Author Topic: Celtics (41-26) at Clippers (38-29) Game #68 3/11/19  (Read 18992 times)

Re: Celtics (41-26) at Clippers (38-29) Game #68 3/11/19
« Reply #285 on: March 12, 2019, 10:47:25 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Morris is just plain pathetic as a power forward. Harrell exposed Morris Jr., again.

CBS is just stupid trying to play small ball against them. You would think he would of learned after the first game. Harrell just kills us.

I think Al Horford was pathetic last night.  He switched on everything, could not cover the guards and then allowed wide open dunks and layups, along with offensive rebounds.  Last night was a harsh reminder of how bad this team can be when it plays uninspired basketball.  It never happens anymore, but I feel like this team can use a good dose of old school basketball, where they are required to play man and they do not get lazy and switch on every single pick.  There was no excuse to not show up on the defensive end last night and I hope they can right the ship with yet another long plane ride home.

Psst. Harrell split time with Zubac at center. No other bigs played (other than Green who is pretty similar to Morris in size). He play 0 pf last night.

I know how its popular to blame CBS or small ball or Morris or something else for losses. But at least make sure its legitimate blame.

So youre saying Al Horford had no help inside? Thats because Morris is a powerless power forward.

« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2019, 10:50:35 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
Sorry - reposting - somehow my response got lost in the quote:

I think Al Horford was pathetic last night.  He switched on everything, could not cover the guards and then allowed wide open dunks and layups, along with offensive rebounds.  Last night was a harsh reminder of how bad this team can be when it plays uninspired basketball.  It never happens anymore, but I feel like this team can use a good dose of old school basketball, where they are required to play man and they do not get lazy and switch on every single pick.  There was no excuse to not show up on the defensive end last night and I hope they can right the ship with yet another long plane ride home.

« Reply #287 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up

Defense was absolute trash last night all around. Zero impact on the ball from our guards besides smart, too much over-helping and over rotations (which has been a problem the last 2 years), and just uninspired effort on that end. There were multiple times where rozier just gave up on guarding his man and passed him off to a big. Whatever happened to guard your yard??
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #288 on: March 12, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday

Defense was absolute trash last night all around. Zero impact on the ball from our guards besides smart, too much over-helping and over rotations (which has been a problem the last 2 years), and just uninspired effort on that end. There were multiple times where rozier just gave up on guarding his man and passed him off to a big. Whatever happened to guard your yard??

It's a problem when defense is inconsistent.  Defense is all about effort and when the Celtics have a chance to move in on the 3rd seed and decide not to show up defensively, it brings back worries about this team's mindset.  We all thought they turned a corner on this trip, but they put themselves in a position in which they cannot be complacent and ride out the end of the year.  Just to put things in perspective, the beatdown on the Warriors doesn't seem so great when they are losing a lot of games to a lot of different teams now.  We got beat as badly last night as we beat Golden State to start the trip.  It is a shame that their talent seems to be wasted this year.

« Reply #289 on: March 12, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
Also, I don’t know if JB is hard of hearing or what but he always has a couple of defensive miscommunications per game. Like, not switching, leaving his man, etc. I don’t know if he doesn’t hear his teammates or forgets the game plan but it happens quite often

The whole team has sucked at communicating on defense for much of this season.  And it's strange, because I didn't feel like that was a weakness for us last year or even early this season (our early stumbles were due to offense, not defense).  Our help defense and off-ball effort used to be very solid.

Now, we botch stuff like matching up on a simple ball screen.  We give up multiple open layups and dunks every game because both defenders will stick to the same guy while the other runs unimpeded to the rim.  We spend too much time guarding empty space on drives and post-ups, neither in far enough to help nor out far enough to defend the kick.  In the occasions that we do rotate out well, we don't help the helper.  All of these point to the fact that we're too often not on the same page on defense.  The frustrating part is that we're seeing Horford and Smart, our two best defenders, make the same mistakes that everybody else is making.  Our defensive rating in the last 15 games is 110.3, which is middle of the pack.  A team with our defensive talent should be much better than this. 

Last night we didn't take a single thing away from LA.  They got free runs to the rim AND wide open threes AND we couldn't clean up our own glass AND they got out in transition off of our turnovers.  The Clippers did whatever they wanted, and we didn't stop them. 

« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I suggested Rozier for Beverley and a 2019 lottery protected pick as a potential trade during the off-season.  Admittedly, I had forgotten that Beverley's knee was completely torn up at the time. 

In hindsight it would have been an excellent move for this years team.  Beverley and Smart in short spurts would be a frightening thought for opposing teams.

« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Watching the game, Morris was made to look like a scrub out there. It’s a real shame he starts. I get not hitting shots but he routinely got beat on D by every member of the Clippers team because they outworked him.

Also, I don’t know if JB is hard of hearing or what but he always has a couple of defensive miscommunications per game. Like, not switching, leaving his man, etc. I don’t know if he doesn’t hear his teammates or forgets the game plan but it happens quite often

I notice that about Brown and have mentioned that in the past. It seems like he averages a couple brain farts a game when it comes to careless turnovers and mental miscues.

I'd love to see Brown succeed here but I've got a feeling if Ainge has his way and deals for AD, that Brown is sent packing with Tatum and whatever else to fill salary. Smart stays.