Poll

Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?

Yes
3 (3.6%)
No
78 (94%)
Maybe So
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?  (Read 15507 times)

Re: Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Lol, you guys need to have your privileges revoked.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
its getting harder and harder for me to vist this forum

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
 Not sure why there is an assumption that I would vote yes on this hypothetical question.

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I voted no of course, but I do think Horford is having a peak season, so technically this would be a sell high point. He's so valuable across the board, he's a winner.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Multitude of factors to consider:

1) Gordon Haywards injury impacts ability to truly compete this year (although I strongly disagree with this notion given the play of our rook)

2) Age

3) Center heavy draft next year with Lakers pick likely conveying.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I swear if there was only a way where you can give negative tommy points this is it...

This is the best time to fire Danny as well.
Perfect oppportunity as well to tank..sit Kyrie with a fake injury...tank...tank...tank

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
It would have to be the right player of course but I'd be comfortable with doing so. As well as he's been playing, he's not untouchable for me.

I don't buy into the idea that the C's would look like an evil franchise for trading away their first big free agent acquisition either. People will get over it. Like does anybody remember how Dwight Howard signed a 3-year deal with his hometown ATL Hawks two offseasons ago and then was literally traded the very next offseason?

Nah me niether.

Edit: I voted maybe so. Come at me.  8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:46:41 AM by CelticD »

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think we should seriously consider trading Stevens for multiple draft picks.

Let's also trade the Celtics logo for a couple of second rounders!

Maybe we can trade GE while we’re at it.
Can't do, we only signed them last year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Not sure why there is an assumption that I would vote yes on this hypothetical question.

It's not your vote. It's that you posted such a dumb question in the first place.

This isn't a video game like NBA2K17. There are real-world negative consequences to trading a prime FA that you lured to the city under false representations. Your post doesn't even offer the possibility of those consequences which leads any reader to believe that you don't know the difference between being a video game GM and the constraints placed on a real one.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Unless the Cs are moving him for a younger more talented big then NO. If for instance AD,KAT or KP become available then the Cs can entertain trading Al. If not im happy to see Al play out this contract and then sign Tim Duncan style with the Cs until he retires.

Though not on their level I can see Al's game aging much like Duncan, KG, and even P Gasol. Smart bigs who can pass, hit shots and play clean team defense into their late 30s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
It would have to be the right player of course but I'd be comfortable with doing so. As well as he's been playing, he's not untouchable for me.

I don't buy into the idea that the C's would look like an evil franchise for trading away their first big free agent acquisition either. People will get over it. Like does anybody remember how Dwight Howard signed a 3-year deal with his hometown ATL Hawks two offseasons ago and then was literally traded the very next offseason?

Nah me niether.

Edit: I voted maybe so. Come at me.  8) 8)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

It's not your vote. It's that you posted such a dumb question in the first place.

This isn't a video game like NBA2K17. There are real-world negative consequences to trading a prime FA that you lured to the city under false representations. Your post doesn't even offer the possibility of those consequences which leads any reader to believe that you don't know the difference between being a video game GM and the constraints placed on a real one.

Granath, it is your opinion it's a dumb question.

Most savvy general managers are thinking 2 to 3 steps ahead of the curve and one could argue that projecting Al's decline with age, the infusion of youth at the center position with next year's deep draft, and Gordon Hayward's injury delaying our true ability to compete a year make for a perfect storm to sell high on Horford.  I'm not one of those people. I think Al has 3 to 4 more years at a very high, fundamentally sound level of competition playing on both sides of the basketball.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Granath, it is your opinion it's a dumb question.

Most savvy general managers are thinking 2 to 3 steps ahead of the curve and one could argue that projecting Al's decline with age, the infusion of youth at the center position with next year's deep draft, and Gordon Hayward's injury delaying our true ability to compete a year make for a perfect storm to sell high on Horford.  I'm not one of those people. I think Al has 3 to 4 more years at a very high, fundamentally sound level of competition playing on both sides of the basketball.

I'm just curious, by "sell high", who do you have in mind? (Who are we trading Horford for?)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I swear half the people on this site are stock brokers.

SMH...