Author Topic: 2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)  (Read 5822 times)

Re: 2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree about Brown.  Unless the Sixers get to the ECF and are competitive in that series, I think he's gone.

What is a coach supposed to do with a team centered around Russell Westbrook?  Nothing you do is really going to change the basic nature of the team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Presti can’t seem to fill out a proper roster outside of one or two guys. Have to assume he’ll can Donovan to save his own hide this season.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't OKC pick up the option guaranteeing him for 2019-20 earlier in the season? OKC ownership do make a lot of decisions based around money. Not sure they are the type of ownership to guarantee Donovon in January and fire him in April. They are too cheap. I think they give Donovon another chance since they will be paying him one way or the other.

I think Brown is safe barring being swept by Toronto.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
The OKC situation is pretty messy, although Donovan is a mediocre coach, the problem is they have approx $80mil tied up in Russ, PG and Steven Adams.

I don’t see anything changing next season unless they free up some cap space somehow.

Short of trading away Russ and totally starting fresh, the only other option is trading away Adams, who might benefit from a fresh start on a team that will ultilise his strengths and needs a center.

The 76ers are in a very similar situation in terms of mediocre coaching but they also have free agency to deal with and the uncertainty that brings.

I think both coaches are in trouble but I don’t think either team will be any better if there are changes made in the offseason.

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The OKC situation is pretty messy, although Donovan is a mediocre coach, the problem is they have approx $80mil tied up in Russ, PG and Steven Adams.

That's not a bad core at all though. In fact, that's the making of a great defensive team - which they've been at times this season. The problem is they need to upgrade the supporting cast but are capped out. PG is by far their best shooter so when he has the ball, there are no shooting threats to make opposing teams pay for doubling him. Imagine that team with a JJ Redick or a Danny Green? Even a Bojan Bogdanovic would make them so much better.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think Billy Donovan of OKC and Brett Brown may get the ax esp if OKC lose in 1st round and 76ers in 2...just my opinion..what do u guys think?

Hard to say...I think Brown stays given that Colangelo totally turned over the roster mid-season for the playoff push.  You have to give Brown at least a full offseason / season with a veteran roster before judgment.

Donovan never really made sense in OKC:  successful college coach walking into a team with the major egos.  You need an ex-NBA player to smooth that over.  If Donovan wants to still coach in the NBA he might be better off trying to build his own team a la Quinn Snyder.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 06:17:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don’t see anything changing next season unless they free up some cap space somehow.

Short of trading away Russ and totally starting fresh, the only other option is trading away Adams, who might benefit from a fresh start on a team that will ultilise his strengths and needs a center.

The 76ers are in a very similar situation in terms of mediocre coaching but they also have free agency to deal with and the uncertainty that brings.

I think both coaches are in trouble but I don’t think either team will be any better if there are changes made in the offseason.

I think you are a little off on your numbers. According to Hoopsyhype, those three are owed a total of $97M next season, not $80M...and they are all signed through at least 2021, as well (George has a $38M option for 2021-22).

That's not to say they don't have a decent core, but they basically are what they are right now, unless management is willing to make a major change (like trade Westbrook into a team's salary space this offseason).

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think Adams is what really kills them. If they could split that money into 3 good role players that fit well, you could see them doing something in the future. I don't think he is moveable with that contract though.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
messing around on trade machine for the Thunder and assuming they get a decent coach

Here are some trades that I think make sense for both teams

Adams for Hardaway and Jackson.  Hardaway almost as bad a contract, but a pretty darn good shooter and would fit nicely between Russ and PG.  I like that move for Dallas as well as it gives them some interior toughness and rebounding to pair with the Zinger's outside game.

Adams for Covington and Dieng.  Gives Towns a real inside partner and unloads Dieng.  For OKC they get Covington who is a solid 3-D player and a more offensive oriented center who at least has 3 point range (34% this year).

If the Lakers strike out in free agency, maybe Adams for Wagner and Hart.  I think that could be a good trade for both teams, though LA might not want to commit to Adams that long (I'd think they have to do something though).

Adams for Drummond straight up would be interesting.  I think Adams, while not as good, is probably a better fit with Blake, while OKC could also better use what Drummond brings.

Charlotte has a lot of interesting potential trades. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas that might work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 09:43:09 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Presti can’t seem to fill out a proper roster outside of one or two guys. Have to assume he’ll can Donovan to save his own hide this season.

Remember when Presti was one of the wonderboy GM's in the league ? I think putting together a championship team in the NBA may be the toughest balancing act of the four major pro sports. I know he managed in different eras, but I still find it amazing that Red built three completely different multi-title groups. Phil Jackson couldn't build a sand castle and Pat Riley inherited the Laker team he coached and Lebron James put together the Heat teams Riley managed, so that's why Red is still the greatest in NBA history. I find it funny how those two guys still have bitter feelings towards the Celtics franchise and take verbal shots when they get a chance, to this day.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:48:05 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 10:42:28 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Presti have great eye for drafting solid players but as an overall GM, he's overrated. Can't seems to find the main problem on the roster, neither does he do a good job surrounding his players with the right talent.

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 11:42:40 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
May be able to add Luke Walton to the list.

Hired and possibly fired without even coaching a game?

Let's see how quickly this story unfolds.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 12:55:43 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Per Woj:

Phoenix has fired coach Igor Kokoskov, league sources tell ESPN.

Also per Woj:

Suns had planned to bring Kokoskov back for a second season, especially after the team's stronger play in late stages of the season. Kokoskov has been a well-respected tactician who becomes another victim of the constant turnover in Phoenix.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Per Woj:

Phoenix has fired coach Igor Kokoskov, league sources tell ESPN.

Also per Woj:

Suns had planned to bring Kokoskov back for a second season, especially after the team's stronger play in late stages of the season. Kokoskov has been a well-respected tactician who becomes another victim of the constant turnover in Phoenix.
After realizing what Kokoškov has been saying all along, that they should have taken Dončić as 1st, Sun's front office felt like this was the best move for their egos. Since it is not good to have smart and truthful people surrounding you. Not good for keeping your job an extra year or two that is.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 03:49:04 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

I think you are a little off on your numbers. According to Hoopsyhype, those three are owed a total of $97M next season, not $80M...and they are all signed through at least 2021, as well (George has a $38M option for 2021-22).

That's not to say they don't have a decent core, but they basically are what they are right now, unless management is willing to make a major change (like trade Westbrook into a team's salary space this offseason).

You’re right, the $80mil was just a rough guess... Ouch $97mil makes it even harder. While that core is nice, if you add Schroeder’s $15mil, Roberson’s $10mil, Grant at $9mil and Patterson’s player option they have zero cap space to work with.

I’d think about keeping Noel and package Adams for a spot up shooter.