Author Topic: Bruins clinch playoff berth  (Read 25226 times)

Re: Bruins clinch playoff berth
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 11:52:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What a game tonight.  There really is absolutely nothing more exciting than an overtime hockey playoff game (and I mean anything...even C's playoff games). 

This is turning into one hell of a series.  I really hope we get to see Bergeron out there, that could put it over the top.

They won a game, which is all I wanted.  Everything else is just gravy.  I'm definitely proud of the team for playing so hard the last two games.

And agreed, playoff hockey is the best, and overtime playoff hockey takes that to a whole other level.  Great stuff.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Just warming up the Garden for next weekend.  Good to get some good vibes going in the building.  I really hope they can keep playing well and push the series to 6 or 7 games.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 02:15:59 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This to me is what the definition of "heart" and "determination" is - beating the odds and doing whatever it takes to scrap out a win. Awesome job by the B's, pulling out what seemed like a lost cause. If anyone can steal a series it's these boys, and whatever happens, they can hold their heads high this year. Great job, guys ... we're all behind you!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 08:56:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Was fortunate enough to be at the game last night.  What an atmosphere!  The Garden was rocking the entire game.  Pretty incredible.  Lots of Habs fan made the trek down and were certainly vocal and the back and forth chanting between B's and Montreal fans was pretty cool.  Add a heckuva game to the atmosphere and you had quite the sporting event. 

Awesome time and helluva game. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
NOT DEAD YET. 

They rattled Price.  if they can get an early goal next game he could struggle.  This isn't over. 

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 09:52:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Wow.  Where did that come from?  Loved hearing a stunned Montreal crowd.  Good for the Bruins.  They pretty much could have lost tonight and most fans would have applauded them for a good effort against a better team.

Of course now that they've raised oour expectation...Ugghhh
Yup

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 10:14:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Is this looking a little familiar to anyone?  http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/2004stanleycup/a/1_Bruins_Habs.htm

Claude Julien knows how to coach playoff hockey.

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 11:14:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Is this looking a little familiar to anyone?  http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/2004stanleycup/a/1_Bruins_Habs.htm

He just looks like a hockey coach doesn't he?  Something about him reminds me of Scotty Bowman - and that can't be a bad thing.
Yup

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 11:23:02 PM »

Offline noro

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
  • Welcome to the Loud House
I was there for game 7 of 2004. That was the best hockey game I have ever been to even though they lost. Hopefully they can keep the goal scoring up, and Bergeron may be cleared to play game 7. If he came back it would be a tremendous boost.

On another topic though, I cannot stand Canadien fans. The Go Habs Go and their soccer chants need to stop! No Canadien fans allowed in the garden on Saturday night! Please.
2003 National Champions

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, I really didn't expect that last night.  Great win.  Price absolutely fell apart in that third period.  Back to Boston and I have to think the Habs are feeling a bit of pressure now.

Like others have mentioned, I'd just like to see the B's win to shut up those annoying Habs fans.

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
when they were down 1-0 in the 1st, i was actually thinking to myself "great year to build on, great effort, i'd love to go to the airport to applaud these guys when they get back."  This team could of easily packed it in after that 1st goal, going up against a young phenom goalie and an absolutely amped crowd - but the resiliency on this team in incredible and they NEED to get more ink in Boston. 

This is one of the more likable Boston teams that i've had the pleasure of rooting for in a long time; no star power, just a gritty, grind it out group of guys that know how to play physical and play for eachother.

I don't see how any other coach could win Coach of the Year this year.  I was one of many who questioned the claude julien signing when it happened, but his ability to reach the young guys is amazing.

let's give Chiarelli some credit, too.  He hasn't been given much to work with, but has done a great job with personel desicions regarding both the young guys and the vets.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »

Offline Bastone

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Take it from me as a Montrealer,  the Canadiens fans are just so pumped and starving for a championship!  And yes, they can be annoying but Bruins fans have only themselves to blame for that.  Why can't the city of Boston support their Bruins, at least in the playoffs, and sell out the TD Garden.  If that were the case, no Montreal fan would have the opportunity to buy tickets and attend the games.  As things now stand, it is far easier and cheaper to buy tickets for games in Boston, along with travel expenses, than to buy tickets at the Bell Center.

As for last night's game, Boston definitely derserved it and I am glad to see they were compensated with a win.  The Habs were trying to play defensive it seemed in the 2nd period and unbelievably trying to protect a 1 goal lead.  I guess when a team lacks scoring like the Bruins, it may have been human nature to behave that way.  It still is inexcusable against professionals and I'm glad the Bruins exploded in the 3rd period with 4 goals.

Unfortunately Bruins fans, I do believe the Habs have learned from their mistakes and tomorrow night will be a heck of a game with the Habs finally closing the series.

Let's all hope for a great game for the ages!

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Take it from me as a Montrealer,  the Canadiens fans are just so pumped and starving for a championship!  And yes, they can be annoying but Bruins fans have only themselves to blame for that.  Why can't the city of Boston support their Bruins, at least in the playoffs, and sell out the TD Garden.  If that were the case, no Montreal fan would have the opportunity to buy tickets and attend the games.  As things now stand, it is far easier and cheaper to buy tickets for games in Boston, along with travel expenses, than to buy tickets at the Bell Center.

As for last night's game, Boston definitely derserved it and I am glad to see they were compensated with a win.  The Habs were trying to play defensive it seemed in the 2nd period and unbelievably trying to protect a 1 goal lead.  I guess when a team lacks scoring like the Bruins, it may have been human nature to behave that way.  It still is inexcusable against professionals and I'm glad the Bruins exploded in the 3rd period with 4 goals.

Unfortunately Bruins fans, I do believe the Habs have learned from their mistakes and tomorrow night will be a heck of a game with the Habs finally closing the series.

Let's all hope for a great game for the ages!

A lot of it has to do with the fact that the casual Bruins fan has been estranged from the team for the better part of a decade now.  The ownership has driven that team into the ground in many aspects and has driven away many B's fans.  The diehards have always remained and that's admirable but with the success of the Patriots, Red Sox, and now Celtics in the last 8 years or so, the Bruins have fallen by the wayside with most Boston sports fans because they just haven't brought anything to the table and the perception that the owner is cheap and lets any of the good Bruins talent walk away.  It's a very acrimonious relationship that may never be healed until Jacobs sells the team. 

I do think you'll see more B's fans there on Saturday night than the previous two home games, though.  City has definitely started to take notice.

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline lobstermobster

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

He just looks like a hockey coach doesn't he?  Something about him reminds me of Scotty Bowman - and that can't be a bad thing.

Julien is a guy who almost never gets outcoached.  In addition to looking like a coach,  he has that in common with Bowman. He clearly has inferior talent compared to the Canadiens.  Doesn't matter.  He finds a way to even things up.

Why would anybody fire this guy?

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:44 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
One more game baby!!!!  Unbelievable!!