Author Topic: Toronto as a threat to Celtics  (Read 7581 times)

Re: Toronto as a threat to Celtics
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 01:47:53 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
This trade makes Toronto a real threat.

Their bench is still arguably the best in the NBA and now they have acquired an all-defense wing along with the best defensive player in the NBA without giving up much more than Demar Derozan.

They won 59 games and got a lot better.

You act like DeRozan was a throw-in. He was a major reason they won 59 games. He has given them about 25ppg for the last three seasons. That is a lot of production they will have to replace. Lowry is their 2nd best scorer and he is clearly regressing and will be 32. That means Kawhi will have to be at least getting you 23-25ppg while also playing elite defense. All coming off a major injury and going to a place he doesn't want to be. That is a lot to ask.

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Their bench is still arguably the best in the NBA and now they have acquired an all-defense wing along with the best defensive player in the NBA without giving up much more than Demar Derozan.

You act like DeRozan was a throw-in. He was a major reason they won 59 games. He has given them about 25ppg for the last three seasons. That is a lot of production they will have to replace. Lowry is their 2nd best scorer and he is clearly regressing and will be 32. That means Kawhi will have to be at least getting you 23-25ppg while also playing elite defense. All coming off a major injury and going to a place he doesn't want to be. That is a lot to ask.
Yeah, DeMar has been basically a 25/5/5 guy for a few years on the trot, and has played at least 74 games over all three of them. Plus, Jakob Poeltl was key for them, playing all 82 games during the regular season as their only real bench big. That's a big loss for them I think, as Jonas V and Ibaka both played under 30mpg
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 04:49:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Yeah, DeMar has been basically a 25/5/5 guy for a few years on the trot, and has played at least 74 games over all three of them. Plus, Jakob Poeltl was key for them, playing all 82 games during the regular season as their only real bench big. That's a big loss for them I think, as Jonas V and Ibaka both played under 30mpg
Poeltl the Turtle (RHYMES :laugh:) is a good bench big, but let's not pretend the Raptors don't have solid replacements for him. Siakam has showed promise at the 4/5 positions last season and will likely continue to improve, allowing the Raptors to mix and match Jonas/Ibaka/Siakam at the 5. That's pretty good to me imo, although the departure of the Turtle did make them a bit thinner at the 5.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The team that had the most wins in the East last year replaced a very good offensive player with a player that is better at every basketball skill there is. They also added a veteran good defensive player that can hit 3s. I am more worried about Toronto than Philly or Milwaukee or Indiana or Washington.

I still think (barring any injuries) that we should be the favorite in the East but Toronto is going to be very good.

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Poeltl the Turtle (RHYMES :laugh:) is a good bench big, but let's not pretend the Raptors don't have solid replacements for him. Siakam has showed promise at the 4/5 positions last season and will likely continue to improve, allowing the Raptors to mix and match Jonas/Ibaka/Siakam at the 5. That's pretty good to me imo, although the departure of the Turtle did make them a bit thinner at the 5.
I guess it might not hurt with different coaches, as now JV might actually get back into the high 20's for MPG (was around 22mpg for '17-'18, which seems ridiculously low to me). We'll see, but I think depth wise he's being overlooked as a loss
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I imagine the injury thing should work itself out - we are all expecting 100% Hayward and Irving, after all - but the bolded is what really matters. Of course a fully engaged Kawhi, along with Toronto's other strong roster pieces, should be a real threat to the Cs, but that part is totally up in the air right now.

Have we ever seen a situation like this before? Kawhi was absolutely insisting that he go to one particular city and instead gets traded to a very cold one in a different country (note - I absolutely love Toronto and have spent months at a time there, but it is clearly a different place than LA). With only one year left on his contract, he barely has one foot in the door - is there any possible way he 'embraces' it? And this isn't like OKC/George where money and friendship kept George around. Kawhi really doesn't seem to care about that stuff.

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 08:20:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I imagine the injury thing should work itself out - we are all expecting 100% Hayward and Irving, after all - but the bolded is what really matters. Of course a fully engaged Kawhi, along with Toronto's other strong roster pieces, should be a real threat to the Cs, but that part is totally up in the air right now.

Have we ever seen a situation like this before? Kawhi was absolutely insisting that he go to one particular city and instead gets traded to a very cold one in a different country (note - I absolutely love Toronto and have spent months at a time there, but it is clearly a different place than LA). With only one year left on his contract, he barely has one foot in the door - is there any possible way he 'embraces' it? And this isn't like OKC/George where money and friendship kept George around. Kawhi really doesn't seem to care about that stuff.
Personally, I'm not assuming Kawhi will not be engaged or fully healed.  That makes Toronto a threat, just not as much of a threat as last year's Cavs.

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Talent wise the Raptors don't hold a candle to our roster...
\

I think with the acquisition of Leonard they more than hold a candle to the Sixers, though.
i am so glad the 6ers couldnt get him

he's literally the perfect player for that team
Before this nonsense with the Spurs, I would have agreed that Kawhi would have been perfect for the Sixers.  Not just from playing style but also from personality perspective.  With Embiid and Simmons, they don't need another big personality.  Now I'm not sure what to think of Kawhi.  Forcing yourself off the Kings or Hornets is one thing but off the Spurs. 

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
My concern is that a healthy Leonard is the sorta guy you want to throw at the likes of Tatum, Hayward and Brown.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Personally, I'm not assuming Kawhi will not be engaged or fully healed.  That makes Toronto a threat, just not as much of a threat as last year's Cavs.

The catch 22 is that if he's completely fine, then his behavior is inexcusable, and he might cause more trouble going forward. If he's not fine, then he's not going to be the same player he was.

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
No disrespect to Leonard, but I am not going to miss DeRozen torching us during the 4th quarter with those mid range shots.

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
My concern is that a healthy Leonard is the sorta guy you want to throw at the likes of Tatum, Hayward and Brown.

yeah, but at the same time he can only guard one of them at a time. I think the celtics will have too much talent/depth that will still overcome the raptors

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i like th C's chances

Tatum and Brown ...come back stronger and more mature experienced than ever.....

This closes the gap on An older Lowry and Kawhi

Hayward and Uncle Drew .....top the rest of their talent.

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
A)  In regards to the OP, I think Raptors hope they can re-sign Leonard.

B) Raptors are the Cs top challenger in the East.

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sure, Toronto could be a threat. But there are a lot of "if's" that have to go right for them.

* If Kawhi is fully healthy

* If Kawhi buys into the team culture there

* If Nurse is capable of getting more from the rest of the team in the playoffs than Casey was

* If Anunoby and Siakam take a step forward in their progression

* If Ibaka doesn't become completely useless

* If Danny Green doesn't see further slippage in his game

So, sure, if most or all of these things work out in their favor, they could be a threat. My guess is it doesn't work out as they hope and Kawhi leaves next summer.