Author Topic: Diana Nyad  (Read 4440 times)

Diana Nyad
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Ex Olympic champion long distance swimmer Diana Nyad (age 64) finally (I think it was her 5th try) succeeded in swimming from Cuba to Florida...This time without a shark cage.  I think she may be the first to do it!  Congratulations, Diana, for trying until you succeeded!  She was in the water for 54 hours.

(The saying is "You never fail until you stop trying!)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Re: Diana Nyad
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Pretty amazing.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seriously unbelievable. We as fans go crazy over athletes who can dunk a ball, hit a home run, and catch a touchdown, but swimming 110 miles in the open ocean for over two days straight deserves more respect than any of these things combined - especially given the danger factor. I am seriously impressed!

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Seriously unbelievable. We as fans go crazy over athletes who can dunk a ball, hit a home run, and catch a touchdown, but swimming 110 miles in the open ocean for over two days straight deserves more respect than any of these things combined - especially given the danger factor. I am seriously impressed!
Especially for a 64 year old female to still have the skill and stamina (we know that we seniors are persistant  ;) ).  I guess distance swimming must be like riding a bike (is that mixing metaphors?)  There are lessons to be learned from her.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
To me it was one of the best stories of the year.  I ended up watching her blog where they tracked her progress through the swim on a google-map-ish thing.

Amazing.  So happy for her to have finally completed her goal.  It is insane that someone who is 64 is in that good of condition to accomplish so much.  Puts us all to shame, and inspires us at the same time.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Did anybody see her face afterwards. Her face got all swollen from the salt n the water and the jekly fish stinging her body. I remember seeing her interview last time and it was the same thing, she could hardly speak for days and she couldmt finish it.  Now to take the same punishment again all over again is pretty amazing.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
That woman's got a swimming Jones
Yup