Poll

Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?

Yes
3 (3.6%)
No
78 (94%)
Maybe So
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?  (Read 15693 times)

Re: Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Funny, people consider Melo a loser, yet he's made more all star teams and has taken a team just as far as horford has, while also having a great deal of success at the college level.

How are they different?

And unlike horford Melo has been the undisputed best player in every team he's ever been on.  But Melo cops flak for not carrying his teams deep while horford gets labeled a winner for it.

Carmelo has made the playoffs 10 times and not since 2013. He's lost in the first round 8 of those times.

Big Al has made the playoffs every season he's been in the league and has only lost in the first round 3 times.

Best player Al played with in playoffs was Joe Johnson? Paul Millsap?
Carmelo has taken a few trash teams to the playoffs but he also had Billups, AI and Kidd during his 2 deep playoff runs.

Maybe I'm cherry picking my stats.

And Billups, AI and Kidd were all cooked by the time they played with Melo, while Horford played with multiple all stars while they were in their primes...

Put horford on Melos Knicks teams and let's see if he makes the playoff every year then...

Horford has been the secobd or third best player on every team he's played on, yet has struggled his entire career to get past the second round. 

But anyway I want to clarify that just because I'm saying horford isn't a winner, doesn't mean I'm calling him a loser.  I just think he's a solid guy who gets the job done, simply put.

Coming 5th every year doesn't make you a winner, but it doesn't make you a loser either.

Billups was anything but cooked during his 4 season with Melo beating his career avg in almost every statically category for his career.

AI had a one great and one good season during his time with Carmelo.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:25:35 PM by ChillyWilly »
ok fine

« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Lol

I love the black and white mentality of people here.

Is like somebody has to be either first or last and there's nothing in between.

As soon as you suggest a guy isn't worthy of being labeled a winner, it's immediately assumed you have some vendetta against the guy out you're a hater.

You realise that it IS possible to think a player is good, respect a player, and appreciate a player without showering them with titles they haven't yet earned.

As one said all along, horford is a very good player, but he's done nothing to earn this "winner" reputation, is all.
What are you even talking about???

He literally is a winner. He wins WAY more than he loses, and has made multiple deep playoff runs.

Just because he doesn't fit your obscure definition of what a winner is lol

Yeah, sorry for my "obscure" definition that a winner should be somebody who actually wins lol

By your definition Josh Smith is also a winner, since he's also won way more then he's lost and was on almost all of the same Hawks teams that Horford was on, hence according to you he would be pretty much just as much a winner. Right?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:20:03 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
After trading IT, if we trade Horford while hes hot, this will give agents and players thse perception it ain't safe to sign in Boston.

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lol

I love the black and white mentality of people here.

Is like somebody has to be either first or last and there's nothing in between.

As soon as you suggest a guy isn't worthy of being labeled a winner, it's immediately assumed you have some vendetta against the guy out you're a hater.

You realise that it IS possible to think a player is good, respect a player, and appreciate a player without showering them with titles they haven't yet earned.

As one said all along, horford is a very good player, but he's done nothing to earn this "winner" reputation, is all.
What are you even talking about???

He literally is a winner. He wins WAY more than he loses, and has made multiple deep playoff runs.

Just because he doesn't fit your obscure definition of what a winner is lol

Yeah, sorry for my "obscure" definition that a winner should be somebody who actually wins lol

By your definition Josh Smith is also a winner, since he's also won way more then he's lost and was on almost all of the same Hawks teams that Horford was on, hence according to you he would be pretty much just as much a winner. Right?
LOL  ::)
I literally have no clue what you're trying to say. Al Horford isn't a winner because he isn't someone "who actually wins", yet he wins a vast majority of the time and leads his teams to deep playoff runs. You can't have it both ways.

And yeah, when Josh Smith was a borderline DPOY candidate multiple years in a row on a winning team, he was a winner. When he started shooting sub 40% from the field and sub 50% from the line he wasn't.

I have no idea what you're trying to say lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
My first reaction to seeing the thread title was "I swear to god if this is KGLL again.."

You mean its not him? I just assumed. LOL.

« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
All Al does is win win win no matter what. Everybody's hands go UP !!!

Al is a WINNER no matter what anyone says.

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
No, Al is the perfect big for brads offense. is it any coincidence that we went from first round fodder to the ECF in one year and IT4 had his best season statistically? alot had to with AL

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
What's next...polls about trading Kyrie, Tatum and Brown?

I actually would trade any of these guys. Jaylen, a good role player, and a good 1st round pick for a top 10 player? All day.

I would trade any player on this team for a better player. That being said, Al is a good player to keep. He's a super glue 2 way player. Understated and less athletic, but effective and dedicated to defense. He's the kind of player that fans should root for. I think he will be effective through his contract, then we prob move on.

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Technically; yes, selling now would be smart. He's an valued player, regardless of whatever criticisms you can throw on top of him. Listen, he's an consummate teammate. He's going to be the silent, but hard working glue guy on offense, and particularly defense, that's in due part to his high and intelligent basketball IQ.

You're seeing the trend where big men that cannot be two way players, or cannot space the floor, and post moves big are pretty much the dinosaurs of the NBA. Here and there, you'll get excellent players that can score down low, but a common result of that has led to big men having to stretch the floor, and become more perimeter-oriented.

Horford can set excellent ball screens, and use his savvy post moves to free himself up, and create for others; an extremely underrated aspect of his game.

He's content with setting up the offense, and occasionally scoring in bunches, and as you can see a few games ago, absolute bollocks sometimes.

Like Draymond Green, Horford's number doesn't jump out the gate, but he's become impressive in how he has adapted, and fit himself ideally in Steven's offense. There is just no selfishness on this team, and Horford is due in part of some credit for that. The Spurs would kill to have someone like Horford, just don't say anything if we lose Horford, and he just goes off for 25/10/10 on us.  :angel:
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Just curious, but how have guys like Embiid, Giannis, Porzingis and Aldridge (red hot coming into this game) looked when they played against the C's?

Some have had great games but not as spectacular as in other games.

Big reason for that? AL HORFORD and his defense.

Porzingis has scored like 30+ every game this season EXCEPT vs. Boston.. where he only scored like 12 points. Aldridge today only had 11 points.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2017, 01:17:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Disagree with the premise that the only way you can be a winner is to win a championship. Was Big Baby a winner? Is Tony Allen? Was Gary Payton only a winner because he came off the bench with Miami?

Consistently winning in the regular season and playoffs after winning a national championship in college and leading all those teams, is being a winner in my mind.

I just don't subscribe to the definition of a winner only being a champion.

Well said.

TP

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2017, 02:51:00 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Just curious, but how have guys like Embiid, Giannis, Porzingis and Aldridge (red hot coming into this game) looked when they played against the C's?

Some have had great games but not as spectacular as in other games.

Big reason for that? AL HORFORD and his defense.

Porzingis has scored like 30+ every game this season EXCEPT vs. Boston.. where he only scored like 12 points. Aldridge today only had 11 points.
Aldridge looked pretty darn good and for a stretch tho.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If we were looking to trade him now is the right time, however he is a key person on our team and there is no reason to trade him.

« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Back to the OP's idea, I also think the C's should look to sell high, which is why I think they should trade Jayson Tatum. He's young with an attractive contract and he's played well. We can definitely get a future asset for him.

And on the subject of future assets, the Lakers/Kings pick is looking pretty valuable, we should sell high on that as well and get an asset that will convey even farther in the future.

This is NBA basketball, any time you have anything good, it should immediately be traded away.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Without Gordon Hayward, we will be in the hunt for the #1 seed in the east.

Plus, Gordon Hayward could be back toward the end of the season.

This is a Sixers' move, a losing move by a losing organization to proliferate a losing environment.