Author Topic: Do you find the 3 ball era to be boring?  (Read 13272 times)

Re: Do you find the 3 ball era to be boring?
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »

Offline DinoGanga

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 31
It’s destroying youth basketball.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Washington Wizards

PG: Darren Collison / Elfrid Payton / Tim Frazier
SG: Avery Bradley / Seth Curry
SF: Jae Crowder / Shaun Kilpatrick / Marcus Thornton
PF: LeBron James / Derrick Williams / JJ Hickson
C: Jusuf Nurkic / Meyers Leonard / Nikola Pekovic

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Do you all believe the 3 point line should be pushed back? These guys in the league are just too good at nailing this shot now. I prefered it when only a handful of 'marksmen' in the league were draining it with consistency.

I believe the court should be expanded. It's too narrow for today's players.

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Do you all believe the 3 point line should be pushed back? These guys in the league are just too good at nailing this shot now. I prefered it when only a handful of 'marksmen' in the league were draining it with consistency.

I don't understand why the distance for 3-pointers isn't the same all the way around the arc.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I don't understand why the distance for 3-pointers isn't the same all the way around the arc.

It's because the court is narrow. Otherwise, the 3 pt line would be brought in.

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't know if it's boring, just different.

I do miss guys who can create their own mid-range shots and true post-up threats, though. There are only two important skills in an NBA offense now and those are taking threes and getting to the hoop/drawing contact. Everything in the world revolves around the PnR.

NBA has been a PnR league forever.  It's just that a lot of fans are used to watching college ball where it is not such a dominant feature of the game.

As for the 3 point era.  My dad loves it because he has been in love with the 3 point shot forever.  Imagine if Bird in his prime was playing in this era?  He could put up 40 points a game.

Trueshot % and analytics aren't wrong.  The 2 point midrange shot is comparatively inefficient because it yields almost as high a chance of missing but lesser reward than the well set up 3 point shot.

Sometimes when you just need a bucket, there's nothing wrong with the 2 point shot.  But look at Jayson Tatum.  His questionmark as a player was -- could he adapt to the modern game and stretch out his 2 to a 3 point shot.  Because he has successfully done so, it makes him the best rookie in his draft class and much more valuable player to us overall.  If Taytum was shooting 30% from 3 instead of 47% I think our outlook on him would be much less rosy even if he was still making clutch 2 point shots from midrange.

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2018, 08:10:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It's the style of offense that is boring. The 80's also had the 3-point line, but it was used sparingly. The offenses focused on players moving, the ball moving via the pass and not the dribble and many of the sets went thru the post.

Now, there is very little back-to-the-basket scoring and offenses are started and run by the dribble. Most sets start with a ball screen and the possession is played on the edge of a foul or a turnover. There are two dominant shots - the 3-pointer and the dunk.

Agreed. I hate it. The amount of time the ball spends 25 feet from the basket, the over-dribbling, the offense revolving around dribble penetration all the time.

It is the hand-checking rule changes.

It has made dribble penetration the most efficient type of offense in the league. So it doesn't make sense for coaches to run their teams differently. It's the rule changes that have created this imbalance in the game. And the 3 point shot increase is a direct consequence of this dribble penetration. It is how to best increase efficiency of the dribble penetration threat. To spread the floor out and make help defense too hard for defenses. This creates teams getting open looks from 3 and needing a big increase in amount of 3s taken every night.

I find it ugly to watch. I am watching less and less NBA over last few years.

It is not one team or an individual style. It is the whole league. They all see the imbalance in the rules and how best to exploit them. That dribble penetration is by far the most efficient type of offense and the offense they must direct the team to play. And that the 3 point shot is imperative to enabling that threat. Every team plays the same style now. Because this is the best way to take advantage of the rules.

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Watching this game I'm starting to get terrified someday I'm gonna hear "Grandpa Grandpa. Tell me about the NBA back when you were young a million years ago."

"Well. Back then we had slashers, penetrators, and dunkers. Guys like Iverson and Michael Jordan, and then Vince Carter and his cousin TMac and Kobe and Paul Pierce and they could get to the hoop or drive and dish or pull up for a mid range jumper.  You could try to defend them with very athletic wings like Scottie Pippen or you could go to your big men and try to clog things and draw fouls and double teams. Guys like Shaq, and KG, and Duncan.  And every once in a while you had a hybrid guy like Dirk or something. And sometimes you had playmakers to set up picks and rolls. Guys like the Mailman and Stockton or Steve Nash or J Kidd."

Then I'll hear "Wait a minute. You mean they didn't just all stand around taking threes?" and I'll say "Well there was this one guy Antoine Walker, but nobody thought that would ever really happen. That was before the rule changes where you couldn't guard people any more. Before the dark times."

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Marcus Smart trying desperately to hit threes constantly is an excellent symptom of everything that is wrong with this league right now.

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
It's aggravating that players will run to the 3 point line on a fast break instead of going to the rim.  These "nerd numbers" that have taken over basketball make it so teams would rather shoot 40+ 3's instead of just going with the flow.

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
There is a whole era of players that pulling up for a three is pretty much all they know. Just now is a great example. Tatum is at the top with 6 seconds to go. No thought whatsoever to driving to get the foul or to drive/dish or to drive pull-up. None. Just jack it up.

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is why Clint Cappella and Jarret Allen can thrive in this league. Those guys would be nothing in years past. Nowadays who will you guard them with? A small forward?

This is why Jaylen Brown will be a great player. He will actually have a diverse game and tons of players will just not understand how he's doing it.

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2018, 11:02:26 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The 3P shot has its place, but it's overdone today. You have guys bombing 3s who shouldn't be--they can't shoot 33%.

I don't like to see a guy shooting a 3 with nobody near the basket to rebound. And you see that often. Passing for an open 3--especially that easy corner shot Bird used to love--is the way it should be done. The Celtics way back to the Auerbach era has been to pass for the best shot--and the 3 should not change that.

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Watching this game I'm starting to get terrified someday I'm gonna hear "Grandpa Grandpa. Tell me about the NBA back when you were young a million years ago."

"Well. Back then we had slashers, penetrators, and dunkers. Guys like Iverson and Michael Jordan, and then Vince Carter and his cousin TMac and Kobe and Paul Pierce and they could get to the hoop or drive and dish or pull up for a mid range jumper.  You could try to defend them with very athletic wings like Scottie Pippen or you could go to your big men and try to clog things and draw fouls and double teams. Guys like Shaq, and KG, and Duncan.  And every once in a while you had a hybrid guy like Dirk or something. And sometimes you had playmakers to set up picks and rolls. Guys like the Mailman and Stockton or Steve Nash or J Kidd."

Then I'll hear "Wait a minute. You mean they didn't just all stand around taking threes?" and I'll say "Well there was this one guy Antoine Walker, but nobody thought that would ever really happen. That was before the rule changes where you couldn't guard people any more. Before the dark times."

Nobody slashes and dunks anymore? What NBA are you watching?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2018, 11:14:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I have no issue with the three point shot, in and of itself. What I do lament, is that it's not a more difficult shot. It shouldn't be a shot that is so easy the majority of the players in the league are capable of making it at the rate they do.

It's a shame that players like Marc Gasol have had to expand their game to include it or get phased out of the game. It's a waste of his much greater talents.

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Nobody slashes and dunks anymore? What NBA are you watching?

I also find this to be inaccurate. I don't see people standing around taking threes. I see them moving off-ball through screens to get open. I also see stars like Harden create separation to launch a 3. Still there's movement.

No driving? What about Lebron, Harden, Giannis, Westbrook, Irving, Derozan, Lillard, George, Simmons, etc, etc