Author Topic: EPL 2010 - 2011  (Read 32418 times)

EPL 2010 - 2011
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I did not see a new season thread, so I'll start one.  I'm really looking forward to the year, and here are my predictions. 

1st: Arsenal
2nd: Chelsea
3rd: Man-U
4th: Liverpool

Tottenham misses Champions League after making it for the first time this past year.  Man City flames out.  They don't know how to win yet.  Suprise of the season, Fulham.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: EPL 2010 - 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Not sold on Mancini, otherwise I'd consider Man City a major threat for the title. It's a shame they didn't keep Mark Hughes. I think Hughes could have brought them the title this year.

Still pondering the other teams ... but leaning towards Man Utd as the title favourite.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I'm following this for the first time this year. Going to support Liverpool. Pretty excited for this weekend.

I don't really watch college football and baseball is not bearable anymore. More and more EPL coverage is being shown over here in the States now.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
btw, i reserve the right to change my prediction if chelsea can land another player or two in the transfer window, specifically neymar.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
btw, i reserve the right to change my prediction if chelsea can land another player or two in the transfer window, specifically neymar.

Kid looked really good the other night vs USA. Looks like he has quite the substantial release fee from Santos.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Hobbsy, celticmaestro, MattG12 and I all have MUFC as 2011 Champions  ;D

I'm following this for the first time this year. Going to support Liverpool. Pretty excited for this weekend.

They just signed Dane Christian Poulsen. Good for both them and him. He's a tough player and should fit just perfectly in the EPL.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I am completely stoked about the start of the season.  Last year was an absolute dream from the perspective of a life long Spurs fan.  And while I understand that Spurs will have a very difficult time maintaining that top 4 position, I will relish them competing in the Champions League for the first time.

It looks like the upcoming season has the potential to be one of the most competitive at the top of the table (the top 4).  Ultimately, I see the top 4 finishing with Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool.  Having said that, it will be fun to watch the likes of Spurs, Man City, and Everton slugging it out for the 5-7th place.  Man City will be interesting to watch considering their spending spree this summer, and with that the increased expectations from fans and pundits.  As of now, I am just not sold on them but we will see.

It is a shame about Aston Villa.  They have finished in 6th for the past couple of years and you would have put them in the hunt for a similar finish this year.  But with recent events it looks like they will be in for a tough year.

COYS!

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
My bet would be Chelsea, United, Arsenal and City.

boscel33, why Arsenal? What changed from last year? They only added Chamakh and Koscielny and while good players, they won't change the balance. Their biggest accomplishment is that Cesc won't be moving to Barca, at least not this year.

Since I don't have a favorite English team, my usual motto is -  anyone but United :) I do want West Ham to do well though.

The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
boscel33, why Arsenal? What changed from last year? They only added Chamakh and Koscielny and while good players, they won't change the balance. Their biggest accomplishment is that Cesc won't be moving to Barca, at least not this year.

Arsenal need a top defensive midfielder to add some steel to their side before they're ready to seriously contend for the league title.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

Arsenal need a top defensive midfielder to add some steel to their side before they're ready to seriously contend for the league title.
They lack many more things:

- experience - Arsenal biggest teams had a good mixture of experience and youth. They don't have it in the last couple of years and it's visible in teams accomplishments.

- Keeper - Almunia is mediocre. A top team needs a better keeper.

- A better top striker - Van Persie is made of glass. Arsenal needs a better top strike to rely on.

In a year or two when City will add all pieces together, (just like it took to Chelsea when Abramovic came) Arsenal will be fighting with Liverpool for the fourth spot. City have too much money and it's just a matter of time. Also Cesc will be gone next summer and that's will be a big setback.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

- experience - Arsenal biggest teams had a good mixture of experience and youth. They don't have it in the last couple of years and it's visible in teams accomplishments.

- A better top striker - Van Persie is made of glass. Arsenal needs a better top strike to rely on.

In a year or two when City will add all pieces together, (just like it took to Chelsea when Abramovic came) Arsenal will be fighting with Liverpool for the fourth spot. City have too much money and it's just a matter of time. Also Cesc will be gone next summer and that's will be a big setback.

I wouldn't be that concerned about the rest of those issues.

They'll hold them back in Europe but I think Arsenal would have enough to take the league (with a top defensive midfielder added to the side). No team is particularly strong at the moment in England. I think Arsenal could win with those flaws.

------------------------------------

I think the squad has enough experience at this point. Fabregas, Van Persie, Rosicky, Arshavin all bring good experience to the side. A top defensive midfielder adds some more. Their CBs have decent experience and Almunia is experienced.

On the goals front, Arsenal scored 80+ goals last year. They create a lot of chances and get a good amount of goals from midfield. Not concerned about their need for a top front man. They can get enough creative play from quick creative wide players like Arshavin and Walcott + a top playmaker like Fabregas to make up for their strikers.

The keeper is an issue but with a top defensive midfielder I think Arsenal can cut off a lot of those areas where they've conceded goals + goal-scoring chances + failed to regain possession over the past few seasons. Give the side greater balance on the pitch. I reckon they can live with Almunia.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:24:13 PM by Who »

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes

I wouldn't be that concerned about the rest of those issues.

They'll hold them back in Europe but I think Arsenal would have enough to take the league (with a top defensive midfielder added to the side). No team is particularly strong at the moment in England. I think Arsenal could win with those flaws.
I don't see how even with a top defensive midfielder they can overtake Chelsea or United, who are still considerably stronger.
The Immortals:

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
I think the squad has enough experience at this point. Fabregas, Van Persie, Rosicky, Arshavin all bring good experience to the side. A top defensive midfielder adds some more. Their CBs have decent experience and Almunia is experienced.

On the goals front, Arsenal scored 80+ goals last year. They create a lot of chances and get a good amount of goals from midfield. Not concerned about their need for a top front man. They can get enough creative play from quick creative wide players like Arshavin and Walcott + a top playmaker like Fabregas to make up for their strikers.

The keeper is an issue but with a top defensive midfielder I think Arsenal can cut off a lot of those areas where they've conceded goals + goal-scoring chances + failed to regain possession over the past few seasons. Give the side greater balance on the pitch. I reckon they can live with Almunia.
Van Persie and Rosicky are both very injury prone. And I wouldn't expect the same season from Fabregas as last year as I'n not sure how motivated he is after Arsenal twisted his arm this summer.

The CB's are not anywhere near the level of Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand...  Vermaelen is o.k but nothing special, Gallas is gone and Koscielny is decent but not a top player by any count. That's (+ keeper) why United conceded only 28 while Arsenal 41.

And the luck of top striker was very visible when Van Persie was out last season. Arshavin ans Cesc created plenty but you still need a finisher of Drogba, Torres, Rooney quality or at least something similar. While Arsenal scored 80+, Chelsea scored 100+ .
The Immortals:

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Van Persie and Rosicky are both very injury prone. And I wouldn't expect the same season from Fabregas as last year as I'n not sure how motivated he is after Arsenal twisted his arm this summer.

The CB's are not anywhere near the level of Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand...  Vermaelen is o.k but nothing special, Gallas is gone and Koscielny is decent but not a top player by any count. That's (+ keeper) why United conceded only 28 while Arsenal 41.

And the luck of top striker was very visible when Van Persie was out last season. Arshavin ans Cesc created plenty but you still need a finisher of Drogba, Torres, Rooney quality or at least something similar. While Arsenal scored 80+, Chelsea scored 100+ .

Goals scored -- Chelsea were the first team ever in the Premiership to score 100 goals in the season. The number of goals scored by the Champion in the previous eight years are 68, 80, 83, 72, 72, 73, 74 and 79. Arsenal score enough goals to win the title. Both Van Persie and Rosicky played only 14 games apiece last season and even with those two players injured for the vast majority of last season Arsenal still had a hugely effective and prolific attack.

Fabregas -- I wouldn't be concerned about Fabregas. He is not the type of player to give sub-par effort. He has a huge amount of respect and affection for Arsenal FC and his manager Arsene Wenger. Fabregas isn't the type to create problems and he isn't the type to give less than his full effort in training and/or out on the pitch. He'll be Arsenal's leader again next season.

Goals Conceded -- A huge portion of the goals Arsenal have conceded over the past couple of years have been due to the lack of an adequate defensive midfielder.

If you go back over and watch all of their goals that they've conceded you'll see a large number of goals which could have been stopped by a top class defensive midfielder long before there was ever a shot attempt made on goal. Possessions where Arsenal's central midfielders weren't aggressive enough in the tackle to win back possession + a large number of possessions where the defensive midfielder was out of position (particularly for covering wing backs on forward runs) and unable to offer sufficient help as a result.

I reckon a top class defensive midfielder would cut Arsenal's conceded goals figure by 25%. That would put Arsenal right around 30 goals conceded for the year. Not a great number by any means ... but it is a number that gives them a legitimate shot at the title.

----------------------------------------

In summary, I think that one position, defensive midfielder, filling that position with a top class player would give Arsenal a huge boost. It would balance their side and give their backline the protection it needs to have in order compete for a title. 

Anyway, it's not going to happen. Wenger has shown no inclination for the third straight summer to fix this glaring hole on his squad (since Flamini left).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:41:52 AM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54
CHELSEA! CHELSEA!