Author Topic: The Little Guy has to  (Read 10381 times)

The Little Guy has to
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:50:06 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
The little guy has to go. 

I love him - he has made Celtics basketball watchable and entertaining for the past few years.  But we now see his limitations.  Can he be a super Eddie House - oh yes.  Can he succeed with a super front court behind him on defense - maybe.  But the league has now seen the weakness of the Celtics.  Exploit Thomas on defense.

Even if the Celtics get past Washington, Thomas cannot stop Irving. And the new game plan will be post Thomas with the bigger player. Cause havoc on the C's defense.

I love IT, will hate to see him go.  But I have difficulty seeing a path to the championship with IT as the starting PG. 

I would strike while the iron is hot - and see what his value is. 

Re: The Little Guy has to
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Imagine IT with another wing player who could score

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
You can't win in the playoffs with one very good offensive player, a center that plays like a SF, and 4 undersized guards.  IT is the only reason we made even made the playoffs. 

Mods, can this thread be locked? There has to be some level of quality control here. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 627
You can't win in the playoffs with one very good offensive player, a center that plays like a SF, and 4 undersized guards.  IT is the only reason we made even made the playoffs. 

Mods, can this thread be locked? There has to be some level of quality control here.

Dude had an opinion that is different than yours. Don't be an elitist fascist snob. He should be allowed to express it in the non-offensive manner that celtics blog allows. You sound whiny, calling for mommy to step in because you don't like the game another child is playing.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Almost made the exact same topic about how IT's limitations have been put on display by Washington.

He is an unbelievable offensive player, but Washington has shown how you can take him out of his role these last two games, and we all know he is a defensive liability though it is not for lack of effort.

I would love to see Isaiah get a second scoring option by his side, like Hayward for example, but I really don't know how far this team can go with IT as the top player come playoff time.  His next contract has me very weary.

And no, I don't think this thread should be locked.  I know I'm not the only poster who wonders what we should do with Thomas.  It may not be the prevailing opinion, but I really don't see us being a serious contender with him as our starting point guard, and the possibility of paying him 25-30 million a year doesn't help!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:43:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Dude had an opinion that is different than yours. Don't be an elitist fascist snob. He should be allowed to express it in the non-offensive manner that celtics blog allows. You sound whiny, calling for mommy to step in because you don't like the game another child is playing.

Fascist? That's an interesting take, but couched within rubbish.

I'd appreciate some evidence to back-up this claim. Provide statistical evidence or qualitative information to support the notion that IT is the reason we've been outplayed by the Wizards.

Comparing IT to Eddie House detracts from the quality of the forum. Call me the Erdoğan of CsBlog, but I believe the quality of that comment warrants locking the thread.  I won't stoop beneath that by slinging mud as you have.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I'd appreciate some evidence to back-up this claim. Provide statistical evidence or qualitative information to support the notion that IT is the reason we've been outplayed by the Wizards.

Comparing IT to Eddie House detracts from the quality of the forum. Call me the Erdoğan of CsBlog, but I believe the quality of that comment warrants locking the thread.  I won't stoop beneath that by slinging mud as you have.
locking a thread because you disagree is a ridiculous. Grow up.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

That's helpful, thanks. TP, brother.  I had no idea that would elicit such a strong response. 

I'll exercise my privilege to spew ideas that aren't grounded in any evidence and detract from the quality of the forum.  Stop by my threads -- lots to come. 

Do you support this notion? I'm just calling for evidence.  If there is none, the thread will die naturally I suppose.  But I consider this trolling. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:04:31 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

That's helpful, thanks. TP, brother.  I had no idea that would elicit such a strong response. 

I'll exercise my privilege to spew ideas that aren't grounded in any evidence and detract from the quality of the forum.  Stop by my threads -- lots to come. 

Do you support this notion? I'm just calling for evidence.  If there is none, the thread will die naturally I suppose.  But I consider this trolling.
I don't agree with the OP but there is some level of logic there. He's a liability on defense and unlike Irving he doesn't have the physical profile to take his game up a level in the playoffs.

Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
His value is LOW considering he is an expiring contract, and if you remove IT from this team, this team is a 30-win team at best (probably more like a 25-win team).

Not IT's fault no one else on this team can score consistently like he can.

You can replace IT with Fultz. Won't change a thing. Still lack a true #2 scorer and rebounding.

Also doesn't help that this front court after Horford is WEAK. Gortat and Lopez are looking like versions of Prime Shaq against the Celtics.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 627

I didn't make the claim about IT being the reason we are loosing to the wizards. I think he's amazing and has been the heart and soul of this Celtic season. Inspirational even. However, There are big questions about how to proceed forward with him and it is a legitimate topic. I would be eager to hear people's opinions whether they are backed up with facts and stats or merely opinion.

So, I'm calling you out for thinking the OPs opinion is not up to snuff w your lofty standards of celtics blog. Sorry if the "mud slinging" hurt your feelings, but it got your attention...  what right do you have to censor people expressing their opinions on a public forum? If you don't want to read this thread then don't. But you have no right to censor it and keep the rest of us from exploring and engaging.   Elitist, snobby, whiny and yes possibly even fascist; yup that's my interesting take of rubbish on your need to control this topic because the OP's take wasn't high enough quality.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 08:21:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I didn't make the claim about IT being the reason we are loosing to the wizards. I think he's amazing and has been the heart and soul of this Celtic season. Inspirational even. However, There are big questions about how to proceed forward with him and it is a legitimate topic. I would be eager to hear people's opinions whether they are backed up with facts and stats or merely opinion.

So, I'm calling you out for thinking the OPs opinion is not up to snuff w your lofty standards of celtics blog. Sorry if the "mud slinging" hurt your feelings, but it got your attention...  what right do you have to censor people expressing their opinions on a public forum? If you don't want to read this thread then don't. But you have no right to censor it and keep the rest of us from exploring and engaging.   Elitist, snobby, whiny and yes possibly even fascist; yup that's my interesting take of rubbish on your need to control this topic because the OP's take wasn't high enough quality.

I think my feelings will be okay. For the record, I haven't baited you into breaking forum rules either. 

I've read the countless threads blaming IT for our struggles, labeling him trade-bait, even calling for him to be moved to the bench.  I'm sure I've shared my opinion in a few, too, w/in forum rules.  Like ilikesports commented above, I can also acknowledge that his contract situation will be a tricky one.  But I have a hard time believing any poster that compares IT to Eddie House is not trolling.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I love him - he has made Celtics basketball watchable and entertaining for the past few years.  But we now see his limitations.  Can he be a super Eddie House - oh yes.  Can he succeed with a super front court behind him on defense - maybe.  But the league has now seen the weakness of the Celtics.  Exploit Thomas on defense.

Even if the Celtics get past Washington, Thomas cannot stop Irving. And the new game plan will be post Thomas with the bigger player. Cause havoc on the C's defense.

I love IT, will hate to see him go.  But I have difficulty seeing a path to the championship with IT as the starting PG. 

Scores the 13th highest point total in a playoff game in NBA history, going to make All-NBA team, 3rd in the league in scoring.

Bolded comment is the dumbest thing I have read on this blog in a long time.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Yeah the Eddie House comment is just absurd.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Scores the 13th highest point total in a playoff game in NBA history, going to make All-NBA team, 3rd in the league in scoring.

Bolded comment is the dumbest thing I have read on this blog in a long time.

If that's not trolling, I don't know what is.  There are already a lot of related threads the OP could've chosen from to share his opinion, too.