Author Topic: What do we blame this season on? (Tongue-in-cheek... sort of)  (Read 3346 times)

Re: What do we blame this season on? (Tongue-in-cheek... sort of)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Ironically, the two biggest factors of what went wrong this year are also the two most valued assets by most TV pundits and Celtics fans. To me, Stevens and Kyrie doomed this season. Most fans and pundits picked the Celtics to come out of the East, before the season began. Yet, if it wasn't for Olidipo getting injured the Celts would have been the fifth seed and easily could have experienced a first round exit. This season was abysmal on so many levels. Stevens has to take his share of the blame. My biggest criticism of him is he doesn't hold players accountable. He seems to always want to avoid confrontation. Many fans are enamored by his calm, unflappable demeanor. But if you don't hold your players accountable and don't inspire your players to consistently play hard, what good is that kind of demeanor ? Also, his game strategies are lame. Throughout the year, the Celts gave up big leads. Why ? Because, they continued to over-rely on chucking up 3's and rarely got points in the paint or foul shots. And losing four straight playoff games, after easily winning the first is downright embarrassing. There's no fight in this team. The players have to take some responsibility for this, but so does Stevens. Brad is just too passive. I never bought all the hype he was getting last year. Secondly, Kyrie's playoff performance was abysmal also. It's ironic that Irving was calling out team mates, saying they don't know what it takes to be winners. Yet, the team did much better without Irving last year. And this year, it's hard to imagine Kyrie playing worse than he did. Unfortunately, Stevens job is secure b/c of his relationship with Ainge. But I, for one, will be glad if Kyrie walks. The T-E-A-M will be better off; addition by subtraction.     

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think the Celtics as an organization would have zero self-respect to resign Kyrie

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I blame Jeff Clark and SB Nation.  Those b******s shut the blog down on the eve of the most anticipated season in a decade.  When the blog was sold to SBN, it was promised we'd never jettison the forums.  So much for promises.  The powers that be bent to corporate pressure.

Man, I've been here for so many years now and I just assumed you and Jeff were friends 'til the end. I know you have the "tongue and cheek...sort of" thing in your subject line, but I don't know that you would have gone there if there was absolutely no truth to having some frustration for how it all went down (like specifically naming Jeff, rather than just SB). Maybe one day we will get a tell-all book.

Anyway, put me in the Lakers/Rich Paul/AD column. I have complained about it more times than I can count, but a useless, arbitrary rule (Rose Rule) likely ruined this season and may implode our team this off-season. If somehow, someway, Kyrie decides to stay and we trade for AD, then I suppose this can be salvaged. It still doesn't change the disaster that was this season.

And let's not forget about how poorly the draft tie-breakers went for us. Literally worst case scenario.

Yes, we'll do a CelticsBlog 30 for 30 someday, haha. 

While I've got some feelings toward SBN and the behind the scenes stuff, we wouldn't be here without Jeff.  Honestly, the worst CB related news this year, by far, was Bob Day passing unexpectedly and way too soon.  FLCeltsFan's home being destroyed was terrible, too, even though I'm extremely proud of the fan base coming together to provide some assistance.

I don't want to get too heavy, but really, this is a season I'll have some dark feelings about for a long time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Ironically, the two biggest factors of what went wrong this year are also the two most valued assets by most TV pundits and Celtics fans. To me, Stevens and Kyrie doomed this season. Most fans and pundits picked the Celtics to come out of the East, before the season began. Yet, if it wasn't for Olidipo getting injured the Celts would have been the fifth seed and easily could have experienced a first round exit. This season was abysmal on so many levels. Stevens has to take his share of the blame. My biggest criticism of him is he doesn't hold players accountable. He seems to always want to avoid confrontation. Many fans are enamored by his calm, unflappable demeanor. But if you don't hold your players accountable and don't inspire your players to consistently play hard, what good is that kind of demeanor ? Also, his game strategies are lame. Throughout the year, the Celts gave up big leads. Why ? Because, they continued to over-rely on chucking up 3's and rarely got points in the paint or foul shots. And losing four straight playoff games, after easily winning the first is downright embarrassing. There's no fight in this team. The players have to take some responsibility for this, but so does Stevens. Brad is just too passive. I never bought all the hype he was getting last year. Secondly, Kyrie's playoff performance was abysmal also. It's ironic that Irving was calling out team mates, saying they don't know what it takes to be winners. Yet, the team did much better without Irving last year. And this year, it's hard to imagine Kyrie playing worse than he did. Unfortunately, Stevens job is secure b/c of his relationship with Ainge. But I, for one, will be glad if Kyrie walks. The T-E-A-M will be better off; addition by subtraction.     

Paragraphs breaks are a thing. I just watched this horrid game, I can't even see all of that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

Offline umpacu

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't know who to blame, but I'm glad that this season is over. I cannot find words to describe my feelings. Disappointed, frustrated, confused, hurt. None of those are enough.

However, I think Kobe deserves an honorable mention. He totally broke Tatum. He made him work on the most inefficient offense possible, and Tatum's defense this year has been atrocious.

What a waste of a season. I thought I would love this team. And I ended up hating it. I guess I need to take some time from the Celtics.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 10:30:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I blame Jeff Clark and SB Nation.  Those b******s shut the blog down on the eve of the most anticipated season in a decade.  When the blog was sold to SBN, it was promised we'd never jettison the forums.  So much for promises.  The powers that be bent to corporate pressure.

Man, I've been here for so many years now and I just assumed you and Jeff were friends 'til the end. I know you have the "tongue and cheek...sort of" thing in your subject line, but I don't know that you would have gone there if there was absolutely no truth to having some frustration for how it all went down (like specifically naming Jeff, rather than just SB). Maybe one day we will get a tell-all book.

Anyway, put me in the Lakers/Rich Paul/AD column. I have complained about it more times than I can count, but a useless, arbitrary rule (Rose Rule) likely ruined this season and may implode our team this off-season. If somehow, someway, Kyrie decides to stay and we trade for AD, then I suppose this can be salvaged. It still doesn't change the disaster that was this season.

And let's not forget about how poorly the draft tie-breakers went for us. Literally worst case scenario.

While I've got some feelings toward SBN and the behind the scenes stuff, we wouldn't be here without Jeff.  Honestly, the worst CB related news this year, by far, was Bob Day passing unexpectedly and way too soon.  FLCeltsFan's home being destroyed was terrible, too, even though I'm extremely proud of the fan base coming together to provide some assistance.

I don't want to get too heavy, but really, this is a season I'll have some dark feelings about for a long time.

Yeah, on the floor and at CB/CS, it's just been awful all around. I think all of us will be happy for the new year to begin.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I’ve never had more complicated feelings towards a Celtics team.

Kyrie is the guy I blame most for this season. I don’t know if he’s just not ready to be the guy he tried to be this year or if he can’t ever be the guy he tried to be this season, but he came up short.

Then you have to ask the question; is it his fault
For not being that guy or is it Brad/Danny’s fault for not enabling him to be that guy?

Is it Tatum/Brown/Rozier/Hayward’s fault for not being better this year under Kyrie’s leadership or is it Kyrie’s fault for not enabling his teammates further?

I honestly don’t know, but I do know that the team I watched this year didn’t bring me joy. And it seems like they didn’t bring themselves joy.

I know what I ‘hope’ happens. I hope the Celtics, whoever they are next year, don’t limp through the regular season to a joyless 48 wins. I don’t care if it’s Kyrie, Kemba or Terty manning the point. I don’t care if it’s AD or Horford or both manning the middle. I take that back, I hope we keep Horford and Tatum. I hope we give the young guns some burn. If Kyrie stays he stays if not I will be okay.

I hope whoever we are next year we enjoy the games even if we win less.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I’ve never had more complicated feelings towards a Celtics team.

Kyrie is the guy I blame most for this season. I don’t know if he’s just not ready to be the guy he tried to be this year or if he can’t ever be the guy he tried to be this season, but he came up short.

Then you have to ask the question; is it his fault
For not being that guy or is it Brad/Danny’s fault for not enabling him to be that guy?

Is it Tatum/Brown/Rozier/Hayward’s fault for not being better this year under Kyrie’s leadership or is it Kyrie’s fault for not enabling his teammates further?

I honestly don’t know, but I do know that the team I watched this year didn’t bring me joy. And it seems like they didn’t bring themselves joy.

I know what I ‘hope’ happens. I hope the Celtics, whoever they are next year, don’t limp through the regular season to a joyless 48 wins. I don’t care if it’s Kyrie, Kemba or Terty manning the point. I don’t care if it’s AD or Horford or both manning the middle. I take that back, I hope we keep Horford and Tatum. I hope we give the young guns some burn. If Kyrie stays he stays if not I will be okay.

I hope whoever we are next year we enjoy the games even if we win less.

Kyrie had no leadership

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This season sucked.  There's the crap show on the court, the off-court drama with Kyrie and others, the regression of several players, Hayward not recovering like expected.  Then, there was the serious stuff:  Jabari Bird, an assistant coach on staff despite him accepting bribes, Danny's heart attack, and I'm sure a whole bunch of stuff I'm missing.

There are plenty of targets for blame:  Coach Stevens, Danny, Kyrie, Tatum.  But I'm going in another direction.  I blame Jeff Clark and SB Nation.  Those b******s shut the blog down on the eve of the most anticipated season in a decade.  When the blog was sold to SBN, it was promised we'd never jettison the forums.  So much for promises.  The powers that be bent to corporate pressure.

So, that's where I'm laying the blame.  The Curse of CelticsBlog.  Whatever happens from here on out lays at the feet of Vox Media.

Who's your scapegoat?

Irving

Goukie88 and RJ87, say goodbye to your boy

I couldn't believe my eyes today, of his selfish hero ball play

I guess fitting way to end his tenure in a Celts jersey

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Lakers. And Kobe. And last year's playoff run.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 10:40:07 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
probably my fault for switching to bourbon.   

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 10:40:36 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
The rain...

The bolded helps put things in perspective.  At the end of the day, it's entertainment.  Celtics are a huge part of my life and I probably spend too much time and mental energy investing in this team, but I wouldn't change anything.  There are no highs without lows.  I'm choosing to treat the end of this season as an opportunity to reset and hopefully this offseason we can recapture some of the positive energy we lost this year.

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wyc looked digusted behind the bench... I even saw him give a cut eye towards Kyrie direction a few times during timeouts

changes are coming for sure

Danny tried, but not all trades are going to be home runs

Ultimately I feel that the basketball gods, punished Danny and Celts org, for how IT4 was treated

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
1. Kyrie:

The off court drama probably got too distracting. He never became the leader that he said he was going to.

2. Brad

I don't understand how we got worse somehow and how inept we are on offense on most times. Part of that is coaching.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
probably my fault for switching to bourbon.

No, you made the right choice.