Author Topic: Writing is on the Wall: Win It All, or Daryl Morey and Gregg Popovich in 2021  (Read 6085 times)

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Ainge and CBS should be on the hot seat. Lakers have won three championships since the Cs last championship. Ainge needs to do better than winning trades.

Yep. It’s utterly confusing to me why some people are happy with us being the Hawks of the early/mid-2010s. I, for one, don’t care about winning trades if they do not lead to winning championships.

The hawks??? Seriously the hawks?? 3 ecf in 4 years and you compare the celtics to the hawks???

Are you sure you are not watching the Knicks?

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What makes you think Pops will leave SA for us? Sure, he likes Jaylen and Jayson but the identity of the Spurs organization was built up by him. He ain't no mercenary like Riley or Jackson. He will likely to retire than go coaching another team.

If Brad don't work, I would go call Larry Bird for coaching instead.
Man, I would love to see Bird come out of coaching retirement. I doubt he has one iota of interest in it, but there is always a place for him. 69% winning percentage is pretty darn solid
The way he improved Reggie Miller to keep his value afloat in the back end of his prime was fantastic, I would love to see him do it with Walker and Hayward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Stevens going be here for a long time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  More over Danny? Naw I’ll roll with Danny for now but Pop over Brad? Heck yeah. I have sooo much trust in Danny. Not that he’s can’t screw up because he’s done plenty but he’s also hit some insane homers. To me DANNY AINGE is by FAR the most valuable asset we have. But I thought NO scoring threat help off bench last year was a surprise with who we could have acquired. To me this means Danny thought we weren’t close. He’s made a bunch of mistakes in a row to ME the way I see it but these are subjective opinions.
     I didn’t want the Kyrie trade then but I didn’t know how bad the IT hip really was but allowing him to crap on our players publicly insulted me as a fan and I wa red some of that old Danny that would mix it up. I wanted to see a guy defend his guys. Instead he kinda blamed the young guys in my mind.
  He made that public jab about Jaylen wondering if we were that good . Sure it was a dumb comment t but Jaylen is the guy NOT to embarrass like that. He’s one of the guys sacrificing for the good of the team. You did t hear Jaylen before any year setting a goal of how many points he was gonna score. I think Danny has become a bit TOO arrogant.
  You got summer coaching staff putting a cap on what Tacko can be. Ok, dude but why would you say that into a microphone about a young guy. Nobody is asking for expectations there. I think there’s a lot of arrogance at the top.
   Then you have Brad. Great defensive coach. I hate his offense. I do f want to rely on analytics . Cold streak at worst time and we go home vs an inferior team. Wastes Jaylen. Pulls hook on guys early. Too much hero ball. Didn’t challenge for his team. Left timeouts on table as we shoot ourselves out of a finals chance. To me he choked, gave up. You name it. But I’m biased because I really hate the style of play. I realize he’s a smart dude.

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
We need a couple good big men. A couple guys larger than 6’8” who can play basketball and we’ll be fine. Baynes in free agency. If Noel wants to come home grab him. Draft at least one significant PF (I like Smith, Carey, Achiwa or Reed) and one nasty physical center (I like Azubuke) and we can roll anyone in the league, including the Lakers.

Heck, even Howard and/or Noel or Stein would have been enough to get us by Miami and then I like our match up against the Lakers.

The Lakers didn’t want us in the finals for a reason.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Remind me, how many titles does Morey have?  Trips to the Finals?

As many as Ainge the past nine years. Pop has five times as many championships as Ainge and three times as many trips to the Finals.

Popovich and Morey are in vastly different categories.

Morey’s teams have made it to the conference finals twice.
Yep and Houston has had the best player either team has had in that time frame.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I just can’t guess what’s on Danny’s mind. I don’t think Danny is as risky as he used to be after how IT situation was perceived. I can’t believe I’m even typing that. I feel that’s honestly a Celtic hate bias. Best GM is one that would do anything for the franchise. I believe Danny would. But I think Danny has so much faith in Brad that he’s bought into this hardline commitment to analytics. I really can’t believe Danny would be into this this heavy. Maybe his comments regarding Jaylen being incorporated HAVE to mean something. But is THAT’s what’s needed to get Brad to do that? Mention it publicly?
   Smart still went bombs away. Everyone jacking shots. No timeout? Please call a timeout! No challenges in two different games at CRUCIAL moments . This was to get to the FINALD to defend our organization as THE Best. I feel sick to my stomach that there’s not enough of someone in charge. Help the players cool down. Just call a timeout. Uggh.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Ainge and CBS should be on the hot seat. Lakers have won three championships since the Cs last championship. Ainge needs to do better than winning trades.
what a royal hot take.

2 of those Laker titles were 2009 and 2010.  2009 when KG was injured as we were tearing up the league and 2010 .  no injury - highly likely C's repeat the title.  2010, no injury to Perk in the finals and we likely win that title as well.  Not faulting Ainge for KG's injury
The other Laker title was this year in a screwy bubble environment when we had 4 all-star level players when healthy and we ended up still getting to the conference finals with an injured Hayward and what appears to be a less-than-100% Kemba.  I'm not going to fault Ainge for 4 all-star players in very recent years starting with Horford, Hayward, Irving and Kemba.  Making some terrific draft picks in Tatum, Brown and Smart to go with those moves.  Let's not forget obtaining a second string point guard and having him blow up into an almost unstoppable force on offense until injuring his hip (IT).

yeah, Danny sucks.  Brad sucks.  let's dump them.   ::)

At the end of the day it is about scoreboard. You give all these injury reasons for not winning. Do you know that Bynum missed the finals i 2008. Why didnt you mention that?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Lol. This board goes from "we need big men!!!!111!!!" to "Daryl Morey for GM!!!!1111" If you hate the "small ball" we play now, what do you think Daryl Morey is going to bring to this team?

Danny will have this job until Zarren takes over GM. And Brad's going to be here for awhile. We've been to the ECF 3 of the last 4 years - 2 of which were as Cinderalla stories that no one expected - so I think we're in a good spot now.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What makes you think Pops will leave SA for us? Sure, he likes Jaylen and Jayson but the identity of the Spurs organization was built up by him. He ain't no mercenary like Riley or Jackson. He will likely to retire than go coaching another team.

If Brad don't work, I would go call Larry Bird for coaching instead.
Man, I would love to see Bird come out of coaching retirement. I doubt he has one iota of interest in it, but there is always a place for him. 69% winning percentage is pretty darn solid
The way he improved Reggie Miller to keep his value afloat in the back end of his prime was fantastic, I would love to see him do it with Walker and Hayward.
I feel like Bird and Hayward would be a great player-coach duo. Fun to dream
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
what a royal hot take.

2 of those Laker titles were 2009 and 2010.  2009 when KG was injured as we were tearing up the league and 2010 .  no injury - highly likely C's repeat the title.  2010, no injury to Perk in the finals and we likely win that title as well.  Not faulting Ainge for KG's injury
The other Laker title was this year in a screwy bubble environment when we had 4 all-star level players when healthy and we ended up still getting to the conference finals with an injured Hayward and what appears to be a less-than-100% Kemba.  I'm not going to fault Ainge for 4 all-star players in very recent years starting with Horford, Hayward, Irving and Kemba.  Making some terrific draft picks in Tatum, Brown and Smart to go with those moves.  Let's not forget obtaining a second string point guard and having him blow up into an almost unstoppable force on offense until injuring his hip (IT).

yeah, Danny sucks.  Brad sucks.  let's dump them.   ::)

At the end of the day it is about scoreboard. You give all these injury reasons for not winning. Do you know that Bynum missed the finals i 2008. Why didnt you mention that?
I didn't mention it because the way the C's steamrolled the league that year, Bynum wouldn't have made enough of a difference for LA.  C's still take that title in 2008.  LA needed injuries on our end to take the title the next two years with essentially weaker Celtic rosters those years.

if all you count is the 'scoreboard' at the end, I take it that you have no regard for the effort/time/cost and just plain savvy to construct a team to compete that season.  injuries cannot be foreseen and will derail even the best laid plans.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I disagree completely with the premise of this thread.

The only way you'd see Ainge and stevens both gone in one off-season would be if some catastrophe happened that forced the team to completely reset and begin a lengthy rebuild, and they both decided to resign and do other things.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
We need a couple good big men. A couple guys larger than 6’8” who can play basketball and we’ll be fine. Baynes in free agency. If Noel wants to come home grab him. Draft at least one significant PF (I like Smith, Carey, Achiwa or Reed) and one nasty physical center (I like Azubuke) and we can roll anyone in the league, including the Lakers.

Heck, even Howard and/or Noel or Stein would have been enough to get us by Miami and then I like our match up against the Lakers.

The Lakers didn’t want us in the finals for a reason.

If we get Baynes other than maybe adding a shooter off the bench I think we are all set. Baynes is perfect for this team, not just skillset wise but also adding history and chemistry factors.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Yep. It’s utterly confusing to me why some people are happy with us being the Hawks of the early/mid-2010s. I, for one, don’t care about winning trades if they do not lead to winning championships.

The hawks??? Seriously the hawks?? 3 ecf in 4 years and you compare the celtics to the hawks???

Are you sure you are not watching the Knicks?

Hey some folks have high standards...championship or bust. If you don't win a ring you're an epic fail and need to get booted with someone who (presumably) will be better each year  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If Pop is coming next season to relieve CBS then I want Tim Duncan to Player-Coach, too.

All we need is like 20-25 minutes per game from Timmy.

A 44 YO TD should be able to give us 8 PPG, 6 rebs, 4 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks a game, right?