Author Topic: R.I.P Utah Gordon Hayward  (Read 1992 times)

R.I.P Utah Gordon Hayward
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:35:39 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
After scoring 7 points (yet again) and getting to the line 0 times in a must win game I think it's safe to throw some dirt on Hayward's prime.   

Fans of the site will know I've been rooting for Hayward all season, but was skeptical of his return to form.  Beyond disagreeing with the manner in which the youthful Brad Stevens chose to reintegrate him with the rest of the team,
I saw a player who was erratic, physically diminished, and mentally distracted.  While many projected him to be a key playoff piece I cautioned against relying on a player who could only muster about 11 points a game during the regular season. 

Stunningly, the mild-mannered Brad Stevens (perhaps a frequenter of these boards) seemed hell-bent on relying on the entirely unreliable Hayward, forcing him into the playoff lineups and upping his minutes to around 30 per game.

Hayward predictably took a step back health-wise and confidence-wise and with the increased workload.  His FG% and scoring dropped in the playoffs to 42% and 9.9 ppg respectively.     

Not surprisingly for Utah fans, Hayward was unable to make it out of the second round.  The Celtics' game 1 win against the Bucks represented the first and only round 2 playoff win of his career.

If you were a Hayward truther this season and let it get the best of you it's alright.  This thread is a safe space.  No judgement.  Many of you are out there and from all of Celtics nation I want to let you know it's alright to come back to the fold.

So write a fond memory, vent, continue to present the case for an improved Hayward, or maybe apologize for calling people trolls who were simply calling out the red flags along the way. 

Re: R.I.P Utah Gordon Hayward
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:39:58 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
It sucks that Hayward wasn't a key piece on the team this year. I think what I've determined, regarding Hayward but also the team more generally, is this following:

1. There really is such thing as too many scorers--guys like Smart and Baynes who don't need the ball in their hands to make a difference actually could benefit a guy like Hayward. Instead, we have too many guys who think they're THE GUY. In short, I can see Hayward improving in an "addition by subtraction" situation.

2. I would love to see Hayward without Kyrie.

With that being said, most of us here have realistically predicted that Hayward would never be back to his old self this year. I am waiting until this time next year to really determine what's left in the tank for Hayward.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:41:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Hayward is a hard case. Ultimately I think you have to see what he has next year, a full year removed from the set back he suffered on his initial injury and with a full summer to work on his game, explosion, ect. The Paul George comparison gives you hope.

That said, Hayward has shown a clear loss of athleticism. he cant beat Brook Lopez of the dribble. George was 24 when he was injured, Hayward was 27 and is now 29. He is at the point when guys start to lose athleticism anyway. And he was never as athletic as PG was to begin with. If he can't get by guys, and can't finish at the rim it severely limits his offense effectives. We will have to see, cuz he is likely untradeable. 

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Fans of the site will know I've been rooting for Hayward all season

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:58:16 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
30 million wasted

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 12:10:13 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Where was Paul George at the end of his first season back from a horrible leg injury that also resulted in missing a year of meaningful basketball activities ? Add that to the fact that Hayward was dropped into a completely foreign offensive style than the type he flourished in as a Jazz - a style that buried his best talents under a parquet scrum of confusion that was the Celtics offense this season.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 12:11:41 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Where was Paul George at the end of his first season back from a horrible leg injury that also resulted in missing a year of meaningful basketball activities ? Add that to the fact that Hayward was dropped into a completely foreign offensive style than the type he flourished in as a Jazz - a style that buried his best talents under a parquet scrum of confusion that was the Celtics offense this season.

PG was better ta tis point in his recovery tha Hayward was. But it is true he didn't have to deal with all the other stuff.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:12:25 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

18 months out, I'm pretty sure PG was an All-Star.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:20:27 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Assuming Gordon returns in the fall, ask me the question then.

My thought is a significant injury like that might require more than the one year of healing, and one year of playing to return to a closer to normal status.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

Paul George is so much better than Hayward. His numbers coming back from injury dwarf Hayward's numbers. Again, the C's won't get close to equal value for that contract.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 12:26:00 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Happy first birthday to post injury Boston Gordon Hayward. 2019 is gonna be dope

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 12:31:38 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
One thing's for sure, next season's Celtics will look different now that Ainge and the Celts will be focusing on getting Anthony Davis.

It's true that the Celts just have too many guys that think they're the man.

Hayward will benefit if one of the two among Jaylen and Jayson will be traded.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 12:33:21 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Paul George is so much better than Hayward. His numbers coming back from injury dwarf Hayward's numbers. Again, the C's won't get close to equal value for that contract.

Yeah, people need to stop comparing. It did take PG a year after playing to get back to elite level, but he was far more productive when he came back.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 01:07:41 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I still don't get why fans trash Hayward

If he can't do the things he used to do due to injury, how on earth is that haywards fault and justification for calling him names or saying he sucks? It isn't his fault