Author Topic: Final Piece of the Puzzle KAT?  (Read 4980 times)

Final Piece of the Puzzle KAT?
« on: December 05, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Just read a story about all of the family KAT has lost to the virus. Perhaps he’s going to need a change of scenery later this year? If so, what are your thoughts on a deal like this, either now or at the deadline:

https://tradenba.com/trades/IcszJoIwl

KAT for Kemba, 2021 1st, 2023 1st, so we make a run in the playoffs with:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
KAT
TT

6th: Theis

Teague
R. Williams
Ojeyele
Langford
Nesmith
G. Williams
Pritchard
Green
Edwards

Talk about dominating the glass!

***Edit***

Also, if we’re apparently regressing this season and/or Tatum isn’t as buddy/buddy with Brown as one may think, I’d totally be down for this move if Tatum approved:

https://tradenba.com/trades/bkCgOGoMU

KAT

For

JB
Langford
Edwards
Green
2021 1st
2023 1st

Add a buy-out or TPE-for-starter, and I think that move could get us over the hump, too. Although obviously the preference would be to see KAT paired with Tatum, Brown and Smart, a Tatum/KAT/Smart Big 3 might be good enough to win it all, especially with Kemba for a couple years.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:14:59 PM by GreenlyGreeny »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:17:26 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Final Piece of the Puzzle KAT?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
That's not nearly enough incentive for them to trade KAT. Those firsts would be very late 1sts and Kemba is not an attractive option for a team trading away their young star.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 04:00:25 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
That's not nearly enough incentive for them to trade KAT. Those firsts would be very late 1sts and Kemba is not an attractive option for a team trading away their young star.

Part of the scenario assumes KAT loses for a while this season and tells folks he wants to be traded. Would this deal work considering the uncertainty/potential of unprotected picks that far into the future:

KAT

For

Kemba
2021 1st
2023 1st
2025 1st
2027 1st
2029 1st

I’d do it because I’ve got a feeling Tatum, KAT and Brown would still be dominating the NBA in 2030.

Perhaps as part of the wink-wink, we then deal them the TPE for Rubio? That gives them cap space and a load of first-rounders in trying to build around Russell and Edwards, fully moving on from the KAT era...

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Also, if we’re apparently regressing this season and/or Tatum isn’t as buddy/buddy with Brown as one may think, I’d totally be down for this move if Tatum approved:

KAT

For

JB
Langford
Edwards
Green
2021 1st
2023 1st

Add a buy-out or TPE-for-starter, and I think that move could get us over the hump, too, although obviously the preference would be to see KAT paired with Tatum, Brown and Smart, a Tatum/KAT/Smart Big 3 might be good enough to win it all, especially with Kemba for a couple years.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:14:59 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
There’s less than a zero percent chance of that trade happening so let’s move on.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The Wolves just traded for and extended D'Angelo Russell and drafted Anthony Edwards with the #1 overall pick. I don't think they want a 6' tall, over-30-years-old point guard.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 04:18:20 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
The Wolves just traded for and extended D'Angelo Russell and drafted Anthony Edwards with the #1 overall pick. I don't think they want a 6' tall, over-30-years-old point guard.

You’re probably right. We’ve gotta do the JB deal if KAT becomes available.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Do we?

Because before trading Brown for KAT, I would want to make sure KAT isn't just another Kevin Love type TWolf that has amazing counting stats but did next to nothing to make his bad team better.

Is KAT someone that affects winning or not? Is he an empty stats guy that doesn't play defense or make his team significantly better?

I know Jaylen is that difference making type of player. I am not sure KAT is and if he isn't, I wouldn't move Brown for him.

Center isn't a position that you need a guy taking up a max contract with as the game has changed. A player like Brown is much more important and valuable than a center like KAT in today's game.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Do we?

Because before trading Brown for KAT, I would want to make sure KAT isn't just another Kevin Love type TWolf that has amazing counting stats but did next to nothing to make his bad team better.

Is KAT someone that affects winning or not? Is he an empty stats guy that doesn't play defense or make his team significantly better?

I know Jaylen is that difference making type of player. I am not sure KAT is and if he isn't, I wouldn't move Brown for him.

Center isn't a position that you need a guy taking up a max contract with as the game has changed. A player like Brown is much more important and valuable than a center like KAT in today's game.
I'd absolutely move Brown for KAT because Boston still would have Tatum that could be the 1 to KAT's 2 and I think that makes more sense long term.  You'd still have a Walker/Smart backcourt and Thompson for the dirty work.  That strikes me as a team that could actually win the title and I don't think the current team has any real shot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Do we?

I'd absolutely move Brown for KAT because Boston still would have Tatum that could be the 1 to KAT's 2 and I think that makes more sense long term.  You'd still have a Walker/Smart backcourt and Thompson for the dirty work.  That strikes me as a team that could actually win the title and I don't think the current team has any real shot.

You said that last year and Celtics managed to get to the ECF.  To be honest, if they can get KAT great but I'm not sure if he's really committed to winning. Brown has the better track record, might as well go for that.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 05:06:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Do we?

Makes sense to me that KAT, TT, JT, MS, KW would be a great starting 5 and championship ready.

I’m not convinced that Brown plus another piece would not be equally ready.  That piece may be easier to come by than KAT.   Rob may even turn out to be that piece.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Feel like we have this thread every year to be honest.

No idea why Minny would look at that trade, unless KAT demanded out. Even then, JB doesn’t seem like the best fit next to Edwards and Culver
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
You would have to add some stuff to a Jaylen based deal to land a player like KAT. KAT is a dilemma. He's perhaps the league's most talented player, really, but for too long he hasn't shown that last thing you absolutely need in the NBA to be truly great, which is high level competitiveness.

I'd rather take the same assets minus Jaylen, and lurk around for an opportunity at the trade deadline to land a really nice 3rd option type of guy. A $15-20M level player (Aaron Gordon, Eric Gordon, LaVert, Capela...) if one becomes available for a reasonable price.

If we did that without any core changes, and a couple of our players fill out a bit, this team could absolutely win it

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 07:20:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just read a story about all of the family KAT has lost to the virus. Perhaps he’s going to need a change of scenery later this year? If so, what are your thoughts on a deal like this, either now or at the deadline:

https://tradenba.com/trades/IcszJoIwl

KAT for Kemba, 2021 1st, 2023 1st, so we make a run in the playoffs with:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
KAT
TT

6th: Theis

Teague
R. Williams
Ojeyele
Langford
Nesmith
G. Williams
Pritchard
Green
Edwards

Talk about dominating the glass!

***Edit***

KAT

For

JB
Langford
Edwards
Green
2021 1st
2023 1st

Add a buy-out or TPE-for-starter, and I think that move could get us over the hump, too. Although obviously the preference would be to see KAT paired with Tatum, Brown and Smart, a Tatum/KAT/Smart Big 3 might be good enough to win it all, especially with Kemba for a couple years.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:14:59 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

No

KAT has a poor motor.  Not consistent

For an on and off type talent, he is seriously overpaid

Wolves won't make the playoffs for a long time or as long as KAT is the franchise player

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Do we?

You said that last year and Celtics managed to get to the ECF.  To be honest, if they can get KAT great but I'm not sure if he's really committed to winning. Brown has the better track record, might as well go for that.
And Boston had no shot at winning the title this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip