside, Heat are a very good and respectable, but not a great team overall.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yes there are people thinking Murray > PG13 right now. It's hard to make the same argument about Kawhi because he has so much past credits, not the same for anyone in this Celtics team.
Nobody with any credibility is making that argument. A guard who is a 18/4/4 guy and hasn't improved for 2 years has gotten hot in the playoffs. He still doesn't play defence. Paul George was an MVP candidate last year, is a 6x All-Star and 5x All-NBA alongside 4x All-Defensive teams. Anyone thinking Murray > PG13 is deluded
Pretty [dang]ing verdict on most posters on this forum :laugh:
I've definitely thought PG has been below par this offseason, but he had a tricky season plagued by his double shoulder worries. I think he has credits in the bank. Murray has done absolutely nothing besides get hot for a month, but even him "hot" is marginally better than PG this season - better offence from Murray in the playoffs than PG in the regular season, but the defence isn't even close
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think the Heat are the best coached team in the playoffs.  Spoelstra has them so prepared and motivated. It is not easy to consistently come back in games like that. They do it within their system.  He is a great coach.  If we ever lose Brad, that is the guy I'd want as our coach.

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think the Heat are the best coached team in the playoffs.  Spoelstra has them so prepared and motivated. It is not easy to consistently come back in games like that. They do it within their system.  He is a great coach.  If we ever lose Brad, that is the guy I'd want as our coach.

Yeah, he's come a long way from the "Pat Riley / Lebron James" figurehead coach reputation he had early on.  He's one of the best.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 12:44:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yeah, he's come a long way from the "Pat Riley / Lebron James" figurehead coach reputation he had early on.  He's one of the best.
Wasn't he getting considerable praise for being a really good tactician when the LeBron-led Heat were winning titles? I could be wrong but I remember some of the more knowledgeable analysts/pundits loving his work back then.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The Heat lost to the Pacers on August 14th (last reg season?)

Then they won 7 in a row.

Lost to Bucks in OT.

Then they won 5 in a row.

Then the top five Celtics players scored 64 points in the paint, completely demolished their junior high school zone defense and the Heat are now 10-2 in the playoffs.

The Celtics have the #1 defense in the playoffs according to ESPN.

Celtics - 102.1 ppg
Heat - 105.3 ppg (#3)

Celtics are #1 in the playoffs for "opponents FG%."

Celtics - 41.2%
Heat - 45.2% (#7)

You want me to continue?

Opponents 3 pt percentage, Celtics are #1

Celtics - 31.4%
Heat - 35% (#5)

The Heat are a deep, balanced well coached team. Bam is really good and will get better....Buckets, I suppose got exposed in the last game, but he's been a rock. As far as the rest of the guys? It is the playoffs and in the majority of cases the good shooting team gets beat by the "defensive" team. Not always, but, ask Auerbach, Cowens, Russell, Doc, KC, Tommy...they have all the rings right?

Miami has a good defense, but, it's the finals. The Celtics have certainly had their weaknesses exposed, maybe it's Miami's turn now.