Poll

Are we still CHAMPIONSHIP contenders?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Are we still CHAMPIONSHIP contenders?  (Read 10467 times)

Re: Are we still CHAMPIONSHIP contenders?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
We move the ball better without Rondo. I don't know that we will be any worse than we were.

On the bright side, we will have a nice chunk of time to develop our young'ns this year, now. Run some plays for Green, Sully, Terry, Lee. I don't hate it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I voted Yes, only to be hard-headed.

But we'd need EVERYONE else on the team to step up, Big Time.

I've said on here before that if an injury/trade of ANY of the Big Three happened, that's it for the season.

I've been wrong before, I hope I'm wrong this time.

Today was a GREAT step in the right direction, though.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There are no other options. Can we win it all or not?

I say "Yes". Who's with me?!

I am with you. It's not like the team was lighting the world on fire with Rondo this season. Let's see what happens but I agree that this doesn't make the Celtics any less of a team. One player doesn't make a team (except maybe in the NBA ;)

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Never were from the beginning and now they are a first round out or second if they find a serviceable point guard.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
It is hysterical to read posters who say the team is better without Rondo. Supposedly the guy is in the top 20 for league MVP, yet the Celtics are better without him.  ::)

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
No NBA team can survive the loss of one of its top 2 or 3 players and still win a title.  Talent wins in the end.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
   They wren;t title contenders before the Rondo injury.   They certainly are not now.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Never were from the beginning and now they are a first round out or second if they find a serviceable point guard.

Other than the 6 game streak and isolated games (like today), the C's have not looked championship caliber this year.  But didn't the last 2 years in the reg season either.

But I totally agree that it is nonsense to think they are better without Rajon.  Maybe they'll get some emotion going and catch a few teams off guard without him in the next couple of weeks, but eventually, they can't win without him.   

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I love the Cs as much as everyone else here, but let's face reality. No, we are not contenders.

Rondo's injury is a huge blow. Not only will we not contend this year, but we also can't trade Rondo for at least a year. Moreover, he might not be the same player when he recovers.

Again, this is a huge blow (not to mention it sucks for Rondo).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It is hysterical to read posters who say the team is better without Rondo. Supposedly the guy is in the top 20 for league MVP, yet the Celtics are better without him.  ::)

Not sure that this is true, however I am also not sure that it is "hysterical". I think we will see the rest of the season whether that is accurate or not. No one is saying that Rondo isn't a skilled player and one of the better point guards. It doesn't mean however that with the composition of this team we might be better off with a different point guard. Rondo does many things extremely well, however he exposes us defensively, and has a habit of dribbling out the clock putting us in a bad situation at times. I don't think it is a coincidence that we were better defensively today and that there was a better spread of guys taking shots. I think at worst we didn't take a big dropoff. I wouldn't have minded trading Rondo for a legit center, but that's out the window now...

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm pretty sure we just beat the defending champs + their ref teammates.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We haven't been championship contenders since Shaq broke.  We were a feisty also-ran. 

At this point, we're completely mediocre.  Rondo's injury probably will not change that much.  We'll lose some passing, but the offense can be just as effective without him.  We'll just need to adjust the system to be more free-flowing and less Rondo-centralized.  We have the shooters and scorers to make it work just as efficiently.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yep, it's more difficult though, but since before the season started I said that if someone from our starting unit... well, from our big 3, goes down I'm more comfortable with Rondo going down.

We have a lot of talent in our guard rotation with plenty of people who can put the ball on the floor, and can move the ball. Also we have plenty of defense with Bradley and Lee.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'm not counting us out if we can just get to the playoffs which this team can given the east isn't stacked at all....then I'll take us against anybody out east. I am worried about running KG to the ground though bring back Melo sign Kmart somebody to just spot him minutes.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
I'm pretty sure we just beat the defending champs + their ref teammates.

But wait. I thought the regular season didn't matter. I guess today's game is different though because the Celtics won.