Author Topic: How do you juggle your love of the Celtics with your love life?  (Read 9790 times)

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
To make a long story short, I love the Celtics. So of course I watch every game. I'm not a huge fan of DVR'ing the games because I like the live action. Don't get me wrong. DVR is great for The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones or something. But it just doesn't work for sports.

My girl friend is not a basketball fan. She has watched the games with me but halfway through the first quarter she will start doodling on her phone. This just annoys me. I'd rather watch it by myself.

I've tried explaining the game to her, trying to make it fun, and even attempting to make it entertaining. Nothing really works. She just does not like basketball. I can understand that. It's not for everybody. And keep in mind, I'm a fanatic. I like to rewind the travels I call and watch them in slow motion. I can see how that's not everyone's cup of tea.

But the problem lies in the fact that I like to watch the games and the games come on at night. For example, I'd prefer to watch the Celtics than to go out to eat to be honest. The Celtics bring me joy, whereas going out to eat usually just makes me more broke and feeling slightly unsatisfied. My girl friend does not understand this, nor has any girl friend I've ever had.

I'm thinking "I can't be the only one with this problem, can I?"

Don't even get me started about Sundays, which are dedicated to the Patriots. I chose the Patriots over my ex-girlfriend because she insisted on spending Sundays with me, even though she hated football, but I chose the Pats instead.

I do believe in compromise. Don't get me wrong. I just hate the feeling that my girl friend thinks I'm some weird sports fanatic. I just like to watch the C's and the Pats. What's wrong with that?

Re: How do you juggle your love of the Celtics with your love life?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
You need to make the games interesting to her.  The trick is to explain the backstories of the players on BOTH teams, not just the Celtics.  I give in depth biographies as the game goes and try to set up stakes at different parts of the game.  I don't just try to root for the Celtics to win and only that, I make little "mini-tests" as the game goes to keep it interesting.

So for instance if we're watching Dallas play, I'll be like "Dirk is really great at [move x], if he gets that shot going then the rest of the players will have to react this way."  Then if he starts hitting his step back, then you go "okay now the Celtics have to guard it this way, which will leave Ellis open.  But if Jae is guarding him, then it frees up our defense to do this. "  Then that leads to me explaining who Crowder is and why he's a success story.  Then if he starts doing good, then you can get your girlfriend easily rooting for him to keep it up. 

You just need to turn it into more of a "story" than a game and they'll start to enjoy it.  The secret is that the NBA is super fun to watch and basically anybody would like it if they knew what was going on.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
How long have you been dating her?

My gf pretended to love watching sports when we first started dating. Now she just lets me watch it on your own.

That being said, you are going to need to compromise. If you really like this girl you will agree to dvring games and maybe watch the game after you take her out for dinner. Or at least watch them delayed. DVRing the games is probably the smallest compromise you can make.

As to what to do on Sunday. My girlfriend just stopped coming over on Sunday. I made an effort to do things with her before the games start on Sunday. We are moving in together in September so I'm probably going to go to a friends house to watch the games once the season starts.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Sundays are always tough. I kinda dedicate the whole day to football. It's also hard because with only 16 games, every game means something so you don't want to miss any.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Sundays are always tough. I kinda dedicate the whole day to football. It's also hard because with only 16 games, every game means something so you don't want to miss any.

So true. Right now, when I know the C's are lousy and they are playing the Bucks in March, I don't care that much if I miss a game. But football, every Sunday counts.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
How long have you been dating her?

My gf pretended to love watching sports when we first started dating. Now she just lets me watch it on your own.

That being said, you are going to need to compromise. If you really like this girl you will agree to dvring games and maybe watch the game after you take her out for dinner. Or at least watch them delayed. DVRing the games is probably the smallest compromise you can make.

As to what to do on Sunday. My girlfriend just stopped coming over on Sunday. I made an effort to do things with her before the games start on Sunday. We are moving in together in September so I'm probably going to go to a friends house to watch the games once the season starts.

Probably around five months. So we were getting to know each other when basketball season was in full swing. I used to joke with her and tell her that I was going to teach her the game and such. She acted interested. I tried to make the games interesting, tell the stories, etc. And that worked for about a game or two. Then she became disinterested and played on Facebook with her phone. We haven't been together long enough for football season. But I imagine it's not going to go over well (assuming we're still together).

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:08:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
well, you both will need to work out something with each other and my advice not central.

having said that, this is a negotiation between you two it seems. she watches at least some of the game with you. do you go shopping with her? cook with her? watch her TV shows? a quid pro quo might be helpful.

bottom line is that you both dont have to do everything together. each can have their own time in addition to being together.

simple stuff on some levels.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 12:28:19 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Haha I love hearing that people are as obsessed with the C's as me lol

I tried getting my wife and stepdaughter into it, but I found out quickly that I much prefer watching by myself or with buddies. They're just not interested in some things, similar to how I refuse to watch Keeping up with the Kardashians with her. they also say I scream too much during the games. :P

I'd say let her be. Literally the only shows that my wife and I both really enjoy is The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones. (Score!) Just try and find something you both like, because I really don't think you can force people to like things that they simply don't have the taste for.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 01:55:21 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
there are women that are simply not interested in sports so if you really like this girl you have to compromise if not then go find a sports loving girl.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 02:04:17 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
You could go the Tom Thibodeau route and focus solely on the Celtics. ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:46:42 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 02:53:11 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Priorities, man.

If your girlfriend is worth staying with, don't let Celtics basketball or Patriots football Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. up your relationship. And if she's not, do whatever the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. you want cause who cares?

If you are really interested in getting her into Sports, try to get her to find a team she likes. Yes, it might not even be the Celtics--but if you can get her to like one team, you can get her into the sport, and once she gets into the sport, there's a good chance she'll enjoy the games more.

I'm a Pats, Celtics, and Uconn fan. My girlfriend is from Kentucky and never really liked watching sports at all. What she does like is winning. When it was Uconn vs UK in the finals 2 years ago, she turned into a UK fan because she loves competing against me (I had to sleep on the couch after we won). This last year, she watched with glee as UK made it far in the tournament and Uconn failed to make a tournament appearance, but the more she watched, the more she cared about the rules and the more she understood the game. Near the end of the tournament she was watching the other teams (not UK) play because she enjoyed watching basketball. I now can watch hoops with her and it's a lot of fun. But she's still not a Uconn fan.

It might be similar with you and your girlfriend. Find a way to make her connect with the sport. If she's super competitive, maybe she'll like the Lakers (just so she can compete against you). If she likes winning, maybe she'll like the Spurs. She needs a personal connection to the team before she'll start to care about the sport--once she cares about the sport, she'll watch your games too (although, if she's a Lakers fan, she might rout against the Celtics).
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 05:12:53 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Watch the games without her
That's what I do

Sports are usually a guy time unless she is interested in the sport
Watch the games with your friends

Spend quality time with your gf and don't drag her to it
That would just be annoying Seeing someone not appreciate an event

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Had the same problem.    What helped me was to invite my gf to join fantasy basketball with me.   

Now she knows all the players names but not what they look like so it's fun for her to play 'who is who' when the games are on.   

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I tell Mrs Eja117....."The game is on. Get me a beer"....12 years and counting.

Oh yeah. In the mean time I buy her jewelry, shoes, and sometimes cook

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I got a divorce.