Author Topic: Clippers gunning for Durant and Kawhi this summer  (Read 4105 times)

Re: Clippers gunning for Durant and Kawhi this summer
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Listening to Simmons podcast with Durant. He loves SGA and said, "Man, Clippers got a nice team." Unfortunately, Simmons kept talking instead of allowing a silence to pull more out of Durant.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
My, my. Wouldn't that be something?

I get a weird sense though that KL might think twice about leaving Toronto though. I don't think it is a guarantee for him to bolt.

I don't think it's a guarantee either, but the Raptors will have to have a great playoffs.

And if you look at the support group (Lowry, Van Vleet, Wright, Green, Miles, Anunoby, Siakam, Ibaka, Valanciunas) you see that's it's a very nice balanced roster full with reliable role players, but not really co-stars.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Durant will end up on the Lakers with James.  He is actively going out of his way to avoid talking about James or talking about James in weirdly negative ways which are totally unprompted.  It just seems like he is creating a ruse to me.

My read on Durant is that he is more direct than that. He isn't a schemer. He seems like the type of guy who says it like it is, especially if you hear him on podcasts.

That's why his comments recently about James carry weight, because he isn't scheming or pulling punches.
Durant is absolutely a schemer and he absolutely cares what people thinks.  He hates bad press.  He is as big a phoney as anyone in professional sports, perhaps ever.  Everything he does, he does for a reason.  He isn't as calculating as James, but he is awful darn close.  Durant is and always has been a villain, but makes it appear that he is not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think Durant will end up on the Lakers with James.  He is actively going out of his way to avoid talking about James or talking about James in weirdly negative ways which are totally unprompted.  It just seems like he is creating a ruse to me.

My read on Durant is that he is more direct than that. He isn't a schemer. He seems like the type of guy who says it like it is, especially if you hear him on podcasts.

That's why his comments recently about James carry weight, because he isn't scheming or pulling punches.
Durant is absolutely a schemer and he absolutely cares what people thinks.  He hates bad press.  He is as big a phoney as anyone in professional sports, perhaps ever.  Everything he does, he does for a reason.  He isn't as calculating as James, but he is awful darn close.  Durant is and always has been a villain, but makes it appear that he is not.

Mk. I disagree.

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Given how much the chatter of him riding coattails of warriors bothered kd (you don’t defend yourself online if you are not upset) I can’t imagine he would go ride Lebron’s Coattails in LA (especially since it appears Lebron has already made them a solid playoff team himself)

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Given how much the chatter of him riding coattails of warriors bothered kd (you don’t defend yourself online if you are not upset) I can’t imagine he would go ride Lebron’s Coattails in LA (especially since it appears Lebron has already made them a solid playoff team himself)

I wouldn't be so sure about all of that.

First, not everyone views Durant as riding coat tails in GSW. I for one happen to think they wouldn't have won the last two titles without him, and view him as the biggest reason they did win. Plenty of other people are starting to come around on this.

Second, I could absolutely see Durant go to LAL with the thought that he can then turn around and lift the Lakers past the Warriors, and possibly to a title. It wouldn't be very difficult to argue Durant was the key piece if he's won on both sides of battle.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I say Durant stay with Warriors or go to New York
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

First, not everyone views Durant as riding coat tails in GSW. I for one happen to think they wouldn't have won the last two titles without him, and view him as the biggest reason they did win. Plenty of other people are starting to come around on this.

Second, I could absolutely see Durant go to LAL with the thought that he can then turn around and lift the Lakers past the Warriors, and possibly to a title. It wouldn't be very difficult to argue Durant was the key piece if he's won on both sides of battle.

Yea I just don’t see it

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yea I just don’t see it

Probably time to pay your optometrist a visit.   ;)

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, I think this would be a great landing spot for KD next summer. People will speculate the Lakers but if KD really wants to try and prove he's the best in the NBA, then joining Lebron and being the #2 on a team where Lebron is #1 won't cut it. Also, he got KILLED for joining the 73-win Warriors team and is consistently getting called a "snake", "soft", etc. Now imagine if he teamed up with Lebron, that'd kill his reputation for good.

The difference with AD joining Lebron is that AD would join by trade, not FA (so it's not AD's decision whereas KD has his own choice to make)

I think there's actually a chance Kawhi decides to stay with TOR, but KD could go to the Knicks or Clippers (if he does leave GSW).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

He was losing chill over LeBron forming a Big 3 in Miami back in 2010, so not surprised if he flips his take on LeBron's Lakers and join the Lakers. He joined a superteam in GSW, too.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Kawhi likely stays in Toronto. He bought a house there.

Oh he’s definitely staying there then... selling a house after 1 year and losing out on commission costs??  ::)

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 01:37:42 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Kawhi likely stays in Toronto. He bought a house there.

Oh he’s definitely staying there then... selling a house after 1 year and losing out on commission costs??  ::)

Epic fail of a reply. Quote one line and ignore the other ten. Embarrassing.

And yeah... for the one part you did manage to slightly address, buying a house is more indicative of staying than leaving I'd say. But then again I'm not nearly as smart as you are.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 02:41:36 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Listening to Simmons podcast with Durant. He loves SGA and said, "Man, Clippers got a nice team." Unfortunately, Simmons kept talking instead of allowing a silence to pull more out of Durant.

Not sure what you’d expect him to say if given the opportunity. If Simmons shut up, would KD had announced his intentions to sign there this summer?

Simmons could have named 15 teams and KD would have been complimentary and people would think he was going there too.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 03:42:16 AM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Um, direct quote from KD?

""He has so many fanboys in the media. Even the beat writers just fawn over him. I'm like, we're playing basketball here, and it's not even about basketball at certain points. So I get why anyone wouldn't want to be in that environment because it's toxic. Especially when the attention is bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. attention, fluff. It's not LeBron's fault at all; it's just the fact you have so many groupies in the media that love to hang on every word. Just get out of the way and let us play basketball."