Author Topic: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers  (Read 30540 times)

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If Cousins demands a trade in near future, that pick swap could turn in Philly's favour.

I'm fairly sure he's already demanded a trade, and it doesn't seem to matter.  If Sac gets two of Ellis, Rondo, and Matthews, they should be competitive enough to keep Cousins from quitting.

Maybe they'll use the space to trade for Bledsoe?
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Sooo does anyone still want to make fun of Hinkie? He just pulled off a heist greater than the Pierce and garnett to brooklyn trade.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sooo does anyone still want to make fun of Hinkie? He just pulled off a heist greater than the Pierce and garnett to brooklyn trade.

No he didn't.  He got no unprotected, non-swap picks.  It was a nice trade.  It's also possible, in fact I'll say plausible, that we get more out of the Rondo trade than he gets out of this.

As the Lakers completely strike out in free agency, his MCW trade is looking better, but I'll take the Brookyln trade over this one still.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
That's how you use cap space as a rebuilding team, folks.

Thank god I am not a Sixers fan. Wake me up when they win 40 games, never mind contend for a title.

Go Sixers ...in 2025.

Celtics might be competitive again in 2025, the 76ers are the ones on track to be great in 2017.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

No he didn't.  He got no unprotected, non-swap picks.  It was a nice trade.  It's also possible, in fact I'll say plausible, that we get more out of the Rondo trade than he gets out of this.

As the Lakers completely strike out in free agency, his MCW trade is looking better, but I'll take the Brookyln trade over this one still.

He got a player drafted high in the lottery last year, a top 10 protected pick, and 2 unprotected right to swap picks WHEN the Kings are a lottery team in 2017 and 2018 the 76ers will get 2 lotto picks. By 2017 the Sixers will be on this rise and the Kings will be plummeting into the deepest depths of heck.

To put it differently they are essentially getting 2 lottery picks, a player drafted in the lottery last year, and a top 10 protected pick. All for taking on 2 players in a salary dump. How does this not impress you?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
That's how you use cap space as a rebuilding team, folks.

Thank god I am not a Sixers fan. Wake me up when they win 40 games, never mind contend for a title.

Go Sixers ...in 2025.

Celtics might be competitive again in 2025, the 76ers are the ones on track to be great in 2017.

That's funny.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He got a player drafted high in the lottery last year, a top 10 protected pick, and 2 unprotected right to swap picks WHEN the Kings are a lottery team in 2017 and 2018 the 76ers will get 2 lotto picks. By 2017 the Sixers will be on this rise and the Kings will be plummeting into the deepest depths of heck.

To put it differently they are essentially getting 2 lottery picks, a player drafted in the lottery last year, and a top 10 protected pick. All for taking on 2 players in a salary dump. How does this not impress you?

That's not what he got.  Apparently you don't know what the trade is.  His swaps are in 2016 and 2017.  And again, swaps are more valuable when you're not aiming for the worst record in the league while the team you're swapping with is trying to be in the playoffs.

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2012

Meh I'll give him some credit, but not a lot.  Unless he's some sort of master manipulator salesman.

This was a great trade, but it's more due to Sacramento being an incompetent organization.  They're banking on not sucking worse than Philly - which isn't a particularly difficult task - but still risky because they are the Kings after all.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the 2018 pick land in the 10-15 range.

Same with the New Orleans trade in which they were able to acquire Noel and Saric (or Payton, if you want to be precise) for an overrated Jrue Holiday.  That's just terrible, terrible management on New Orleans' part.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
What did the Nets get exactly, they were almost as bad as they were b4 our trade. We have 3 firsts (one is JY and swap), Big Z, and IT4 from that trade (did we get 2nds from it too?). If the next 2 Nets picks aren't good then yeah, the 6ers deal is better but we will see.

6ers get swaps the next 2 season but let's get real, 6ers will probably be worse those 2 seasons, their hope is a jump though, if not that was nothing (I think they turn into 2nds). I also think the 2018 pick is top 10 protected, they have to wait years for the pick if Kings start tanking by '18 (possible lol). Forgot to add Stauskas (nice grab btw).

Their deal is a very nice one too but it's too early to say theirs is better than ours.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:58:50 AM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

That's not what he got.  Apparently you don't know what the trade is.  His swaps are in 2016 and 2017.  And again, swaps are more valuable when you're not aiming for the worst record in the league while the team you're swapping with is trying to be in the playoffs.

I got the years wrong but its still a great trade. You realize the 76ers are giving up nothing right? They have unused cap space and are just turning it into extra picks and lottery players. The Kings will not make the playoffs in next year or the next as they are in the Western conference which is absolutely brutal. Even if the 76ers finish 5th worse and the Kings are the 10th worst. The swap takes place after the lottery so if the Kings win and get the number one pick it automatically becomes the 76ers pick.

Do you like the Celtics being the 7th seed and getting swept every year? Do you enjoy watching our heap of average to slightly above average players overachieve and squeak into the playoffs? Does the thought of drafting roleplayers like Terry Rozier send shivers down your spine? If so than this Celtics team is for you. Dont you want to draft another allstar like Paul Pierce? We cant do that with the 15th pick. And we can't trade for one unless we have a top 5 lotto pick. And of course we can't sign one in free agency unless we already have an allstar player here.

Thus the only solution is to tank and accumulate extremely valuable picks and talented players. THe only picks worth anything in the NBA draft are top 5 everything else is basically worthless. It's a sad way to rebuild but it is about the only way.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
  • GOT IT!!!
Looking at records the Kings basically have to finish around .500 next season to not have a top 10 pick. Considering they won 29 games last season and the West will be better I don't see it currently. Regardless the Kings are terribly run because they've traded away their picks to try and get smoked in the first round of the playoffs. The odds are definitely in the Sixers favor.

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Looking at records the Kings basically have to finish around .500 next season to not have a top 10 pick. Considering they won 29 games last season and the West will be better I don't see it currently. Regardless the Kings are terribly run because they've traded away their picks to try and get smoked in the first round of the playoffs. The odds are definitely in the Sixers favor.

All they have to do next 2 years is be better than Philly.  Even if they win the lottery, the picks are top 10.protected.  Philly just took 3 bad players off their hands, have they started trying to win yet?

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
In case anyone missed it...

I have written threads about Nik stauskas. Before the draft I suggested we should trade #16 for him based on the premise that I believed stauskas was a better gamble than whatever garbage we were selecting 16.

I'm now on record as saying that I'll be shocked if rozier has a better career than Nik stauskas. So Eddie, if you're out there, here's another long-time stance of mine that you can now attribute to my "love of the 76ers".

So... Sooooo jealous of Philly fans.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
  • GOT IT!!!

All they have to do next 2 years is be better than Philly.  Even if they win the lottery, the picks are top 10.protected.  Philly just took 3 bad players off their hands, have they started trying to win yet?

They're only top 10 protected from Chicago.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
In case anyone missed it...

I have written threads about Nik stauskas. Before the draft I suggested we should trade #16 for him based on the premise that I believed stauskas was a better gamble than whatever garbage we were selecting 16.

I'm now on record as saying that I'll be shocked if rozier has a better career than Nik stauskas. So Eddie, if you're out there, here's another long-time stance of mine that you can now attribute to my "love of the 76ers".

So... Sooooo jealous of Philly fans.

Oh, I agree with you on Stauskas, and I wouldn't be shocked if I've written more positively of him than you.  But people are overstating the swap.  If the Kings finish with the 9th best lottery odds and the Sixers finish second, this gives the 6ers some insurance if the Kings leap.  But let's be clear, we're talking Philly likely moving from 4th to 2nd in such a scenario, and not from out of the lottery to the top 3.  It has value, and moving up 1-3 spots is great at the top of the draft, but the reason Sacramento did this is they see the downside of the swap as picking at 5 if the lottery goes crazy. It's not like how the Hawks almost got to switch from 29 to the lottery.