Author Topic: Ainge: Price for Harden Too High  (Read 10653 times)

Ainge: Price for Harden Too High
« on: January 14, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
During an interview on Thursday following the completion of the James Harden trade, Danny Ainge revealed the Boston Celtics were involved in the trade talks but that the price wasn't to their liking.

"Yeah, we had conversations regarding James, not recently but yeah, we did have conversations," Ainge said. "We had numerous talks, but the price really wasn't changing. The price was really high for us, and it was something we really didn't want to do ... I think unanimously, we decided it wasn't time for us and it wasn't the price."

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN reported that the Celtics were the third team involved in trade discussions along with the Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers.

The Celtics were similarly close to a deal for Jimmy Butler in 2017, but they were unwilling to include the No. 3 pick in that draft which became Jayson Tatum or the 2018 pick from Brooklyn included in the Kyrie Irving trade.

Boston also discussed a similar trade that month with the Indiana Pacers for Paul George, but Tatum's second workout convinced them otherwise.

According to Brian Robb of the Boston Sports Journal, the Rockets were asking for Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and draft compensation.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:00:06 PM by Redz »

Re: Ainge: price for harden too high
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I'm really glad Ainge didn't consider that package. It would have been a big mistake and a gut punch to lose Jaylen and Smart for Harden.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:24:18 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
According to Brian Robb of the Boston Sports Journal, the Rockets were asking for Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and draft compensation.
Wouldn't have traded Brown + Smart + pick(s) for Harden either. That being said, I would have gladly traded Theis + BOS 2021 first for Jarrett Allen + Taurean Prince. I guess we would have cut Green. His contract is non-guaranteed till February 27.

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Prince
PF: Tatum
C: Allen

(till Kemba and Romeo come back)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:36:51 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 02:25:44 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'm really glad Ainge didn't consider that package. It would have been a big mistake and a gut punch to lose Jaylen and Smart for Harden.

Lowe said his sources claim that Cs never offered Brown unlike PHI with Simmons.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Of course this is what Houston asked for.  Many of us speculated exactly this.  Danny offered back Kemba and predictably Houston said no.

I don't think that is a terribly unreasonable ask by Houston but given where this team is right now, it amounts to a reset.  I am glad that trade was not made.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 02:43:12 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

And sometimes, the best trades are the ones you do make, if you want to win.  :P

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

And sometimes, the best trades are the ones you do make, if you want to win.  :P

They've seem to be doing alright so far.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

With all due respect, it's not like we are a team like the Hornets that would be happy with ''doing alright''. I bet the Hornets would have been ecstatic if they had made the ECF. The C's have won a record 17 NBA championships. ''Alright'' ain't good enough.

Again, I'm not advocating that we should have bet the farm on Harden. My point is that we lost a terrific opportunity to land our Center of the future in Jarrett Allen. We also lost an even better opportunity last summer when we could have signed Christian Wood. Talented big men don't exactly grow on trees. Danny had no backup plan in case Hayward wanted to walk. Don't think he should be beyond criticism. He has done a terrific job, but he's made mistakes as well.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Of course this is what Houston asked for.  Many of us speculated exactly this.  Danny offered back Kemba and predictably Houston said no.

I don't think that is a terribly unreasonable ask by Houston but given where this team is right now, it amounts to a reset.  I am glad that trade was not made.

How do we know what Danny offered, if anything?

Just because they were 'engaged in talks', it's very possible that was just Houston making offers and Danny could have been listening and then saying, " ... nah".
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

With all due respect, it's not like we are a team like the Hornets that would be happy with ''doing alright''. I bet the Hornets would have been ecstatic if they had made the ECF. The C's have won a record 17 NBA championships. ''Alright'' ain't good enough.

Again, I'm not advocating that we should have bet the farm on Harden. My point is that we lost a terrific opportunity to land our Center of the future in Jarrett Allen. We also lost an even better opportunity last summer when we could have signed Christian Wood. Talented big men don't exactly grow on trees. Danny had no backup plan in case Hayward wanted to walk. Don't think he should be beyond criticism. He has done a terrific job, but he's made mistakes as well.

They were in the ECF last season and currently have the best winning percentage in the East without the benefit of Kemba. 

The sky is falling crap because they haven't made a splash is amusing.  Plus the trade deadline is still two months away.

Re: Ainge: Price for Harden Too High
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  My point is that we lost a terrific opportunity to land our Center of the future in Jarrett Allen.

Our current center of the future is outproducing him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

How do we know what Danny offered, if anything?

Just because they were 'engaged in talks', it's very possible that was just Houston making offers and Danny could have been listening and then saying, " ... nah".

I am just speculating.  Isn't that the idea of this forum?  Of course I don't know and Ainge isn't going to say "yeah, we offered back Kemba and they said no".  It is just my opinion which is often wrong.

I did speculate "on the record" that my opinion was that Houston would want Brown and Smart.  To me, Ainge saying they had "conversations" implies more than just listening and saying no.  But who knows.  This wouldn't be much of a forum if people only posted sourced facts.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 03:13:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Is it possible you may be overrating Jarrett Allen? I've said he's a solid player and a solid starter, but I don't think he's a "center of the future" for us by any stretch.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Again, I'm not advocating that we should have bet the farm on Harden. My point is that we lost a terrific opportunity to land our Center of the future in Jarrett Allen. We also lost an even better opportunity last summer when we could have signed Christian Wood. Talented big men don't exactly grow on trees.
So ... maybe the Celtics view Robert Williams as their 'center of the future'?

Danny had no backup plan in case Hayward wanted to walk. Don't think he should be beyond criticism. He has done a terrific job, but he's made mistakes as well.

He clearly DID have a backup plan, and it is still in play.  He has a large TPE with Hayward's salary slot that he can utilize to add someone. 

I also suspect that they would rather use it to try to fill talent at the 'big wing' position (the void that Hayward's leaving created), though, and not at some other position (the 5) where they already have three guys worthy of starting and deserving of more minutes than are available.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.