Author Topic: 2010 FIFA World Cup  (Read 178642 times)

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Pirlo is also injured but he will travel to S.Africa although he will miss at least 3 games.

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Arjen Robben was hurt yesterday as well.  Crazy amount of injuries this year.  Too bad, I really thought the Netherlands had a chance to go deep into the cup.
do it

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
If somebody want a very well designed tracking chart (made in excel) where you can write scores and see details, like who's is likely to meet who from each group, is welcome to download this:

http://www.2shared.com/document/zRtimWed/South_Africa__2010.html
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Marca the spanish newspaper has a great calandar on the website

http://www.marca.com/deporte/futbol/mundial/sudafrica-2010/calendario-english.html

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2010, 10:50:13 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Another good player won't be playing in the WC. Nani injured his shoulder.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2010, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Another player from the premiership .... Can`t be coincidence

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure it can.

How many good notable soccer players are there in the WC? Two hundred would seem to me to be a high estimate. That's pretty small sample to draw a conclusion from. Especially when injuries are common in your sport.

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Sure it can.

How many good notable soccer players are there in the WC? Two hundred would seem to me to be a high estimate. That's pretty small sample to draw a conclusion from. Especially when injuries are common in your sport.

It's not a coincidence.

There's no other league that plays 38 games. The problem with the EPL is that it has too many teams, too many games and no winter break. Serie A, La Liga, Die Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Eredivisie (I could go on) have all considered this and taken appropriate measures.

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure it can.

It's not a coincidence.

There's no other league that plays 38 games. The problem with the EPL is that it has too many teams, too many games and no winter break. Serie A, La Liga, Die Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Eredivisie (I could go on) have all considered this and taken appropriate measures.
What you say makes logical sense, but how many injuries have there been this year total?

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Sure it can.

It's not a coincidence.

What you say makes logical sense, but how many injuries have there been this year total?

Premiership injuries, off the top of my head:

Ballack
Essien
Mikel
Drogba
Bosingwa
Nani
Ferdinand
Hargreaves
Brown

With the exception of Brown, they're all key players for their countries. Also, they're just Chelsea and Man Utd players, there are other players from other clubs in England that are missing. That's a pretty large proportion of would-be World Cup players that are injured playing in the EPL.

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Sure it can.

It's not a coincidence.

La Liga also has 20 teams... maybe the difference is the Carling Cup, and maybe the EPL is more demanding on the physical department. But La Liga won't cut the number of teams to 18 unless something big happens.

It might also be that their coaches are trying to squeeze them too hard after a whole soccer season.

Anyway, the WC will be fine, and some african team might be in the semis.

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Sure it can.

It's not a coincidence.

La Liga also has 20 teams... maybe the difference is the Carling Cup, and maybe the EPL is more demanding on the physical department. But La Liga won't cut the number of teams to 18 unless something big happens.

It might also be that their coaches are trying to squeeze them too hard after a whole soccer season.

Anyway, the WC will be fine, and some african team might be in the semis.

Silly mistake by me. La Liga also has 38 games, but has a winter break (albeit short). And like you said,  no extra games like the stupid Carling Cup.

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I `m not sure about this season but almost every year top teams are forced to play every other day during the 3-4 weeks of the season. And this after an long 8-9 months season with two games per week.

There only so much a body can take , even the super fit pl players.

Injuries are common ,sure Besides before every major tournament thee were problems with injureis. But this time it makes a bigger impression cause victims are the best players of their NTs.
Drogba , Essien , Ballack (not the best but he was consiered as the leader of the team). Tores will miss a few games too

Moras is injured too but who cares !!! :D :D

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Important players usually don't play in Carling Cup till the finals.

I think it's not about major leagues but more about major clubs from those leagues. Players from teams like United, Milan, Chelsea, Barca... also play in Champions league and qualification tournament for national teams, so most weeks they have to play two times. When you do that season after season it wears you out.
The Immortals:

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Important players usually don't play in Carling Cup till the finals.

I think it's not about major leagues but more about major clubs from those leagues. Players from teams like United, Milan, Chelsea, Barca... also play in Champions league and qualification tournament for national teams, so most weeks they have to play two times. When you do that season after season it wears you out.

This year, Chelsea and United played their stars in most rounds of the Carling Cup. I still think a winter break is necessary in the EPL. Managers and players alike share this view. The only people that don't are the clowns in the office of the FA.