Poll

JRich for Ingles straight up. Who says no?

The Celtics.
2 (16.7%)
The Jazz.
5 (41.7%)
Both teams say no.
4 (33.3%)
Seems like a fair trade.
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Idea: JRich for Ingles straight up  (Read 2721 times)

Idea: JRich for Ingles straight up
« on: January 03, 2022, 08:22:18 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Fwiw, plenty of Jazz fans are ready to move on from Ingles.  I saw this trade being proposed by one of them. Apparently, his defense isn't what it used to be anymore. Would you pull the trigger? Ingles is 34. JRich is 28.

The C's desperately need better ball movement. Ingles is a terrific passer at the swing position. He's also a reliable shooter averaging 38.3% from 3 this season on 5 attempts per game. His career average from 3 is 41.2%.

PG: Smart - Schroder - Pritchard
SG: Brown - Romeo
SF: Ingles - Nesmith
PF: Tatum - Grant - Jabari - Juancho
C: Timelord - Horford - Freedom - Bruno
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:35:18 AM by Jvalin »

Re: Idea: JRich for Ingles straight up
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 09:06:48 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I’d be surprised if the Jazz trade him this season unless he’s a piece in a larger deal. It’s frankly hard to see the Jazz moving any rotation players. They’re right there in the Western Conference.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
wouldn't be against getting Ingles but JRich's play has been improving as the season has progressed and is very solid off the bench.  Would consider a deal using Schroder instead

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 09:37:32 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
wouldn't be against getting Ingles but JRich's play has been improving as the season has progressed and is very solid off the bench.  Would consider a deal using Schroder instead

Denis doesn’t make a ton of sense for them. He also would fit into a TPE in Utah.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 09:54:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I don't see why Utah would do that.  The implication in the article is packaging Ingles + a 1st to get a better player, perhaps signed longer term, not to basically make a lateral move. 

Also, I don't see why Boston would do that.  What does a much older player on an expiring contract do?  There is after all a reason the C's signed Richardson to an extension. 

The value is probably about fair, but I just don't see why either team would do that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 11:42:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Not a good trade for Utah. They want a defensive forward not a defensive guard / wing. They want someone with more physicality and size to matchup against bigger bruising forwards like LeBron, AD, Kawhi, PG13.

Josh Richardson does not answer their needs.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 12:06:55 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Jazz have O’Neale, Bogdanovic, and Gay signed beyond this season while Ingles is in his final season for a small market team that’s capped out, he’s the odd man out. Due to their position in the standing, I don’t see them moving him during the season.

With Richardson being younger, signed beyond this season, and having a solid season for his role, I have to pass even though Ingles is the exact type of veteran we have to bring in to this team. With him having a down year, he’ll be available for the mid-level in the off-season (which makes him a primary target).

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 12:47:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544
I didn't think I'd like Josh Richardson as much as I do.  He's played consistently well in his role (one of the few who has), plays both ends of the court, and his contract is a match for what he brings.   Trading him for Ingles doesn't make much sense to me.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
In a heartbeat. I love me some Joe Ingles.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I remember commenting here (and I acknowledge it was in totally poor taste) that when Hayward went down in 2017, it was too bad that we didn't sign Joe Ingles instead for a fraction of the cost. Obviously it would have been an great move given what happened with Hayward, but he does a lot of things that Hayward does well that we have been missing.

Not crazy about his age or the fact that he is on an expiring, but he would offer a lot more to our team THIS season than JRich when healthy. Don't know if I'd make the deal, though, simply because we are just not very good this season and there's really no reason to trade future tradeable assets for a chance to be slightly above mediocre.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 02:54:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I remember commenting here (and I acknowledge it was in totally poor taste) that when Hayward went down in 2017, it was too bad that we didn't sign Joe Ingles instead for a fraction of the cost. Obviously it would have been an great move given what happened with Hayward, but he does a lot of things that Hayward does well that we have been missing.

Not crazy about his age or the fact that he is on an expiring, but he would offer a lot more to our team THIS season than JRich when healthy. Don't know if I'd make the deal, though, simply because we are just not very good this season and there's really no reason to trade future tradeable assets for a chance to be slightly above mediocre.
The C's have two all-star-caliber (s)wings in Tatum and Brown. Most teams in the league would envy our position. Unfortunately, we are a dysfunctional team. We also have a mediocre head coach (to say the least). People keep arguing that the Jays cannot play next to each other, yet we have made the ECF 2 times in the 4 years they are playing together. Heck, I could even argue they are 2 out of 3 cause Brown entirely missed the playoffs last season. We absolutely have the talent to make a deep playoff run. What we need is players who can thrive alongside the Jays. For instance, we desperately need more passing/better ball movement. Likewise, we could have a use for shooters who are happy to play off the ball. Ingles ticks all the boxes.

Let's say we follow up the Ingles-JRich swap with a Wood-Timelord swap (+fillers). For the record, I'm very high on Wood. He's one of the most versatile bigs in the NBA. I reckon he's good enough to be the third option on a championship team. Imo, Wood >> Timelord. It's not even close.

8-man rotation come playoff time

PG: Smart (16) - Schroder (32)
SG: Brown (28) - Smart (20)
SF: Ingles (32) - Tatum (8 ) - Brown (8 )
PF: Tatum (28) - Grant (12) - Wood (8 )
C: Wood (26) - Horford (22)

(or something along these lines)

All I did is I rearranged our pieces. This would be the 3rd most talented team in the East in my book. At the same time, it would be a perfectly balanced team. With a bit of luck, anything is possible in the playoffs! I mean, we were 1 home win away from the NBA Finals in 2018 with rookie Tatum, Brown, Horford, Rozier, Baynes, Smart and Marcus Morris.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 03:50:06 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 05:52:37 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
No thanks.  Joe now is Gordon Hayward in 3 years.  Richardson is playing extremely well and is a great Defensive player.  The cs need shooting and playmaking badly but Ingles doesn't move the needle and richardson is establishing value.   Especiallyto a contender.  He's a good bench piece.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 07:55:03 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
As Brad Stevens, I would do this in a heartbeat. I think Utah values Ingles, and I'm not sure that the Celtics care that much about JRich.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 08:27:47 PM »

Kiorrik

Only if Danny feels nostalgic for us will the Jazz say yes.

Otherwise they'll just give a short chuckle and then leave us on read.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 06:37:38 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Schroder and Juancho for Ingles.  I checked Utah's roster and I do not see a backup PG