Author Topic: If he started the season Cold. I'd Trade Ray Ray for........  (Read 11622 times)

Re: If he started the season Cold. I'd Trade Ray Ray for........
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I understand your point about Attitude. I love ray's that's for sure. But I just feel like We really could be better and realistically Ray's the oldest, weakest member of the bunch. If the Rockets stay healthy and make it to the finals. I could see them beating us with this team.

With Marion though, I think we beat them.

Better than 66 wins and a championship?

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1618
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd also like to point out that although Marion is younger, he has played in a ton of games and the trend seems to be in recent years that he is basically spent by the time the playoffs roll around.  Now that can be reprimanded with reduced regualar season minutes but its not like the Celtics would exactly be getting fresh legs in contrast to Ray.

I can see us beating the Rockets without giving up Ray.
I don't accept the # of games responses to age issues. It doesn't make a difference if a 25 year old plays 20 extra games. The problem with older players is not all the games they played in the past, but the change in their bodies due to age. If they made it through the extra games without serious injury, the games played aren't an issue. The slow down of the body's ability to heal is the actual problem.

Hasn't one of the knocks in recent years with Marion is that by the time the playoffs roll around, this guy is close to spent?  If that illustrates a trend, then its a concern. 

That can happen to a 22 year old or a 32 year old.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
He also never played on a horrible team Before.

What a wake up call that must have been. Playing for a pathetic team like that.

And I'm sure he was watching the finals last year and thinking Man I wish I was in that position.  Maybe it is good to sacrifice a few points per game For a World Championship.

I don't see to many 30 year old studs Turning down the chance to play for this team. IFFFF  we gave him the chance..

And 1 more thing. If you guys don't like Marion As a goof fit, than Who??

I like the Joe J. Suggestion, Hey didn't We draft him or something. Nice trade Wallace, How's Delk and rogers these days ???

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

And I'm sure he was watching the finals last year and thinking Man I wish I was in that position.  Maybe it is good to sacrifice a few points per game For a World Championship.

I don't see to many 30 year old studs Turning down the chance to play for this team. IFFFF  we gave him the chance..

I like the Joe J. Suggestion, Hey didn't We draft him or something. Nice trade Wallace, How's Delk and rogers these days ???

Your projecting your feelings onto him. He's shown no remorse for breaking up a title contender to go try to be a star. how do you know he gave one iota of thought to "man, i messed that up. now i want to win".

not everyone is wired that way.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Joe Johnson
and thats it.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Joe Johnson
and thats it.

(note: post about Binky player. i don't want to debate him again. it didn't happen so let it go.)

If i had a time machine, I'd trade ray for iverson from 8 years ago. rajon and AI at the starting gaurds would be fun to watch.

around the leauge right now, not counting that the teams in question wouldnt do it? Joe johnson, possably Redd.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:33 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Joe Johnson
and thats it.

(note: post about Binky player. i don't want to debate him again. it didn't happen so let it go.)

If i had a time machine, I'd trade ray for iverson from 8 years ago. rajon and AI at the starting gaurds would be fun to watch.

remember that pci fro AI in Cs uniform
still calls my senses from time to time

Joe Johnson ruless... ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 11:35:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
One thing about Marion- even when he was at his most unhappy in Phoenix, he always played as hard as he could in the games.  He never slacked.  It's funny how so many on this site want to give the Darius Miles and Stephon Marbury's the benefit of the doubt but not this guy.  He has never slacked in games or sat out with fake injuries like players such as Vince Carter and Baron Davis.  I'm not saying I would do the trade, but character issues wouldn't be the primary reason for not doing it.  He has one year left on his deal, then he's done.  And I think he's going to be in for a shock when he see's his market value isn't in the same stratosphere as he thinks it is.

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

I think Ray Allen is a perfect fit.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
While it would be nice to see Ray retire a Celtic (and even the owners have expressed that), I don't think Ainge is going to be very sentimental when it comes to trades.  Ray could be a valuable commodity in his expiring contract year because it's a good size contract and his main skill - shooting - isn't diminished by age.

Frankly, I don't know who will available at that time, but I wouldn't doubt Ainge will be in the mix with Ray as trade bait.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I'd love to see Paul retire a Celtic.  I like Ray, but I'd rather just do what's best for the team rather that trying to have Ray retire a Celtic.  It doesn't seem very important to me.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Thanks Moiso. TP for you. I feel the same way whether or not you think he would be a good fit. I don't think He would not give his best effort. Or cause a huge problem Like Artest could.

I do think we would be a better team. We just would need to find A Kyle Korver type for an extra shooter around 6'6".

He wouldn't even have to be that great. We would have plenty of good Wing defenders. Marion is every bit if not more versatile defender Than posey. And we Have Tony And Pierce to guard the smaller Scoring guards.

Maybe we could get either Kapono or anthony parker from toronto

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This year if Ray starts slow you suck it up and wait for the explosion that will come. Next year as a $19 million expiring contract, well, that's a different story. As for who I would trade him for eventually.....Josh Howard.

Dallas might take a big step backwards this year and realize that with Dirk having the ability to opt out in the big 2010 year, they might want to position themselves to have a ton of cash available for one of the big names that will be available. If Dirk doesn't opt out dumping say Howard's and Terry's contract for Allen's expiring deal still might give the Mavs some flexibility to sign someone to put along Dirk to ensure he stays there with an extension.

Miami would do the Marion deal in a heartbeat. Danny wouldn't think twice before hanging up the phone. Marion is a bad fit on this team, mentally and basketball wise.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
Ray is good player.  He is not a great player any more.  If there is a big 3, its Paul, KG, and Rondo.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Ray is good player.  He is not a great player any more.  If there is a big 3, its Paul, KG, and Rondo.

eh, rondo hasen't taken that step yet. he doesn't trust himself on offense, and he still makes stupid kiddie mistakes. in a year or two, he'll be more valuable, but he's still a (very advanced) third year kid learning the ropes.

ray still shot an incredible precentage last year (despite claims by posters who then discount stats. refer to one of the hundered threads where roy laid this out) and was arguably finals MVP (though i loved that pierce got it, ray was probley the "head choice" the heart choice was paul)