Author Topic: Celtics will not win a title with Horford under contract  (Read 2888 times)

Celtics will not win a title with Horford under contract
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

What I mean by this is we will not win this year or the next two years when he will make almost 30 million per year.

If he resigns on a more team friendly deal then it's possible. That is the time frame where I expect us to be serious title contenders, but we will need to sign a new star at that point. Is Davis a free agent in two and a half years?

That would be perfect.

Re: Celtics will not win a title with Horford under contract
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is a scorching hot take. 

If they don't win a title, it'll most likely be due to talent, not cap woes.   Celtics have plenty of team friendly contracts at the moment which more than compensate for however overpaid people might think Horford is.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

What I mean by this is we will not win this year or the next two years when he will make almost 30 million per year.

If he resigns on a more team friendly deal then it's possible. That is the time frame where I expect us to be serious title contenders, but we will need to sign a new star at that point. Is Davis a free agent in two and a half years?

That would be perfect.

Another Horford hate thread..... *Yawn*

By the way Davis is signed on for 3 more years, with 20-21 being a player option...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The reason we won’t win in the next two years is due to GSW, not Horford.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, we are kind-of between a rock and hard place on this one. While I kind-of agree, there is really no way for us to sign another big name while keeping what we have. Kyrie's contract is up after next season, Horford's/Jaylen's in 2020, and Hayward's/Tatum's in 2021.

We may be able to re-sign Horford to a more team-friendly contract, but we will still be left with what we have above if we are lucky. Leaving out Horford and assuming we don't re-sign Hayward (big assumption), we are still going to be at 3 max contracts in Kyrie, Jaylen, and Tatum. With the luxury tax and repeater penalties looming on the horizon, the only other option is a trade.

If we trade, say: Horford, Jaylen, Rozier, and the Sac pick for Davis and filler, then we increase our top-level talent on max contracts which is probably the best thing you can do in this climate of insanely high repeater tax penalties.

I will be very very interested to see how Ainge manipulates the salary cap these next few years which should coincide with GSW becoming slightly less dominant.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Well, we are kind-of between a rock and hard place on this one. While I kind-of agree, there is really no way for us to sign another big name while keeping what we have. Kyrie's contract is up after next season, Horford's/Jaylen's in 2020, and Hayward's/Tatum's in 2021.

We may be able to re-sign Horford to a more team-friendly contract, but we will still be left with what we have above if we are lucky. Leaving out Horford and assuming we don't re-sign Hayward (big assumption), we are still going to be at 3 max contracts in Kyrie, Jaylen, and Tatum. With the luxury tax and repeater penalties looming on the horizon, the only other option is a trade.

If we trade, say: Horford, Jaylen, Rozier, and the Sac pick for Davis and filler, then we increase our top-level talent on max contracts which is probably the best thing you can do in this climate of insanely high repeater tax penalties.

I will be very very interested to see how Ainge manipulates the salary cap these next few years which should coincide with GSW becoming slightly less dominant.

The problem is Cavs are going to face one heck of a luxury tax/repeater bill if LeBron does indeed re-sign, and they re-sign Hood to most likely 16-20 million year contract.

Same goes for GSW, and even though Klay has expressed desire to retire in GSW, and even though he has stated numerous times to take a pay cut. I just don't see GSW staying together. I think it makes more sense to keep Bell over Green. I think Bell will eventually become in the same mold as Green, while not able to be the consistent heart and soul of the team, he's already shaping up to become an defensive enforcer and monster.

Keeping Klay over Green in today's NBA makes more modicum of sensibility considering breaking up the Slasph brothers would be inconceivable.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Jesus... we haven't even seen this team work as a fully healthy unit (w/Hayward) and we're making these assumptions??

Sure, you can say he's not worth 30M/Year, but lets be real, even if you let him go or signed him back on a team friendly deal, I don't think you could add a Davis or another star via FA without also trading away a Kyrie (who is up for an extension after next year). Want to make that sacrifice?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Why the negativity?

If Jaylen and Jayson continue to grow, next year's starting lineup with Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford could be incredible. Make some tweaks around the bench and I don't see any reason that team couldn't win a championship in '19 or '20.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why the negativity?

If Jaylen and Jayson continue to grow, next year's starting lineup with Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford could be incredible. Make some tweaks around the bench and I don't see any reason that team couldn't win a championship in '19 or '20.
This is where I am at.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Too much negativity around. After the All Star-break we're gonna be a new fresh team with old habits form the beginning of the season, I do not doubt in Brad at all. We just needed a break, that's all.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Big Al Horford does NOT get enough credit for being the Anchor of our Defense.

Marcus being out hurts, no doubt, but Big Al simply doesn't get enough credit it seems.

He is one of the most well-rounded Bigs in the NBA right now.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Celtics will not win a title with Horford under contract

If he resigns on a more team friendly deal then it's possible.

LOL WAT
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I love this forum, but the redundancy of pessimistic and just flat-out false information, (not gonna state any names, but someone created a thread that actually said Smart was better than Horford,) has really just upset me. I think I'm going to take a month long break from this website. It also saddens me that someone like Horford is so underappreciated here.... Can you believe that several years ago, we had Sullinger, Lee, Mickey, Jerebko, KO, and several others as our big man rotation? Hands down, I take Horford at his max even now compared to any of the big men on our team from 2015-2016.

Marcus being out hurts, no doubt, but Big Al simply doesn't get enough credit it seems.

Agreed. This guy is literally in the conversation for DPOY right now. He's shooting a blistering 43.6% from 3, and averaging 5 APG which leads our team.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Agreed. This guy is literally in the conversation for DPOY right now. He's shooting a blistering 43.6% from 3, and averaging 5 APG which leads our team.

For some reason, for which I cannot understand, certain people feel PPG is the only measure by which a player should be judged.

It's narrow-minded, and fails to account for all the other ways a player can have a major impact on the court.  But such is the way it goes when that's all that gets hyped by ESPN and the likes.