Author Topic: CP3 & Carmelo could be headed to Knicks  (Read 3336 times)

Re: CP3 & Carmelo could be headed to Knicks
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
10 years too late but it would be funny. Gotta feel this would only stunt RJ Barrett right?
Reminds me of when the Knicks acquired guys like Steve Francis, Penny Hardaway, and Vin Baker.  Chris Paul can still help a team and he'd be a benefit from a professionalism standpoint, but the Knicks need to choose a direction and this isn't the right direction.  Carmelo would not help the team at all.
Yeah, I just don't get it. Maybe they scrape into the playoffs with a starting lineup of Paul-Barrett-Melo-Randle-Robinson? Is that worth the huge contract of CP3 and the likely stunting of young talent?
Depends on what Knicks think of their young talent. Teams often feel the pressure to extend their young talented players beyond rookie deals. This is how Minnesota gave Wiggins a max contract. I think knicks are better off just reshuffling their young talent until they strike gold in the draft and or a top 5 player chooses to go there but they are generally less patient than other franchises.
After all who wonts to pay thousands for court side seats when there are no stars on the court?
You said it all.  But at some point you'd think they'd play the long game to get out of the embarrassing rut that they've been in for so many years.  Like gouki88 said, adding Chris Paul maybe scrapes them into the playoffs for a 2 year period, and then they go back to a worse level than if they never acquired Chris Paul at all.  And Carmelo doesn't help them short term or long term.
I'm having difficulty seeing who the Knicks would move out of the playoffs from this year's teams in the East.  add in the fact Brooklyn will have Durant and Kyrie active for next year and I don't see any team from this year's playoff teams that couldn't outplay a CP3 Knicks team to get to the playoffs.
Eh the 8 seed is between Orlando and Washington ... maybe even Atlanta ... they have to pass all those 3... not impossible but still tough to do with Paul plus 14 mediocre players.

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 04:08:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
On the other side of this is the prospect of OKC returning Adams, SGA, Schroeder, Dort, Diallo and Bazley. Then probably picking up Randle to replace Gallo, Knox, a Knick PG(Smith, Payton or Ntilikina) and a first rounder. The Thunder already have 15 1st rounders through 2026.

OKC could be young and good and have tons of picks to add possibly a couple of young superstars.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:37:16 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
On the other side of this is the prospect of OKC returning Adams, SGA, Schroeder, Dort, Diallo and Bazley. Then probably picking up Randle to replace Gallo, Knox, a Knick PG(Smith, Payton or Ntilikina) and a first rounder. The Thunder already have 15 1st rounders through 2006.

OKC could be young and good and have tons of picks to add possibly a couple of young superstars.

OKC has done a phenomenal job pivoting from Westbrook/George.  Those two weren't taking them anywhere so to be in the spot they are now is a bit of a coup.  If they can pull assets for CP3 on top of that it's just gravy.