Author Topic: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?  (Read 12229 times)

Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »

Online No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
How big of a contract could Danny offer Smart now without going over the salary cap next year?

Or is it smarter (haha) to see how he plays this year and let the market set Smart's rate and just suck it up and go over the cap if necessary?

Re: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Play the season - see how he does and if he's improved - see what others are willing to pay - then decide if we want to match

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There have been similar threads as of late, but you only do an extension if it is for a guaranteed bargain - like $40M/4yrs.

Next year there won't be nearly as much money in the FA market. There are also a number of marquee free agents who will be taking up most of that money...even non-marquee ones like AB. The new NBA salary spike really only benefits the REALLY good players as most of the salary cap will be taken up by them.

I would love to keep Marcus, but no reason to throw him a crazy contract extension offer now. Remember, we still have his RFA rights and Danny is more equipped now to match than before when we also had IT and AB as FAs to sign.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I mean, look at Noel
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pretty sure they'll let market dictate unless they can get a long term home town discount.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:36:18 PM by footey »

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Neither camps want an extension.

Both want to gamble.  As both should in this scenario.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We got rid of it and ab. We Could make a competitive offer

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
What contract would Smart want?

What's the highest Ainge would give him?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Neither camps want an extension.

Both want to gamble.  As both should in this scenario.

More of a gamble for the player in most cases. Injury risk being highest. The contract year could possibly always be the last.  Barring that, he at least needs to draw a QO.

For the team, market conditions rule. Smart isn't in the tier that will draw most of the FA money. For him, it's MLE for most playoff teams, or higher per year for the losers that lose again on better FA's. In RFA, if I'm the team, unless it's for a star or key player, I don't offer much before letting the player go right ahead and test the market.  Matching rights are overwhelmingly powerful. If a team makes a crazy offer, let them. Just let a rival screw their cap.

Market for Marcus will be modest, and nearly nil without a steady 3. Who else targets him?

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »

Online No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
There have been similar threads as of late, but you only do an extension if it is for a guaranteed bargain - like $40M/4yrs.

Next year there won't be nearly as much money in the FA market. There are also a number of marquee free agents who will be taking up most of that money...even non-marquee ones like AB. The new NBA salary spike really only benefits the REALLY good players as most of the salary cap will be taken up by them.

I would love to keep Marcus, but no reason to throw him a crazy contract extension offer now. Remember, we still have his RFA rights and Danny is more equipped now to match than before when we also had IT and AB as FAs to sign.

So should Danny offer the 4yr/$40M now and maybe Smart takes it?  Or 4yr/$48M? 

What are the pros/cons on the salary cap of offering now vs end of season?  I'm guessing none since the extension would kick in at the same time regardless?

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What are the pros/cons on the salary cap of offering now vs end of season?  I'm guessing none since the extension would kick in at the same time regardless?

Well, the pro of Smart accepting an extension now for the Cs would be locking him in at an affordable rate and having him possibly make a 'jump' this season. For Marcus, it would be guaranteed money; if something happens in terms of injury or he shows no improvement in his shooting, then it locks him in at a solid rate without the pressures of contract negotiation.

The cons would be the opposite happening for both respective sides.

I tried to avoid the $48M/4 yrs number because that is a tough one. I think, ultimately, if Smart's agent came to Danny and said, 'that is  final offer or we are waiting until the offseason,' Ainge would seriously have to consider it. With the new salary cap, it isn't that astronomical of a figure that he would become untradable. For what Marcus is currently providing (incredible defense, leadership, and playmaking), it's not like he would be that overpaid. He already played over 30mpg for the #1 seed in EC last year. That has to count for something.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He is a restricted free agent. There's zero reason for the Celtics to do anything with him but let the market set his value. Also, I think the Celtics would need to have the cap space this year to extend him and our cap space is gone. I could be wrong about that but maybe someone with more cap knowledge can comfirm

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »

Online No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum

Well, the pro of Smart accepting an extension now for the Cs would be locking him in at an affordable rate and having him possibly make a 'jump' this season. For Marcus, it would be guaranteed money; if something happens in terms of injury or he shows no improvement in his shooting, then it locks him in at a solid rate without the pressures of contract negotiation.

The cons would be the opposite happening for both respective sides.

I tried to avoid the $48M/4 yrs number because that is a tough one. I think, ultimately, if Smart's agent came to Danny and said, 'that is  final offer or we are waiting until the offseason,' Ainge would seriously have to consider it. With the new salary cap, it isn't that astronomical of a figure that he would become untradable. For what Marcus is currently providing (incredible defense, leadership, and playmaking), it's not like he would be that overpaid. He already played over 30mpg for the #1 seed in EC last year. That has to count for something.

Reggie Jackson signed a way-too-rich 5yr/$80M deal two years ago. While different players in terms of skills we'd probably prefer Smart's skills over Jackson's.

Jackson averages $16M/yr but is more like a $10M/yr player. If Smart agreed to $12M/yr I would lock him up. But again I don't know how that impacts the cap this year or maybe not at all.  Or how it impacts the cap next year with that increase in salary.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I would lock him up now for multiple years if possible, not sure if it is. It's hard to put a price on the bulldog, agressive defense, rebounding, and intangibles Smart brings yo the team. 4 years and 48 mil sounds good to me but not sure Smart would go for that. This team already lost some nice defensive players so it's important to retain Smart. I'd like yo see his minutes increase this year.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
4 years 48 million is a bargain for the Celtics and a lot of security for Smart if he can get some or all guaranteed. It's a win win in no uncertain terms.

Letting the market set his value can mean he is gone. He can't be replaced that easily IMO.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku