Author Topic: Battier  (Read 4440 times)

Battier
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
My second proposal on a Dukie this morning, there must be something in the coffee...

Scalabrine, Pruitt, and Allen for Battier and Strawberry

Houston needs a pointguard and someone under 35 to backup the shooting guard, plus their contract situation improves.

For the C's, this trade shifts the debate away from backup small forward to backup shoting guard, and we end up with the most talented player. I like the prospects of Strawberry/Giddens/House/Battier backing up the deuce over Allen/Giddens/Walker/Scalabrine backing up the three.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Battier
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
good trade if they'ed do it, but i have serious doubts they give up thier defensive stopper, a team leader, and 6th man to gain a 2nd year PG prospect.

the rockets are trying to win now, not later. this trade hurts them alot from that standpoint by subtracting a huge piece of thier bench to add prospects that may or may not pan out.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
good trade if they'ed do it, but i have serious doubts they give up thier defensive stopper, a team leader, and 6th man to gain a 2nd year PG prospect.

the rockets are trying to win now, not later. this trade hurts them alot from that standpoint by subtracting a huge piece of thier bench to add prospects that may or may not pan out.
you have a good point here. but battier will lose a lot of playing time behind artest and T-mac.
he is an excellent 6th man, but the guys he is backing up will play a lot of minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

you have a good point here. but battier will lose a lot of playing time behind artest and T-mac.
he is an excellent 6th man, but the guys he is backing up will play a lot of minutes

true, but he's a 1st team all NBA defender to slap on a guy whenever you want. i don't think you give that up during a championship attempt.

if the rockets were in a diffrent place (and they may be by the trading deadline, yao down= sunk.) i think they consider it. right now its just to valuable to them to have a guy like that on thier bench.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Battier, who Houston acquired for the #8 pick in the draft, is worth more than Scal, TAllen, and Pruitt.

They can and will get more than this junk for Shane.  That said, Battier would be excellent on our squad.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I'd love it...largely because it would be grand larceny for us.

Which means I don't believe there is a chance it would happen because, as Brick alludes, Houston isn't parting with Battier without getting a whole lot more back.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
It never ceases to amaze me how people throw Scal in every trade proposal.  They must be in their own fantasy league.

If anybody wanted him, he'd probably already be gone.  His contribution to this team is very underrated.

I doubt Adleman would want to get rid of one of the few good citizens he has.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
It never ceases to amaze me how people throw Scal in every trade proposal.  They must be in their own fantasy league.

If anybody wanted him, he'd probably already be gone.  His contribution to this team is very underrated.

I doubt Adleman would want to get rid of one of the few good citizens he has.

when people throw in scal, there throwing in his expiring $$, which is valuable,  not the player.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »

Offline celts_brazil

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
No doubt that in any trade made, the first player to go along would be Scal. Last season, we had to go after players like Pollard to even have a bench. This year the Celts have some promising players on the roster, so there's not much room for Scal anymore.

The problem is that Scal is signed through 2009-10, so the $6 million salary would be an inconvenience. Unless the Celtics can send the salary along with him in a trade (most unlikely), he will probably stick around.

One player I would not trade is Pruitt. He showed some promise last year, and he's been solid during the preseason. More than House, I think that eventually he will be the definite substitute for Rondo, since his offense and point guard skills are much better.
Celtics fan since Dave Cowens.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
You wouldn't trade Pruitt for Battier? I'd trade any combination of bench players they ask, plus draft picks and money at will. But not even that would be enough.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I'd love this trade if they do it, it's like getting a better version of James Posey! And you've got Billy Walker and Battier sharing the backup 2 spot when Battier's not backing up Pierce. I am a BIG fan of Battier and would give up half the bench for him.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:16:46 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I've always thought Battier was overrated. That said, i think he would fit perfectly in the Celtics schemes. And the package that we would send in this trade idea would be good for Houston too.

Nice trade idea :)

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:30:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I've always thought Battier was overrated. That said, i think he would fit perfectly in the Celtics schemes. And the package that we would send in this trade idea would be good for Houston too.

good trade for us, but how is a unproven second round PG, a terrable SF in scal, and i guy with 2 major injuries that the league wonders if he'll ever recover from a good deal for a guy who gets in the DPOY voting off the bench and makes all-defensive squads, and can hit the 3, a good deal for houston again?

sounds like a screw job to me if im the rockets.

"uh yeah, you know your defensive stopper and young 2 gaurd, you want to swap young gaurds and trade TA and scal for Battier stright up? whats so funnny? hey...quit laughing....Scal has intangibles!"

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:49:06 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136

good trade for us, but how is a unproven second round PG, a terrable SF in scal, and i guy with 2 major injuries that the league wonders if he'll ever recover from a good deal for a guy who gets in the DPOY voting off the bench and makes all-defensive squads, and can hit the 3, a good deal for houston again?

"uh yeah, you know your defensive stopper and young 2 gaurd, you want to swap young gaurds and trade TA and scal for Battier stright up? whats so funnny? hey...quit laughing....Scal has intangibles!"

shhh ;) Don't say it out loud, just in case Houston's GM is reading this blog hehe

Now seriously, i trully believe it's a nice idea for both teams. Plus, is there room for Battier in the current Rockets?

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

shhh ;) Don't say it out loud, just in case Houston's GM is reading this blog hehe

Now seriously, i trully believe it's a nice idea for both teams. Plus, is there room for Battier in the current Rockets?

yea, as thier 6ht or 7th man. if they were rebuilding, mabey they'd do this. but thier trying to win now. thier not going to give up an all NBA defender they have off the bench that they can toss out on the other teams 2-4 for scal and TA.