Author Topic: Shudda Traded Ray  (Read 6513 times)

Re: Shudda Traded Ray
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:57 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I was thinking about that very thing today. We could've had Haywood, Butler, and Stevenson for Allen. Instead they were traded for Josh Howard, Gooden (who was cut), Singleton, and Ross. Not to mention that Dallas also received cash in addition to those players.

It would've been great for us. We would've had Butler and Stevenson (not that he's anything special but does play solid D) and both their contracts would both be expiring next summer. We then would have a ridiculous amount of expiring contracts to make a mid-season key acquisition. Perk, Stevenson, Davis, Butler, and Sheed's retiring deal would give us nearly 30M to make a splash at the trade deadline.

I forgot about that Butler, Haywood, Stevenson group. That would have been nice to help with this title window.

However I think Howard was a better option for Washington to pick up. He could still play a part in their future. Ray would have split immediately.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If only a good trade was available at the time.

Pretty much.

I can't prove a good trade was available any more than either of you can prove that there WASN'T one available.  All I can do is speculate, much like everyone else in here.

But I have no doubt that there was something out there for two reasons... 1, people have postioned themselves for 3 years for this summer, and they have done so with decisions based exclusively on financial reasons.  Teams continue to make irrational basketball talent decisions up and into the draft.  The options were there, and there are countless examples.

and reason two, fear.  Danny was scared IMO and I don't blame him one bit.  His team could have sent into an emotional and spiritual crisis if he took away Ray and broke up the big three when they were two months away from having their first and only chance to defend their title. 

thats a pretty respectable reason not to do it. 

But to say that options weren't available to me is just irrational seeing as history has proven and continues to prove that teams are more than willing to hand over talent to achieve nothing more than a shot at clearing cap to land a stud.

Ainge has never been afraid to pull the trigger.

If he didn't see a trade he thought was good, there probably wasn't a good trade. (I tend to think he has a good read on these things)

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The best trade I heard with Chicago had Loul Deng and Hinrich coming here.  I doubt that was actually ever on the table, if it was I wont lie, I wouldve jumped on it at the time.  The Haywood/Butler deal sounded enticing too, but we'll never know how they wouldve worked out.

In the end, the ride to the finals this year was amazing, I wouldnt trade it for cap flexbility  for two max players this summer.

Teams make these awesome trades and signings every offseason and trading deadline and most of the fans of these teams have never seen their team go to a game 7 of the NBA Finals, not to mention evening winning the NBA Finals.

I wouldnt change a thing
Greg

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
And get who an overpaid, overrated player. That would've limited Celtics option even more. Celtics did the right thing by keeping him. The bench was the problem for the majority of the playoffs. For this last push, Ainge has to fix this bench once and for all & get consistent player.
TP...wisest post ive read since the playoffs...i agree that if Danny had built a better bench,it could have possibly been the difference they needed to put them over the top.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:54:04 PM by housecall »

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
And get who an overpaid, overrated player. That would've limited Celtics option even more. Celtics did the right thing by keeping him. The bench was the problem for the majority of the playoffs. For this last push, Ainge has to fix this bench once and for all & get consistent player.
TP...wisest post ive read since the playoffs...i agree that if Danny had built a better bench,it could have possibly been the difference they needed to put them over the top.

Ainge has a golden oppty to do that this summer if management will let him use both the MLE and trade Sheed's contract.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:33:16 PM by Jsaad »

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Considering we were a Kendrick Perkins injury away from winning 18, I don't think we can regret not trading Ray. 

Also, re-signing him will once again mean that he'll have an expiring contract in a couple of years. 

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I was thinking about that very thing today. We could've had Haywood, Butler, and Stevenson for Allen. Instead they were traded for Josh Howard, Gooden (who was cut), Singleton, and Ross. Not to mention that Dallas also received cash in addition to those players.

It would've been great for us. We would've had Butler and Stevenson (not that he's anything special but does play solid D) and both their contracts would both be expiring next summer. We then would have a ridiculous amount of expiring contracts to make a mid-season key acquisition. Perk, Stevenson, Davis, Butler, and Sheed's retiring deal would give us nearly 30M to make a splash at the trade deadline.

Did anybody REALLY watch Caron Butler with the Mavericks? He's closer to washed up than Pierce or Allen is. That would've been a terrible trade.

I do wonder a lot about whether the Hinrich-Salmons-Thomas trade could have worked out and still helped us to the Finals. Salmons did play extremely well from the time he was traded to Milwaukee. Shrek and Donkey likely wouldn't have emerged, as Hinrich would've had all of Robinson's minutes. Thomas? I've just never liked or trusted Thomas. But it would be nice to have a frontcourt player who plays above the rim.

Whatever. This spring was a fantastic run. I have no regrets.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Actually I believe the bench was fine and that if Perk didn't get hurt 18 would have been ours. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 12:16:47 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
So you would rather give up, up 13 in game 7 of the nba finals with a chance to win, than to have a team that's too old to play for a couple years?

Some times have never gone to the finals. EVER. If you have a chance to make a run for it you do it. You mortgage your future to do what you can today. Just like you took a mortgage on your house, so you can live there today. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to buy a house, and otherwise, the C's wouldnt have gone to the finals. Sometimes boneheaded things in life liking going 500k in debt make sense.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 01:06:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

But was it worth it?  We are screwed this offseason guys.  We have zero options other than to amass a bit of scrap heap talent for one more run with a team that was too old and lacked explosiveness on offense to defeat the Lakers.

I don't think a 13 point lead in the middle of the 3rd quarter of game 7 despite losing our starting center to injury really translates to "a team that was too old and lacked explosiveness on offense to defeat the Lakers".

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

But was it worth it?  We are screwed this offseason guys.  We have zero options other than to amass a bit of scrap heap talent for one more run with a team that was too old and lacked explosiveness on offense to defeat the Lakers.

I don't think a 13 point lead in the middle of the 3rd quarter of game 7 despite losing our starting center to injury really translates to "a team that was too old and lacked explosiveness on offense to defeat the Lakers".

Yeah, the revisionist history for how well the Celtics played is baffling. The celtics this past spring were an amazing basketball team. Not OK. Not good. Amazing!

I'm not ready to go through another Acie Earl/Marty Conlon/35 wins annually era.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

Yeah, the revisionist history for how well the Celtics played is baffling. The celtics this past spring were an amazing basketball team. Not OK. Not good. Amazing!

I'm not ready to go through another Acie Earl/Marty Conlon/35 wins annually era.
yeah but it is probably coming, a trade for Ray in February probably could have eliminated that possibility entirely (at least for the next few seasons), though probably would not have led to the NBA Finals this season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
This is the ultimate hindsight is 20/20 thread.  This playoff run that we had was incredibly entertaining and never would have happened without Ray. Im glad we kept him even if it didnt end with banner 18
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Despite all the rumors, trading Ray Allen mid-season might have required accepting a deal like sending him to Cleveland for Delonte West, Zydrunas Ilgauskus in a wink-wink deal to buy him out and let him re-sign with the Cavs, and whoever is needed to balance salaries.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference