Author Topic: My dream scenario offseason: building by contending  (Read 7872 times)

My dream scenario offseason: building by contending
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
After reading the "Shudda traded Ray" thread, I was going to post a reply, but I decided to start a new topic. Not trading Ray is what has kept the Celtics in contender conversation, and is what could make the Celtics get free agents. If they turn into rebuilding and youth movement, they will loose the better chances. They need to keep contending, and start to build future salary flexibility to be able to trade for Big Agents willing to play for the Green Family.

My dream scenario for 2010 offseason would be

The Celtics trade Sheed and Dancin' Bear to GS for Gadzuric and Anthony Randolph, sending $ to GS to buyout Sheed. That solves the backup center issue until All Star Break. Gadzuric can be traded at the deadline as he'll be an expiring. Randolph could be the running mate for Rondo. Imagine Randolph & Rondo?

Resign Ray for 2 years at 10 and 9 millions, so he expires as KG.(summer of 2012)

Restructure Pierce's deal to 4 years 50 millions, starting at 14 and going 13, 12 and 11, that last year a team option.

Resign TA and Nate for 2 years at reasonable money (7-8 millions each) both with team option for the 2nd year.

Then, the MLE. Forget Tyrus Thomas and Mike Miller, they'll get the full MLE or something bigger when the top tier free agents are out of the table. Split the MLE between Shaq and TMac (Shaq 7 millions in 2 years, 2nd a team option - TMac 5 millions in 2 years, 2nd a team option). Bring on the veterans with chips on their shoulders!

So, you've got a rotation like this:

Shaq/Gadzuric/(Perk injured)
KG/Randolph/
Pierce/TMac/TA
RA/TA/Bradley
Rondo/Nate/Bradley

Keep Harangody, Parakhouski, Wittman as the non-rotation/DL guys.

At the trade deadline, when Perk is expected to be at full strenght, imagine Yao is injured again, and the Rockets need some height... then you could trade Gadzuric for Shane Battier to backup Pierce, promoting Parakhouski to 5th big.

Then, you will have:

Perk/Shaq/Parakhouski
KG/Randolph/Harangody
Pierce/Battier/Wittman
Ray/TMac/TA
Rondo/Nate/Bradley

The total money for this roster will be (look at the attached image)

82 million + luxury tax = around 96 million for 2010/2011 (the luxury tax limit may be around 68 mil)
73 million + luxury tax (with 18,5 million in team options AND before resigning Perkins and Battier) for 2011/2012
29 million committed in summer of 2012 (it could be 35-plus after resigning Perk)

So the Celtics would have flexibility in 2011 to resign Perk, and still have options to be in the mix for Free Agents in 2012. Who will be a free agent? Melo, Kaman, Nene, Ilyasova, David West, Pietrus, Barbosa, Dragic, Okur and Blatche will be unrestricted (Nash, Vince Carter, Kidd and Tim Duncan also, but they'd be available for the vet min) and Javale McGee, George Hill, Jason Thompson, Batum, the Lopez twins, Gallinari, OJ Mayo, JJ Hickson, Beasley and Kevin Love will be restricted.

By then, the Celtics would have Rondo as big star, with Pierce as an aging star and Perk and Randolph as great starters (Randolph could be even better) and would need some wings. Hopefully they'd developed Bradley as a 6th man/trade asset. They could resign Ray and KG for the vet min, and keep on improving through trades/developing young kids.

I know this is not likely to happen (it's a dream scenario), but if the owners are willing to spend they will be able to make the team relevant, and sign free agents. The key is flexibility.

Being so close to #18 can be huge if the Celtics play they cards. What do you think?  I think we'd be celebrating #18 and #19, no doubt.

Re: My dream scenario offseason: building by contending
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
No T-Mac. If Warriors are selling the franchise, Wouldn't they package Turiaf with Anthony Randolph for Sheed? That way they get rid of his salary in 2011/2012. S&T Nate to Washington for Mike Miller. Earl Boykins did well last season for them, Nate can be Earl on steroids. And use some of the MLE to sign Shaq.

Rondo/Bradley
Ray/TA
Pierce/Miller
KG/Randolph/Turiaf
Shaq/Baby/Turiaf

Allows Perk not to rush his return.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I think this is a great idea, even better if its Biedrins over Randolph....proven rebounder and shot blocker, and finishes at the rim. I if theyre selling the team for sure, they will want out from his contract which is what, around 9-10 mil? Can't we send them Sheed's contract, Scal, and a couple future picks....if they ask for TA, i guess it has to happen as well.
    But the more important thing to me is Shaq/T-mac......only problem is that it hinges on two injury-prone guys who will try to take over at some very likely inopportune, key moments. But i agree, that it is the one of only ways, financially as well (assuming they are willing to play for a title over money), for a year. Shaq clearly wants to go out with one more ring, thus the joining with LeBron, and Tmac, if his body and spirit are able, is the exact kind of offensive weapon we need off the bench. Sure he will lose games for us, but he will win more if he's playing within his abilities off the bench.  He has to be wanting to get a big contract again, so what do we have to lose?

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
I really like this idea. TP.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Hmm..the more I read this, the more I am liking the idea. Not only do we get to keep our core, but we also end up getting a solid backup for everyone, which will help in not gassing the starters out.

Tp for the great idea.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I like the breakdowns. Tp for the effort and analysis. As much as I think Tmac and Shaq are done as starters in this league if they accepted a reduced role it could work.

BTW, 2012 FA class, you forgot the most important one: Dwight Howard   ;)

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
I like the breakdowns. Tp for the effort and analysis. As much as I think Tmac and Shaq are done as starters in this league if they accepted a reduced role it could work.

ups, he could opt out, it's true. TP.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
No T-Mac. If Warriors are selling the franchise, Wouldn't they package Turiaf with Anthony Randolph for Sheed? That way they get rid of his salary in 2011/2012. S&T Nate to Washington for Mike Miller. Earl Boykins did well last season for them, Nate can be Earl on steroids. And use some of the MLE to sign Shaq.

Rondo/Bradley
Ray/TA
Pierce/Miller
KG/Randolph/Turiaf
Shaq/Baby/Turiaf

TP, Mike Miller over TMac... that would be even better. For the bigs, I'd rather have flexibility in the summer of 2011, so I'd prefer Gadzuric expiring than Turiaf. They need that money to resign Perk and get to 2012 with room for a big FA

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Thanks, I've been keeping track of Dwight since he came out. He'd look great in Green.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
I think this is a great idea, even better if its Biedrins over Randolph....proven rebounder and shot blocker, and finishes at the rim. I if theyre selling the team for sure, they will want out from his contract which is what, around 9-10 mil? Can't we send them Sheed's contract, Scal, and a couple future picks....if they ask for TA, i guess it has to happen as well.
    But the more important thing to me is Shaq/T-mac......only problem is that it hinges on two injury-prone guys who will try to take over at some very likely inopportune, key moments. But i agree, that it is the one of only ways, financially as well (assuming they are willing to play for a title over money), for a year. Shaq clearly wants to go out with one more ring, thus the joining with LeBron, and Tmac, if his body and spirit are able, is the exact kind of offensive weapon we need off the bench. Sure he will lose games for us, but he will win more if he's playing within his abilities off the bench.  He has to be wanting to get a big contract again, so what do we have to lose?

As much as I like Biedrins, he'll eat cap space for years to come, and at his contract he is not a great trade asset. The Celtics need flexibility, that's the key. If they could build a young core while the Big 3 are on their way to HOF, they need to avoid that big long contracts (a la Raef Lafrentz).

I agree with Shaq and TMac issues, but they can be worth it if the Celtics keep an option for 2nd year.  TP

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
While we can quibble about details, likely it's going to come down to who doesn't get paid this summer and who will take the MLE and below. 

Also, I think the only real way to get value for Ray at this point is by bringing him back.  A S&T really isn't likely.  Any team with cap room will just sign him and if he's asking for too much, we're not going to want to take back that much salary to deal him. 

I don't like this Pierce extension crap.  There's not a basketball advantage this year to lowering his cap number: we're over the cap either way.  I also don't want to get screwed out of a run at a Dwight Howard or the like because Pierce is making 10-15 million 3 or 4 years from now. 

Let him play next year and then see where we are.  If they all stay healthy and win #18, we can talk.  But if we suck and get knocked out in the first round, the C's may not want him here and Paul may not want to be here. 

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Rondo/Bradley
Ray/TA
Pierce/Miller
KG/Randolph/Turiaf
Shaq/Baby/Turiaf

TP, Mike Miller over TMac... that would be even better. For the bigs, I'd rather have flexibility in the summer of 2011, so I'd prefer Gadzuric expiring than Turiaf. They need that money to resign Perk and get to 2012 with room for a big FA

TP for the original post. I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. I just like Turiaf's game alot. He can help the Celtics in the short term. Its a player option for Turiaf. He may not pick it up ($4mil). He's regarded higher around the league than the bump Gadzuric.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP for the thoughtfulness that went into this.

I agree with a few of your points, especially the idea that if the team is a winner, it will attract FAs.  At least, it will make retaining the current talent easier (imagine how hard it would be to retain Ray or PP this offseason if the Cs had missed the playoffs).

I also disagree with a few points, especially the idea that we should pay Nate or TA $4M a year (I would think/hope $2.5M would get it done).

Also,
If Warriors are selling the franchise, Wouldn't they package Turiaf with Anthony Randolph for Sheed?
Yes, I think this is correct, but GSW would prefer to trade Brandan Wright.  But do we really want Turiaf and his contract?  The key is getting a Center who can start while Perk is out, and then won't mind being on the bench once Perk returns.  Turiaf might satisfy this need, but I guess the bigger question would be how DA projects Randolph's development.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

BTW, 2012 FA class, you forgot the most important one: Dwight Howard
   ;)

After D-wade if there was one other player that I have wanted to see in green, it's DH12; and hopefully in 2012 we'll have the cap space to actually make a run for him.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Thanks, I've been keeping track of Dwight since he came out. He'd look great in Green.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little
When you love life, life loves you right back