Author Topic: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question  (Read 16277 times)

Re: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Apologies, I just assumed this was about normal "what's your story" kinda chat. I have a degree, but it certainly isn't fancy, I had a drinking problem during college.

My hobbies are embarrassing. Trainspotting Boston teams, beer (sensible amounts) and darts, and things that are peripherally connected to my job (elections and democracy, social movements), heavy metal and hip hop, and learning languages.

Look, I apologize if it came across rude, it certainly wasn't my intention.  If you are proud of your career there is nothing wrong with that.  It's just that reading through the thread all I saw were people talking about their college degrees and advanced careers.  I have a fairly successful career too, but it's not really what I define myself by at all.  But also, people who flip burgers, mop floors, or whatever are interesting/valuable people too (although I'm certainly not implying anyone here said they weren't).  But if that is what others want to talk about, feel free.  I've said my piece on the matter, I don't need to further dwell on it.

Anyhow, what languages have you learned and what prompted you to learn them?  That sounds quite interesting.  And I'd also be interested to hear you expand on what social movements you are most passionate about (we may or may not agree about them - IDK - but I respect someone who does something about a cause they believe in).

I dunno, I just think it was a chance to learn about people's backgrounds.  No one is tearing anyone down.  It is just a starting point for getting to know someone better. 

Most people that have degrees flipped burgers and worked at jobs that didn't pay much at some point.  I agree someones job / career shouldn't define them as a person.  But we have a lot of interesting discussions on this site, sometimes knowing someone else's background might be helpful.

so you are into music a lot huh?  You said you are a phish fan.  I don't own any of their albums, what one should I consider as a starting point?  I saw them cover a few Genesis songs at the rock and roll hall of fame induction.

I certainly did my share of flipping burgers and claiming unemployment benefits when I couldn't get a job right out of college  ;D I didn't think anyone would be interested in that so I went with what others in the thread were talking about. Apologies if it sounded like bragging it was certainly not the intention.

As for my hobbies, I got hooked on computer gaming when I was younger, I was the king of Mortal Kombat back when I was in college. Somehow it's something that I've carried with me throughout my adult life. In fact at the end of this month I'm going to Blizzcon (it's a gaming convention in Anaheim). I went 4 years ago and was amazed at how many 30-60yos there were...made me feel better about my hobby.   :angel: So I play MMOs (Massively Multiplayer Online), FPS (First Person Shooter) and Battle Royale genres. When you're online with other people nobody knows how old or young you are!

What else...I picked up a travel bug when I lived overseas, I love going to other countries and learning about different cultures, you get a greater appreciation of both their culture and your own. Even better when you go off the beaten path and do it on the cheap. My dream is to one day visit some of the historic sites in the Middle East and ancient Mesopotamia, unfortunately with conditions the way they are it will probably be a long time before that area is safe  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2019, 12:04:35 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Apologies, I just assumed this was about normal "what's your story" kinda chat. I have a degree, but it certainly isn't fancy, I had a drinking problem during college.

My hobbies are embarrassing. Trainspotting Boston teams, beer (sensible amounts) and darts, and things that are peripherally connected to my job (elections and democracy, social movements), heavy metal and hip hop, and learning languages.

Look, I apologize if it came across rude, it certainly wasn't my intention.  If you are proud of your career there is nothing wrong with that.  It's just that reading through the thread all I saw were people talking about their college degrees and advanced careers.  I have a fairly successful career too, but it's not really what I define myself by at all.  But also, people who flip burgers, mop floors, or whatever are interesting/valuable people too (although I'm certainly not implying anyone here said they weren't).  But if that is what others want to talk about, feel free.  I've said my piece on the matter, I don't need to further dwell on it.

Anyhow, what languages have you learned and what prompted you to learn them?  That sounds quite interesting.  And I'd also be interested to hear you expand on what social movements you are most passionate about (we may or may not agree about them - IDK - but I respect someone who does something about a cause they believe in).

I dunno, I just think it was a chance to learn about people's backgrounds.  No one is tearing anyone down.  It is just a starting point for getting to know someone better. 

Most people that have degrees flipped burgers and worked at jobs that didn't pay much at some point.  I agree someones job / career shouldn't define them as a person.  But we have a lot of interesting discussions on this site, sometimes knowing someone else's background might be helpful.

so you are into music a lot huh?  You said you are a phish fan.  I don't own any of their albums, what one should I consider as a starting point?  I saw them cover a few Genesis songs at the rock and roll hall of fame induction.

There really isn't a studio album that could ever do Phish the justice they deserve.  It's all about the live experience, as it is with most jam bands.  If you truly are interested, phish.net is a great place to get started immersing yourself.  But here's a youtube link to one of my favorite performances from MSG Fluffhead.  If you want the really good stuff from Phish, though, anything pre-2000 era is fantastic.

Ok, awesome I will check out that show.  Thanks for the link.  TP.